It's only water

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

It's only water

Post by Bigdog »

What's the big deal?

Expect to see thes yahoos singing at your shows shortly and drinking the free water..

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... ockey-rink

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bar I am approaching beginning of year sells bottled water or gives very small fee tap water to drinkers. Think the free water is too much of a hassle because it empties the glass faster than the bottle so they come back for more free water sooner. And free water doesn't pay my salary.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just remembered something....

I have people that are so cheap...HOW CHEAP ARE THEY???

They are so cheap they won't even ask for free water because they don't want to leave a tip... :shock: :o

So they just stand around all night with empty hands and sing their songs.. :roll:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The complaints from bar owners about water drinkers is getting louder and longer.

None of the bars sell bottled water. But they are complaining more about the crowds that drink water...

One bar started an oldies dance....how old are people that like oldies...if they take any kind of old age meds...they can't drink alcohol. If they are diabetics they can't drink pop. If they stay up past 11 PM they get screwed up..

It seems to me if you aren't drawing an under 50 crowd...they can't make enough money. If they don't smoke they can't make enough money...

You have to cater to people with bad habits...the more the better..

I got it....maybe I should start giving away free credits for farmville and free cigarettes...and free drinks and pay everyone for showing up...and go home with empty pockets every night...

I could just get free lunch, dinner & drinks from the bars..gain 75 pounds and get a Hoveround to move across the bar...

When the bar owners start complaining to the bar customers about not making enough money during the entertainment...changes are coming and they aren't good changes..
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've suggested this before... I've seen it in action... It works very well. Stop the freeloaders at the door! Charge a cover that is the price of two drinks (designated drivers excluded) and give them two chips worth one drink each. The "real" customers will end up getting their cover charge back and the freeloaders either just won't come in or at least will help pay for the entertainment.

This also helps deter those fools who jump from one karaoke show to another to sing one song and never buy anything.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have noticed some people never seem to have a drink in front of them...

Convincing the bar owner to do it will be the problem...they stopped having bands because nobody wants to pay a cover charge of $5...

I understand the drink chip thing...but a cover charge for karaoke scares everyone...

They don't or won't sell bottled water...why not?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It all boils down to what we both know very well... stupid bar owners. They love to bitch about things but won't take any action to improve them.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:I've suggested this before... I've seen it in action... It works very well. Stop the freeloaders at the door! Charge a cover that is the price of two drinks (designated drivers excluded) and give them two chips worth one drink each. The "real" customers will end up getting their cover charge back and the freeloaders either just won't come in or at least will help pay for the entertainment.

This also helps deter those fools who jump from one karaoke show to another to sing one song and never buy anything.
This would be great but for one problem but maybe you already have a solution.

How do you calculate what two drinks are?

I drink Lager, while my mate drinks Guinness and another drinks 80/- Ale, never mind the women who drink all sorts of mixtures from fizzy pop to Jeigerbombs, etc.

A drink can vary in price between £1:50 to over £3:50 and people being people, a chip that is worth 1 drink will be "cashed in" for the most expensive tipple available.

Then if the Bar charges full whack for cover at his/her most expensive drink cost then the customers who usually drink fairly cheap drinks simply won't pay it and therefore be lost to the Karaoke.

Don't know how you'd get round it???

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

In my area, and in most places I've been, the price of a drink would be considered a domestic beer or bottom shelf liquor drink which sell for about the same price. This would determine the worth of the chips. If you want a premium beer or top shelf liquor drink you will either have to use both chips for one drink or make up the difference in cash.

You could simplify things if you just treat the chips like coupons giving them a monetary value.

The bottom line is that you WILL get your money back if you came to buy drinks in the first place.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote: You could simplify things if you just treat the chips like coupons giving them a monetary value.
That makes more sense.

Basically, the two chips are worth the value of the cover charge and you can use them as you wish, adding extra cash if your round comes to more than the cover.

Sandy.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Well if the freeloaders are in the extreme minority they are sort of helping by being bodies and making the club seem full. If it gets to where everyone in the bar is water-boarding that's a problem which chips or covers won't fix.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

djBe wrote:Well if the freeloaders are in the extreme minority they are sort of helping by being bodies and making the club seem full. If it gets to where everyone in the bar is water-boarding that's a problem which chips or covers won't fix.
If the freeloaders were not singers then them helping the bar look more full would be fine. But these people are typically singers and they are taking singing time from those who are real customers. That's not fine at all.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:
djBe wrote:Well if the freeloaders are in the extreme minority they are sort of helping by being bodies and making the club seem full. If it gets to where everyone in the bar is water-boarding that's a problem which chips or covers won't fix.
If the freeloaders were not singers then them helping the bar look more full would be fine. But these people are typically singers and they are taking singing time from those who are real customers. That's not fine at all.
Many of my singers lately are dinking water..also many don't even buy or drink anything
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It's getting worse...more people are asking for water...

I do a bar that has an oldies dance...the crowds are getting bigger but the cash flow isn't....The geriatrics drink mainly water...

they even made the dance floor bigger...so they could handle more water drinkers...

I'm predicting that if the economy stays the same or gets worse....because we know it's not getting better....a year from now....

I'll be staying home every night... :shock:

DJs and bands are suffering very low attendance too....
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It's easy to blame the economy for the lack of spending at karaoke gigs but I think that is just a small part of the problem. When I go to a mall, Wal-Mart, or any other shopping center, I'm seeing a lot of people spending a lot of money and carts full of items. And a lot of it is luxury items as opposed to necessities.

Most of those water drinkers can well afford to buy drinks... they just choose not to. Increasingly stricter DUI laws and stepped up enforcement play a big roll here. The legal limit is surpassed after only a couple drinks. Cops are watching people leave bars and pulling them over. It's happened to me on quite a few occasions.

It's also becoming much easier for people to entertain themselves at home. Sales of home karaoke systems continue to increase with internet access to huge online karaoke song libraries becoming more popular.

I think if you're counting on an improved economy to significantly improve the size of karaoke crowds and their spending, you are going to be disappointed.