New KJ, I have some questions

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: New KJ, I have some questions

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
wiseguy wrote:
That law was not about protecting illegal immigrants. It was about protecting the right of American citizens to not be harrassed just because of their nationality.

8) I agree with you wiseguy the prior law put the burden in the wrong place by racially profiling a group of individuals of which some are American citizens. All I'm saying is we are going about this problem in the wrong way. We should place the burden on the business individuals which I'm sure are American citizens also. The reason for the migration is jobs, and if we make sure that the laws concerning hiring documented workers is enforced and that would solve a big part of the problem. We need to get a handle on how many undocumented people are here, and we need to make sure that the criminal and radical elements are kept out.

Not controlling our borders will lead to the current confusion that exists today. We need to upgrade our guest worker program so that farmers and others that need seasonal workers can obtain the help they need. By making sure that all foreign nationals have a proper means of identification we enforce the rule of law. I don't think it is unreasonable to have to show documentation to obtain employment, even citizens have to show their Social Security card. That way we can make sure that everyone is paying into the system, and that workers that are currently paying on false cards can draw their benefits.
Of course what you're stating is the logical solution... but it is never going to happen. This would lead to businesses having to pay immigrant workers at least minimum wage and would lead to them being eligible for some government benefits as well. The GOP will never stand for that. They like things the way they are and only use the immigration problem as a scare tactic to win elections.

The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

wiseguy wrote: Of course what you're stating is the logical solution... but it is never going to happen. This would lead to businesses having to pay immigrant workers at least minimum wage and would lead to them being eligible for some government benefits as well. The GOP will never stand for that. They like things the way they are and only use the immigration problem as a scare tactic to win elections.

8) Unfortunately wiseguy it is not just the Republicans who want to keep the status quo, Democrats also want to keep the situation as it is. They benefit from the large pool of potential future citizens and voters, these new immigrants represent. The scare tactics of the Republicans drive these new voters to the Democratic Party. As the demographics alter with every election, more and more old white conservative voters die off and are replaced by younger, liberal, more racially diverse voters. After Trump wins the nomination, there could be a complete rout of the Republicans in the Fall, if this happens and the Democrats regain the majority, we will see if the Democrats use their mandate to finally fix our broken immigration system, and enforce the federal laws on the book. Getting these foreign workers counted and make them a true part of our system, and enjoying the fruits of their labor, instead of some fat cat businessman continuing to exploit and use them.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
wiseguy wrote: Of course what you're stating is the logical solution... but it is never going to happen. This would lead to businesses having to pay immigrant workers at least minimum wage and would lead to them being eligible for some government benefits as well. The GOP will never stand for that. They like things the way they are and only use the immigration problem as a scare tactic to win elections.

8) Unfortunately wiseguy it is not just the Republicans who want to keep the status quo, Democrats also want to keep the situation as it is. They benefit from the large pool of potential future citizens and voters, these new immigrants represent. The scare tactics of the Republicans drive these new voters to the Democratic Party. As the demographics alter with every election, more and more old white conservative voters die off and are replaced by younger, liberal, more racially diverse voters. After Trump wins the nomination, there could be a complete rout of the Republicans in the Fall, if this happens and the Democrats regain the majority, we will see if the Democrats use their mandate to finally fix our broken immigration system, and enforce the federal laws on the book. Getting these foreign workers counted and make them a true part of our system, and enjoying the fruits of their labor, instead of some fat cat businessman continuing to exploit and use them.
I do not think the Democrats want to keep the situation as it is as this does not increase the pool of voters. I believe, if given the opportunity, they will work on providing a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. The right does not want this to happen because it will lead to them having the same rights as all Americans and stop them from being used as slave labor.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote: I do not think the Democrats want to keep the situation as it is as this does not increase the pool of voters. I believe, if given the opportunity, they will work on providing a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. The right does not want this to happen because it will lead to them having the same rights as all Americans and stop them from being used as slave labor.

8) Maybe the Democrats don't want the situation the stay as it is, but every baby that is born on U.S. soil is a citizen and will eventually become of age to vote, so over the long haul it will increase the pool of young, liberal, minority voters who will become the majority by 2050 for sure. I watched Meet The Press yesterday and one of the panel stated "we are just one attack away from maybe getting Trump elected". If that is the case all of the demonstrations against Trump in California are feeding into the fears of the voters. Sort of what Hitler pulled when the German Governing House was burned and he was appointed Chancellor of Germany. After all two of Trumps recurring themes have been Nationalism, and whipping up fear of outsiders aka people different from us.
The Lone Ranger

8) Well it looks like it will be another big night for The Donald, Cruz and Kasich are running out of time to pull off an upset. If Trump manages to win tonight it's all over but the crying on the Republican side. The brokered convention seems to be less likely all the time, Trump will have the 1237 delegates needed to win the nomination. Many of the uncommitted delegates that were supposed to support Cruz have been changing their minds and going over to the winning side.
The Lone Ranger

8) The people have grunted and Trump forced Ted to throw in the towel last night. Still Kasich is holding out but I think even John will have to join the rest of the party and get behind The Donald. This is going to be some election come November. Two of the most unfavorable candidates ever in a mud wrestling contest. So far Trump has won these type of battles, Hillary has to be careful not to get down with him like Little Marco did, or it's anyone's guess who will win.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

