Skipping and Popping

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
ajb6708

Skipping and Popping

Post by ajb6708 »

Hey all,

thanks for this awesome and very helpful forum. I have already found this site to be of much help to get me started in my new Karaoke endeavor. I am having some audio playback issues. I am using a Samsung laptop, Hoster as my software and an external Samsung hard drive to store all my song files. I am getting a lot of pops and skips during playback and was wondering if anyone has had this experience and how they remedied it. I have my laptop audio out into the tape in of a Mackie mixer and out to a pair of Mackie PA speakers.

I am also experiencing the speed of the lyrics being faster than the audio. Like it's not in sync with each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Skipping and Popping

Post by wiseguy »

Are you using songs that you ripped yourself or ones that you purchased online?
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

i have heard this issue from anyone using a samsung laptop. no one ever figured out what it was, but when they used a different computer, it went away every time. the lyrics coming out first are because of the internal sound card. those are nowhere near the quality needed for a show and have a high latency. a pro sound card will also make a world of difference there. much lower latency and huge increase in sound quality.
ajb6708

Post by ajb6708 »

wiseguy wrote:Are you using songs that you ripped yourself or ones that you purchased online?[

Yes, I ripped my CDG's onto the external HD. But I al sf o experienced it with the songs I bought from the"Hoster" software program.
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:i have heard this issue from anyone using a samsung laptop. no one ever figured out what it was, but when they used a different computer, it went away every time. the lyrics coming out first are because of the internal sound card. those are nowhere near the quality needed for a show and have a high latency. a pro sound card will also make a world of difference there. much lower latency and huge increase in sound quality.
I'll try ripping them onto my desktop PC which I run my audio recording software on and see if it fixes the issue. Only thing is now I have to purchase another download of Hoster for that PC. I shoulda opted for the 2 installs.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I'll keep you posted.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Have you tried altering the settings ?
From the Tools menu select audio controls. Near the bottom of that dialog there are adjustments for "Prevent audio dropouts" the default is 10, raising that figure should stop the audio drop outs, only drawback being it slows down the response time for changing key and tempo.
There are also 2 boxes right at the bottom for setting the priority for audio and lyrics which you may find help.
Also in that same dialog is a playback offset which will set any sync issues with lyrics.
Another setting you can try from Tools Menu select "Tempo Mode" in that dialog select "Normal Play Mode" that will disable the tempo function on the main screen but should help with any audio drop outs if the other settings fail.

One more thing I have Hoster on a Samsung ultrabook running Windows 8, when I upgraded it to 8.1 I also exsperiened some audio drop outs and had to set the above audio adjustment up to about 18. I have since reverted it back to Windows 8 and I can set the audio adjustment down to about 6 so there does seem to be some problems with the Samsung audio drivers in Windows 8.1.
I am waiting for the Windows 10 to be released which will be very soon and I will try it with that.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

A bit more information, you don't have to order another version of Hoster to transfer to another computer. You can only have installed on one computer but providing you un install while online it will register with MTU that it has been removed from that computer which will allow it to be installed on your other computer.
Before doing this it's best to use Hosters backup/restore feature that will save all the settings and transfer them to the other computer without having to go through all the setup again. You will find this from the Help menu/Backup/restore. just follow its instructions.
ajb6708

Post by ajb6708 »

mr.dj wrote:Have you tried altering the settings ?
From the Tools menu select audio controls. Near the bottom of that dialog there are adjustments for "Prevent audio dropouts" the default is 10, raising that figure should stop the audio drop outs, only drawback being it slows down the response time for changing key and tempo.
There are also 2 boxes right at the bottom for setting the priority for audio and lyrics which you may find help.
Also in that same dialog is a playback offset which will set any sync issues with lyrics.
Another setting you can try from Tools Menu select "Tempo Mode" in that dialog select "Normal Play Mode" that will disable the tempo function on the main screen but should help with any audio drop outs if the other settings fail.

One more thing I have Hoster on a Samsung ultrabook running Windows 8, when I upgraded it to 8.1 I also exsperiened some audio drop outs and had to set the above audio adjustment up to about 18. I have since reverted it back to Windows 8 and I can set the audio adjustment down to about 6 so there does seem to be some problems with the Samsung audio drivers in Windows 8.1.
I am waiting for the Windows 10 to be released which will be very soon and I will try it with that.
That is great information! Thanks so much. I will give all this a look. In the middle of building a studio so gear is all disconnected. I'll let you all know how I make out as soon as I get back up and running.
ajb6708

Post by ajb6708 »

mr.dj wrote:A bit more information, you don't have to order another version of Hoster to transfer to another computer. You can only have installed on one computer but providing you un install while online it will register with MTU that it has been removed from that computer which will allow it to be installed on your other computer.
Before doing this it's best to use Hosters backup/restore feature that will save all the settings and transfer them to the other computer without having to go through all the setup again. You will find this from the Help menu/Backup/restore. just follow its instructions.
Again...some valuable information. Thanks mr. dj!