When Will The SC Legal Process End?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
The Lone Ranger

When Will The SC Legal Process End?

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) According to Kurt "suits drives sales". This simple statement sums up the complete marketing strategy for SC. They are no longer a manufacturer of product but rather just two parts of the former business. The legal and sales departments working together.

Over the last few months I have participated in other karaoke forums and have picked up information here and there from the writings of SC's legal point man Jim Harrington. From what I have been able to gather, it would seem that SC's future is rather doubtful if they will ever go back to the production end of the business.

After all they have sold most of their library to Stingray. They have let go most of their former employees and sold off the production capability. According to Jim what they do have is several years worth of unsold GEM series product that they are desperately trying to unload. They can't sell it by conventional means, since all the legal hosts have already paid for the material, and the pirates make up the rest of the market. They have not produced anything new now for over 5 years.

Jim has stated that he is only making his office operating costs while still representing SC. That is a steep drop for a lawyer that has posted he makes 400.00 per hour. He is working more or less pro bono, which makes him another Perry Mason. Of course as long as he is willing to represent SC under those terms, at least the legal part of the marketing plan will continue.

This brings to the other side of the equation the massive inventory of unsold product. This represents a large part of what is left as a liability and potential asset, of what is left of SC. Until the suits can generate the licensing of the unsold inventory, it will remain a liability since the original product has been paid for by SC, and not resold.

It would seem that this legal process will continue maybe for years, since Jim stated there is years of inventory. I just wonder if at some point SC will throw in the towel like CB did and dump their unsold inventory on the market?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You said it all with "suits drive sales". As long as this is profitable there is no reason to believe the law suits will end. This is why I urge every KJ who will listen to replace their SC songs with other brands, and if they do play SC tracks, only play them from the original disc. Karaoke would survive very well if no SC song track was ever played again. Let's just make them go away.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) I'm retired from hosting now, but when I was still active in the business, I made it a point to boycott SC product. It has always bothered me that of all the manus alive or dead, they were the only one's that were serious about a legal solution, to their bad management decisions. Now they are stuck with years of unsold inventory on their hand and no buyers. With the exception of a few new hosts or operators that are running more than one rigg and want to be 1:1 compliant. It is far easier just to avoid SC and do without the courtroom drama. There is plenty of good product out here, and none of the problems, using their product.