Net neutrality

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Net neutrality

Post by Bigdog »

Since the Internet has just been classified and a telecommunications thing...like a phone...so there are laws regulating the use of the such....jail time or fines....so if we download music, just like downloading movies...what are the implications if the sites are questionable or turn out to be illegal....or they didn't pay for the right to use the music..... I see a big can of worms as now the FCC could be involved plus the FBI and other alphabet agencies...

Transferring music on the net now is under the microscope....or am I missing something?

The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) Everybody is watching everyone, makes you wonder?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm going to say any download from a country that isn't complying with the US copyright laws would be illegal and compounded because you did it with a communication device...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

This would just be for starters.....you would also have copyright offenses and piracy charges....

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crim ... 2.000.html
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Net neutrality... Bigdog's new ebola...:lol: Net neutrality is the concept that internet service providers should give consumers equal access to all legal content and applications and to stop them from discriminating between content-makers by blocking or deliberately slowing some content while offering prioritization for those willing or able to pay. This is what the FCC regulates.

It has always been illegal to download copyright protected material. Don't you recall years ago when people were sued, fined, and/or imprisoned for downloading mp3s?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The fact that it has been designated a communication device is the big difference....easier to procecute. The crimes can be compounded with heavy penalties...

Even buying and downloading a song from a web site in another country that doesn't pay copyright royalties to the music owners in the U.S. puts you in big trouble. With many charges, fines and jail time.

Let's put it this way.....I won't be buying anymore songs from outside the U.S.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Once again you let paranoia get the best of you. The internet is not a device. The FCC is not an internet policing organization. They're like the water commission that makes sure that everyone get equal access to water but doesn't come to your home to see what you are doing with it.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) A few links that might be the answer to the question of our out of date copyright laws?

http://www.ascap.com/press/2015/0310-as ... -elizabeth

Once you get to the site you have to search under senate sub committee.

It would seem that the ASCAP is pushing for one stop licensing of a company, so they can use the product for what they are doing and be covered for the particular commercial they have applied for. Very similar to the PRS system already in place in other countries.

Years ago I have floated the idea of a operator's license for karaoke. Many of the so called legal hosts attacked me quite vigorously saying I was a pirate supporter for even suggesting such a thing. Now with SC supporting what they call an operator's license, I wonder if they are pirates supporters?

It would seem that my far fetched idea is coming closer to being the final solution to copyright laws that are out of step and out of date. As new applications come on line our copyright laws need to come up to speed or they will continue to fall behind the rest of the world. It would be indeed ironic that the country that produces the most new music in the world, would not have current karaoke versions of the songs, since the current karaoke producers have been forced out of business in this country. That the only new karaoke music would come from other countries, such as England.

P.S. the main change they are seeking is an over haul of the 74 old year consent decree, to come up to modern times.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:The fact that it has been designated a communication device is the big difference....easier to procecute. The crimes can be compounded with heavy penalties...

Even buying and downloading a song from a web site in another country that doesn't pay copyright royalties to the music owners in the U.S. puts you in big trouble. With many charges, fines and jail time.

Let's put it this way.....I won't be buying anymore songs from outside the U.S.
Then I guess you won't be buying any more karaoke songs if what is being pushed in congress doesn't come to pass.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Oh by the way if you want it to pass please sign the petition at:

https://www.change.org/p/bob-goodlatte- ... ef=Default
Bigdog

Re: Net neutrality

Post by Bigdog »

If you down load a song from a site that doesn't comply with our copyright laws...you're in violation for piracy....and since you did it on a communication device...every alphabet agency has all of your info...ip address, name, address, phone....plus your credit card info as additional proof of your illegal action.

And yes I don't need illegal music ....especially with a paper (electronic) trail like that....and compounded by using a communication device to commit the crime.

The next question is...discs from other countries would probably be illegal to buy if the songs were copyrighted (owned) in the US. If they aren't paying royalties for the use of the music.

Playing with fire....
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:If you down load a song from a site that doesn't comply with our copyright laws...you're in violation for piracy....and since you did it on a communication device...every alphabet agency has all of your info...ip address, name, address, phone....plus your credit card info as additional proof of your illegal action.

And yes I don't need illegal music ....especially with a paper (electronic) trail like that....and compounded by using a communication device to commit the crime.

The next question is...discs from other countries would probably be illegal to buy if the songs were copyrighted (owned) in the US. If they aren't paying royalties for the use of the music.

Playing with fire....
No they don't. Where do you come up with this stuff? Any law enforcement agency still has to go through the proper channels to subpoena your personal information. That's how it has always been and net neutrality has done nothing to change this.

If you by your songs from a legitimate source they will offer disclaimers about the legitimacy of the use of their products in other countries. If you break copyright laws it would be willfully. You can let your paranoia keep you from buying new music but most of the rest of us feel comfortable buying karaoke songs from a site like TriceraSoft.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I guess you never heard about 9/11 and all the survailence that now takes place...starting with the NSA...and the alphabets all started sharing information about illegal activities..

A little history lesson perhaps....they couldn't get Al Caopne for his illegal mafia criminal activity....but they got him for income tax evasion... The Internet rules were changed to catch more people with a communication device....meaning they don't need a search warrant/court order to intercept the information.

Every electronic transaction and every form of communication, credit/debt transaction is put into your file along with your medical records...even snail mail sent and received is photographed and catalogued...

Again....everyone is free to do what they want.....but you should all investigate the new rules and the power they wield. And the lack of freedom it imposed.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I guess you never heard about 9/11 and all the survailence that now takes place...starting with the NSA...and the alphabets all started sharing information about illegal activities..

A little history lesson perhaps....they couldn't get Al Caopne for his illegal mafia criminal activity....but they got him for income tax evasion... The Internet rules were changed to catch more people with a communication device....meaning they don't need a search warrant/court order to intercept the information.

Every electronic transaction and every form of communication, credit/debt transaction is put into your file along with your medical records...even snail mail sent and received is photographed and catalogued...

Again....everyone is free to do what they want.....but you should all investigate the new rules and the power they wield. And the lack of freedom it imposed.
Net neutrality has not increased the gathering of private information. I swear it's like you get your information about this stuff from Fox news. The FCC is not the NSA and its purpose is not to spy on people. Net neutrality could just as well be called "net equality" because that is what it is. It is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication.

Your Al Capone analogy is silly. He was a criminal of the worst type and had to be stopped some way. But even he was afforded the due process of law. The NSA and other security agencies are looking for terrorist... not some nobody downloading songs from the internet. :roll:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/05/e ... et-illegal

I don't for one minute believe the NSA has stopped or even slowed down its illegal information gathering of every American citizen. Snowden has much more info he hasn't released yet on their activities.