Another cheap (NOT) dj in the making.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) What are you talking about Dan both SC and CB have not paid the proper licensing fees to the publishers. CB went out of business, and DTE could only reproduce a portion of the CB library, due to licensing problems. Not paying licensing fees is the core of the suit EMI filed against SC. SC and CB both to some extend are unlicensed brands.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You are allowed to use the songs in your home....Home use....That's what the discs used to have printed on them...If you get paid whether it's in your house or someone elses or any other private party....is a violation of the law...

Home use means you will not make any money from playing their music...it means personal use.....FREE party could be bending the rules...paid party ....GUILTY as charged...

If you get paid...you're a pirate...SORRY...I didn't write the rules ...

If you receieved money for playing a song it's commercial use. It wasn't your house and not for your private use....you used it publically even if it was in a secret cave for Bin Laden...
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The reason the discs had "for private use" written on them is because the producer didn't have the right to give you permission for public performance of copyright protected music. Only organizations like A.S.C.A.P and BMI can do that.

"Public performance" can have a grey area but regardless of that the KJ is never responsible for providing the licensing for his performance at any venue. The copyright infringement falls on the shoulders of whoever hired you.

From the BMI website...

"Since it's the business or organization that's benefiting from the performance of music, management is responsible for ensuring that the organization is properly licensed. This responsibility cannot be passed on to anyone else even if the musicians hired are independent contractors."

We are considered independent contractors.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:You are allowed to use the songs in your home....Home use....That's what the discs used to have printed on them...If you get paid whether it's in your house or someone elses or any other private party....is a violation of the law...

Home use means you will not make any money from playing their music...it means personal use.....FREE party could be bending the rules...paid party ....GUILTY as charged...

If you get paid...you're a pirate...SORRY...I didn't write the rules ...

If you receieved money for playing a song it's commercial use. It wasn't your house and not for your private use....you used it publically even if it was in a secret cave for Bin Laden...
Did you just say that you are a pirate? by the definition you just laid down then we all are pirates if we get paid. I don't believe in that definition so no I am not a pirate. Tried it at the one gig I have and they want me to stick to karaoke from now on as it was an utter failure. Won't consider taking anymore DJ only gigs or gig's that don't allow me to play what I have on harddrive alongside karaoke. The karaoke at this site is always straight karaoke, never have to worry about no singers. We are lucky to get through two rotations a night. None leaves unttil the end of the night.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:The reason the discs had "for private use" written on them is because the producer didn't have the right to give you permission for public performance of copyright protected music. Only organizations like A.S.C.A.P and BMI can do that.

"Public performance" can have a grey area but regardless of that the KJ is never responsible for providing the licensing for his performance at any venue. The copyright infringement falls on the shoulders of whoever hired you.

From the BMI website...

"Since it's the business or organization that's benefiting from the performance of music, management is responsible for ensuring that the organization is properly licensed. This responsibility cannot be passed on to anyone else even if the musicians hired are independent contractors."

We are considered independent contractors.
You are confusing preforming rights with commercial use.

You have the right to use your music privately, not for pay....once you get paid you've used your music commercially, for that you don't have permission..

if you played at and got paid at a private party...yes technically the party should pay ASCAP/BMI royalties.....fat chance..

Which brings up the question...if nobody paid ASCAP were you a pirate?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

A paid public performance is one form of commercial use. The record producer cannot tell you that you cannot use their music in a public performance where the proper copyright fees are being paid. Many standard audio discs are labeled "not for commercial use" but where do you think DJ's get their music? It is the song writers who own all rights to the songs.

If a venue I play at, including a private one, does not pay the proper licensing fees, it is they who are breaking the law. The only way I could be considered a pirate is if I were using pirated music.
djBe

Post by djBe »

does anyone use youtube for filler music? is it legal? you are basically just playing the tracks, not downloading them, copying them, saving them or selling them. and they ARE on there to bel played. just wondering...
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

djBe wrote:does anyone use youtube for filler music? is it legal? you are basically just playing the tracks, not downloading them, copying them, saving them or selling them. and they ARE on there to bel played. just wondering...
As soon as you play a piece of copyright material, so are obligated to pay for it, especially at a Public venue.

Sandy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

A KJ in my area uses Karafun's streaming service (violating the terms of usage of the product) and fills in what she doesn't have with Youtube karaoke. Warned the bar owner gave her a flyer that explains the dangers of using such a KJ and fell on dead ears.