OK, let's get used to saying it altogether...PRESIDENT TRUMP... :wink:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:OK, let's get used to saying it altogether...PRESIDENT TRUMP... :wink:
Trump is going to lose so badly in the general election even I might feel a little sorry for him. After I stop laughing that is.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:8) The people have grunted and Trump forced Ted to throw in the towel last night. Still Kasich is holding out but I think even John will have to join the rest of the party and get behind The Donald. This is going to be some election come November. Two of the most unfavorable candidates ever in a mud wrestling contest. So far Trump has won these type of battles, Hillary has to be careful not to get down with him like Little Marco did, or it's anyone's guess who will win.
Well, at least Trump is the lesser of two evils. He has only won battles against idiots who were afraid of him until it was too late. The fun starts when he has to explain how he is going to accomplish the things he has promised and when he has to debate someone a hundred times smarter than he is.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote: Well, at least Trump is the lesser of two evils. He has only won battles against idiots who were afraid of him until it was too late. The fun starts when he has to explain how he is going to accomplish the things he has promised and when he has to debate someone a hundred times smarter than he is.

8) I'm not so sure that Trump will be easier to beat than say Ted Cruz would have been. He has a lot of explaining to do, that is for sure. His negatives with Women, Latinos, African Americans and Young voters are staggering today. What they will look like in November is anyone's guess. His main appeal is with blue collar, white, middle class, Regan Democrats. This could put places like Pennsylvania, Michigan, and other Mid Western states in play for the Republicans. Who he picks for his VP will have an impact to on the Fall elections. Hillary would be making a big mistake to underestimate him.
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:OK, let's get used to saying it altogether...PRESIDENT TRUMP... :wink:

8) I wouldn't be picking out the curtains for the oval office just yet Bigdog. Trump refused to debate over the last couple of months. He is behind right now and is going to have to debate Hillary. When it comes to experience she has him beat by a country mile. She needs to move ahead with caution, and not underestimate the enemy, but I think in the last couple of weeks when people sober up, they will choose her.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
wiseguy wrote: Well, at least Trump is the lesser of two evils. He has only won battles against idiots who were afraid of him until it was too late. The fun starts when he has to explain how he is going to accomplish the things he has promised and when he has to debate someone a hundred times smarter than he is.

8) I'm not so sure that Trump will be easier to beat than say Ted Cruz would have been. He has a lot of explaining to do, that is for sure. His negatives with Women, Latinos, African Americans and Young voters are staggering today. What they will look like in November is anyone's guess. His main appeal is with blue collar, white, middle class, Regan Democrats. This could put places like Pennsylvania, Michigan, and other Mid Western states in play for the Republicans. Who he picks for his VP will have an impact to on the Fall elections. Hillary would be making a big mistake to underestimate him.
Trump is what he is. You can dress up that pig but people will still know it's a pig. He can't control his asinine behavior when someone pisses him off and Hillary's campaign will exploit that incessantly. His high ratings in the polls mean everything to him. How do you think he will react when the polls consistently show him losing badly (and they will)? It's going to be enjoyable watching him deflate.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote: Trump is what he is. You can dress up that pig but people will still know it's a pig. He can't control his asinine behavior when someone pisses him off and Hillary's campaign will exploit that incessantly. His high ratings in the polls mean everything to him. How do you think he will react when the polls consistently show him losing badly (and they will)? It's going to be enjoyable watching him deflate.

8) Using your pig analogy wiseguy, one thing about a pig they don't mind wallowing in the mud and filth, of their own stye. Trump is dangerous because he does not wage a standard campaign. Statements that would have killed other candidates, have only made him stronger with his base. He doesn't back down he doubles down on his actions. Depending on which way he intends to come at Hillary over the top or more laid back, make no mistake he will be aggressive. It is his unpredictability that makes him a dangerous foe. One mistake Hillary cannot make is to try and take the low road like Little Marco did, nor can she take the high road and not hit back, because then she looks weak. To win the middle she is going to have to go do the middle, without losing Bernie's people, no small task.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Trump's base is comparatively small. It consists of the least intelligent Americans. Fools who will lap up anything as long as it plays to their fears and bigotry. Trump will never get the Latino vote, the African American vote, the Muslim vote, or the women's vote. The only way he would have a ghost of a chance is if voter turnout was incredibly low. But that isn't going to happen. People will come out in record numbers to make sure a POS like Trump does not become their president.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote:Trump's base is comparatively small. It consists of the least intelligent Americans. Fools who will lap up anything as long as it plays to their fears and bigotry. Trump will never get the Latino vote, the African American vote, the Muslim vote, or the women's vote. The only way he would have a ghost of a chance is if voter turnout was incredibly low. But that isn't going to happen. People will come out in record numbers to make sure a POS like Trump does not become their president.
8) The trouble is wiseguy Trump has really blurred the lines between left and right. Some of his positions are quite Liberal in fact, that is why some of the old main stream Conservatives say they won't support him. Because of his stance he might just be able to solve the Social Security problem, which has been stalemated for the last 8 years of partisan politics. His isolationist position puts him at odds with the neocons of the Republican Party. Actually Hillary is more of a Hawk than he is. He is all over the board and some of his positions and statements contradict one another. I'm not even sure if he knows what his position will be day to day. He has alienated so many groups, and yet he does have support with swing voters and independents, who simply want a change, and our tired of both parties, saying one thing and then business as usual. Trump has really tapped into the general voter dissatisfaction, just like Bernie has. It has been said that their supporters are just flip sides of the same coin. Voters who are fed up with both parties, wanting a change.