Suggestions please

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
scroller

Suggestions please

Post by scroller »

I am new to Karaoke.
What I want to do is play my guitar and sing along with a Karaoke song.
Problem is, a lot of songs have complicated chord patterns.
Is there any software that will let me 'open' the lyrics to add the chords in appropriate places.
e. g. where it reads: Jingle Bells Jingle Bells Jingle all the way
I would like it to read: (A) Jingle Bells Jingle Bells Jingle (E) all the (A) way

Thank you.

mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I reckon you could create what your trying to achieve using Power karaoke video creator:
http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod-ka ... reator.php

You can import a cdg file into that and it will do it's best to read the lyric file but you may need to make a few spelling adjustments first to correct any errors then I reckon you could fairly easily add the chord characters to the lyric file. once completed create it as an avi file that will play on any computer.

Power karaoke also have a cdg creating software that may work similar but I have the video version as shown in the link and am sure that you could create what you are after with that.
scroller

Post by scroller »

An .avi file. Never considered that.
I thought I would just play it using karaoke player software.
If it's a video file, I could use some video editing software to cut out the annoying stuff at the beginning...just get right into the song.
Thanks for replying so quickly. Appreciate it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You can also easily convert any karaoke CD+G song into a video file with software like Power CD+G to Video Karaoke Converter.
scroller

Post by scroller »

It would be much easier if I could add just add the chords to the lyrics then re-burn as CD+G. Any software that anyone is aware of that can do that? I really don't want to re-type all those lyrics in dozens of discs.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

scroller wrote:It would be much easier if I could add just add the chords to the lyrics then re-burn as CD+G. Any software that anyone is aware of that can do that? I really don't want to re-type all those lyrics in dozens of discs.
You're talking about editing an existing CD+G track. This is something that cannot be done without great difficulty if it can be done at all. Much more difficult than totally redoing the song tracks.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

scroller wrote:It would be much easier if I could add just add the chords to the lyrics then re-burn as CD+G. Any software that anyone is aware of that can do that? I really don't want to re-type all those lyrics in dozens of discs.
The program I told you about will read the lyric file from the cdg file and converts it to text with all the highlighted timings. You have to check it as it sometimes spells a few of the words wrong but you don't have to type the whole song in again. The finished result is actually smoother none blocky text to what you get with cd+g graphics.

You can even add a video background behind the lyric if you want.
It will even remove the intro screens and allow you to add your own.

I don't think you will find any software that would allow you to add the chords to a cdg file unless you completely redo them.

Here is an example song which was chartbuster lyric file super imposed over original video, I set the lyric to scroll but you can keep it the same as the original cdg file.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bELtkDb ... e=youtu.be
This is a tempory upload to youtube I wont be leaving it there.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Ok I just knocked up a demo using Cdg file and inserted the chords, took me about 20 mins.
heres the link to view: http://youtu.be/AS7qN-pBFmI

I've only added the chords to about half way through.
scroller

Post by scroller »

Mr. dj....That's EXACTLY what I want to do. (Do you play guitar?)
So the output would be a video file? Like .avi format (or similar)? And when you replay it, you just use your computer's audio player, not a karaoke player. Brilliant.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

scroller wrote:Mr. dj....That's EXACTLY what I want to do. (Do you play guitar?)
So the output would be a video file? Like .avi format (or similar)? And when you replay it, you just use your computer's audio player, not a karaoke player. Brilliant.
I try playing but I'm not very good, I would not play in public.

I should just point out, it wont read the original file direct off a cdg disc, you have to rip the track to cd+g format (mp3+g) before it can be imported into Karaoke video creator, or you can download tracks from many online stores already in mp3+g format.

It is very flexible regarding setting text style and size and how many lines are displayed at a time plus of course add backgrounds and your own intro & credits screens.

There are options to export as mp4 video or flv. I have never managed to create the mp4 type as that always seems to fail on my computer that is why I stick to avi.
scroller

Post by scroller »

Thanks again, Mr. dj. Give me a couple of days to get it all together. Sounds like the perfect solution.
I am playing on Friday night. Too bad I can't have it together by then. I can't wait to try this out.
Have a great day.
I'll post a result when I get one. lol
scroller

Post by scroller »

Mr. DJ
Well, I downloaded the trial version of PowerKaraoke for video.

It works fine, but now my problem is that I can't change the pitch of the song. Obviously, my voice is average, and at the moment, I can't sing low songs, like Johnny Cash, or high songs, like Vince Gill without shifting the pitch. Can you suggest an .avi player that could do this?

I couldn't see how Windows Media Player or VLC media player can do any more than adjust the base or treble, and that's not what I want to do.

BTW, I forgot to thank Wiseguy for his suggestions. Thank you.

Any suggestions? Anyone?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hosting software like JustKaraoke will play avi files and adjust the key just like with cdg songs. I don't know of any freeware avi players that have key control.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I would suggest changing the key of the mp3 file before you import it into video creator.

There are a number of programs that can do that but I would suggest "Audacity" which is a free software, they refer to it as changing pitch under their effects tab.
here is a link to it: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

When you save the altered file in audacity you have to choose export from the file menu then choose to save it as mp3 format.
You can edit the file how you like but don't change the length of the file as I believe it has to match the length of the cdg part that is the graphic portion.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Just a thought, but if you change the pitch with a key control, won't the chords be off? For what you're doing to work you would have to set the key before creating the video.