Introduction

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
SherylM

Introduction

Post by SherylM »

I just found this forum and signed up. I'm an unemployed IT Professional who loves to do karaoke. I started off singing at karaoke clubs about 15 years ago - when they first started appearing. They seemed to have disappeared for a while and I noticed they were making a comeback. So I started going to karaoke clubs again whenever I went back to my old hometown and met up with friends who also liked to karaoke.

I am hoping to break into the business to help pay for college.

Sheryl

It is not necessary to understand music; it is only necessary that one enjoy it.
--Leopold Stokowski
Muckraker

Post by Muckraker »

It can cost a small fortune to get set up with equipment and CD's, although you may be able to get started with a minimum of gear.

I say, if you love karaoke, go for it.

Good luck to you, Sheryl.
SherylM

Post by SherylM »

Thanks, Muckraker. I have a pretty decent CDG player (JVC) and a collection of about 2500 tracks. I think I'll hold off on the mixer and speakers until I can land a gig. In the meantime, I have a small tracker and some small Roland speakers that would allow me to do small parties for karaoke (like in someone's back yard or in a club house or something) to get into practice.
Sheryl

It is not necessary to understand music; it is only necessary that one enjoy it.
--Leopold Stokowski
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

Hi Sheryl,

Welcome on board! I'm new to this site too and until recently, was a KDJ for 13 years (Who said karaoke wouldn't last! :) ) I was lucky to be in the the right place at the right time. I was asked to take up a residency 3 nights a week in a hotel bar and I didn't even have to fork out for the equipment or the discs! I loved it - in fact the best part-time job I've ever had. I would still be doing it today if I hadn't moved out of the area - but at least I now get the opportunity to sing at other people's karaokes which is still a great novelty for me and I'm thoroughly enjoying that too!

I really wish you all the best and hope that you strike lucky.

Christine
Superstar

Post by Superstar »

Good luck Sheryl; My husband & I think being a KJ is the best job in the world! It's been our sole income for the past 2 years and we truly love & enjoy it! Best of luck & wishes to you.
Penny & Chad :D