Another cheap (NOT) dj in the making.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Another cheap (NOT) dj in the making.

Post by DanG2006 »

I recently discovered Pandora for my filler music. I know, I know, Cheating. but there is a cost of $53.99 a month for the service, $50 for the internet and 3.99 for the Pandora service so there are zero ads. I probably would have paid that to purchase new music if I cared to do the ripping of said music because I still buy my music on disc when I do buy it. I don't really care about whether or not I own the latest Rhianna or Miley Cyrus song for that matter.

Moonrider

Re: Another cheap (NOT) dj in the making.

Post by Moonrider »

DanG2006 wrote:I recently discovered Pandora for my filler music. I know, I know, Cheating. but there is a cost of $53.99 a month for the service, $50 for the internet and 3.99 for the Pandora service so there are zero ads. I probably would have paid that to purchase new music if I cared to do the ripping of said music because I still buy my music on disc when I do buy it. I don't really care about whether or not I own the latest Rhianna or Miley Cyrus song for that matter.
So, you're just going to ignore their terms of use and pirate the music just like the bulk of DJs and karaoke hosts? Tsk.

From Pandora's terms of use.
Unless you have an active DMX Pandora for Business account, Pandora is for personal use only. That means you can't play Pandora for the patrons in your bar, coffee shop, etc.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Right now I am only playing privately so Commercial use is moot. If and when I get a steady bar gig will I consider buying the unit they are selling. I really don't have the inputs on my mixer for another player. As it is I go in through the tape/cd input of the mixer with my soundcard. Now if I can use the unit as a soundcard for my hosting program then I'll consider it but I don't have the budget now to afford it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:Right now I am only playing privately so Commercial use is moot. If and when I get a steady bar gig will I consider buying the unit they are selling. I really don't have the inputs on my mixer for another player. As it is I go in through the tape/cd input of the mixer with my soundcard. Now if I can use the unit as a soundcard for my hosting program then I'll consider it but I don't have the budget now to afford it.
just for the record....

If you get paid....that's commercially...doesn't matter if its's in someones dungeon for Egor & Frankenstein. :lol:

pirate... :roll:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:Right now I am only playing privately so Commercial use is moot. If and when I get a steady bar gig will I consider buying the unit they are selling. I really don't have the inputs on my mixer for another player. As it is I go in through the tape/cd input of the mixer with my soundcard. Now if I can use the unit as a soundcard for my hosting program then I'll consider it but I don't have the budget now to afford it.
just for the record....

If you get paid....that's commercially...doesn't matter if its's in someones dungeon for Egor & Frankenstein. :lol:

Not exactly. The same rules don't apply for private events even if you are getting paid.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:
just for the record....

I am only going to address the naming of me as a pirate. My definition of a pirate in the dj/kj business is having songs you never paid for in your possession. Pandora does not allow me to keep the songs unless I pay for a download of the song that is playing, therefore I don't meet the criteria I set up for being a pirate.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
just for the record....

I am only going to address the naming of me as a pirate. My definition of a pirate in the dj/kj business is having songs you never paid for in your possession. Pandora does not allow me to keep the songs unless I pay for a download of the song that is playing, therefore I don't meet the criteria I set up for being a pirate.
By that criteria stealing cable isn't really theft because you don't get to keep the movies.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

by your reasoning then using the Karaoke Cloud's downloads is stealing too because you're downloading from their home karaoke site.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Get ready for the new way to access new songs from Sound Choice. It was announced at the DJ convention in Las Vegas that SC is joining the cloud and the only way to get new material from SC would be to participate in the cloud. No downloads though or Media Pro either :(
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:by your reasoning then using the Karaoke Cloud's downloads is stealing too because you're downloading from their home karaoke site.
That makes no sense at all. How is paying for and using the Karaoke Cloud anything like stealing cable service of using the Pandora service commercially without paying the appropriate fee.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Get ready for the new way to access new songs from Sound Choice. It was announced at the DJ convention in Las Vegas that SC is joining the cloud and the only way to get new material from SC would be to participate in the cloud. No downloads though or Media Pro either :(
Just one more step by some manus to monopolize access to new karaoke music. If PHM and Sunfly join in they will succeed.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Sunfly is already available on the cloud.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Sunfly is already available on the cloud.
Yes, but not exclusively... yet. They are still selling discs and downloads. Why has PHM been so silent lately? Have they wisely distanced themselves from SC?
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) All this time SC has resisted having the product in a download format, and have also said no to joining cloud. Your news indicates to me Danny that the end is near for SC. I have always said that if SC allowed downloading and joined Cloud, it would be an admission the legal process they started is a failure. That they will be doing whatever it takes to try and make some money off their product before it becomes totally worthless. You know I haven'
t seen James on these forums for a few weeks, I wonder if the EMI or CAVS suit have finished or near finishing. If so SC could be facing a legal bill they can't pay and it could lead to their demise just like CB.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Not necessarily true. They still haven't said yes to downloads, just a premium service of the cloud. The $99 users aren't gonna see the new stuff and neither will the home market cloud, where you get your downloads from the cloud from.