Buying music

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
The Lone Ranger

Re: Buying music

Post by The Lone Ranger »

DanG2006 wrote:I get younger singers all the time at one of my shows. A couple like to sing Beyonce and one does great on John Legend and Ed Sheeran.

8) Songs that rarely get done are by artists like Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, even though there quite a few karaoke tracks out here. The one old white man that did rap almost exclusively was 84 years old, it really got some laughs, he was really kind of good at it.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You just named two fantastic singers that are pretty hard to sing and do a decent job....

Can anyone name a newer song that is going to be referred to as a classic in the future?
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:You just named two fantastic singers that are pretty hard to sing and do a decent job....

Can anyone name a newer song that is going to be referred to as a classic in the future?

8) One possible classic is more of a dance tune "The Cupid Shuffle" although there is a karaoke version of this song. It still gets a crowd up to dance and it has been out for awhile now. That is the only one that comes to mind.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Well, a popular dance song kinda falls into a different category.... Every generation has popular dance songs....but some fall into the fad dance song category. Long lasting dance moves is another story...what dance moves are popular today? Any come to mind...or is it whatever anyone wants to do?
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:Well, a popular dance song kinda falls into a different category.... Every generation has popular dance songs....but some fall into the fad dance song category. Long lasting dance moves is another story...what dance moves are popular today? Any come to mind...or is it whatever anyone wants to do?
8) I know disco sucks to most people, however, I found out if I played some of the old disco songs older people got out on the dance floor and showed off their old moves. That was the last time I believe that people were actually taking lessons and trying to learn set dance steps, today it is more free style. Unless of course you have a song that leads you through the steps like "Cupid Shuffle" or "Cha- Cha Slide". Every once in awhile I break out my old Tango routine, it seems to go over well with the older crowd.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

So does that mean the popularity of DJs is dropping also... A few years ago the popular bands were playing mostly disco music....doesn't sound like younger people are going to see disco bands....DJs try to get people dancing and they mostly play disco... Looks like the entire entertainment business is going to fall into a big pit. Short attention spans....no dance moves... Can't sing the new music or remember the new songs....we're doomed I tell ya...DOOMED ....if it's not on a smart phone...it's dumb and doesn't warrant any attention. The end is near.... :|
go to the bar to spend the night on your smart phone texting someone across the room....face to face conversation is a thing of the past.
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:So does that mean the popularity of DJs is dropping also... A few years ago the popular bands were playing mostly disco music....doesn't sound like younger people are going to see disco bands....DJs try to get people dancing and they mostly play disco... Looks like the entire entertainment business is going to fall into a big pit. Short attention spans....no dance moves... Can't sing the new music or remember the new songs....we're doomed I tell ya...DOOMED ....if it's not on a smart phone...it's dumb and doesn't warrant any attention. The end is near.... :|
go to the bar to spend the night on your smart phone texting someone across the room....face to face conversation is a thing of the past.
8) It could be Bigdog that maybe young people have just grown up. That they don't have to go out to bars to meet people, that they don't have to get drunk or go through the the whole bar scene with all of it's nonsense. When I think of all the time I wasted going to bars when I was younger, it really makes me think. I had all of those shallow and meaningless relationships with others, I was just chasing my tail for years until I got serious and settled down. It could be that younger people are just more mature goal orientated than we were. Makes you think?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) It could be Bigdog that maybe young people have just grown up. That they don't have to go out to bars to meet people, that they don't have to get drunk or go through the the whole bar scene with all of it's nonsense. When I think of all the time I wasted going to bars when I was younger, it really makes me think. I had all of those shallow and meaningless relationships with others, I was just chasing my tail for years until I got serious and settled down. It could be that younger people are just more mature goal orientated than we were. Makes you think?
Young people today are anything but more mature. It's simply a matter of technology that is changing things. They now have a multitude of methods of communication and interaction that they didn't have just a couple of decades ago. Social and dating websites have replaced typical meeting places like bars. They can learn a great deal about someone, and even develop a relationship, before ever meeting them in person. They still have the shallow and meaningless relationships... just more of them.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The school system has dumbed them down.... All The fast paced electronics and video games has reduced their attention span....hardly any of them have any type of a work ethic at a job.... I can only imagine the wedding failure rate is only going to increase. Reality tv has turned their brains to mush.... Totally outrageous view of what the average lifestyle and relationships are really like. Music lyrics about sex and more sex and disrespect and life's a big party ..... DOOMED I tell...were all DOOMED..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

well, I just got positive confirmation of exactly what I'm talking about... My regular week day job wants to know what I have available for the weekend...because.... They have two different DJs on Friday and Saturday..... They want to "change things up". The only reason I can think of is.... THE DJs AREN'T BRINGING IN THE CROWDS... They want me to work my magic with karaoke... But remember...this is a nonsmoking bar and the nonsmokers....aren't coming out like they used to....

I just quit a smoking bar in December..... I don't remember seeing many younger people dancing whenever people did dance there....

Because of scheduling conflicts between us.... My first Saturday night won't be until the middle of October... And I only have an every other open.... Not crazy about every other because people forget when you're there.
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:well, I just got positive confirmation of exactly what I'm talking about... My regular week day job wants to know what I have available for the weekend...because.... They have two different DJs on Friday and Saturday..... They want to "change things up". The only reason I can think of is.... THE DJs AREN'T BRINGING IN THE CROWDS... They want me to work my magic with karaoke... But remember...this is a nonsmoking bar and the nonsmokers....aren't coming out like they used to....

I just quit a smoking bar in December..... I don't remember seeing many younger people dancing whenever people did dance there....

Because of scheduling conflicts between us.... My first Saturday night won't be until the middle of October... And I only have an every other open.... Not crazy about every other because people forget when you're there.
8) I don't want to sound negative Bigdog, but how is karaoke the answer where DJ's fail? Usually DJ's attract a younger crowd just like bands do since they tend to be louder than most karaoke shows. The older crowd is what is attracted to karaoke for the very reasons you have pointed out. I would get with the venue owner and try and find out what type of crowd he is trying to attract, to see if karaoke is the answer? It is difficult to get a show off the ground unless you are every week, same time same channel.

I can only say what kids are like by using my own two as an example Wiseguy. Both were totally focused on getting through college using as much grant money as possible so they wouldn't have a huge student debt at the end. Both went to Chicago because that is where the jobs in their particular field were at. My son is still hard at work and my daughter is coming back to California to get her Master's Degree. Neither have a serious boyfriend or girlfriend, and both tend to party in moderation. I don't know what happened but both are the type of person I would have like to have been when I was their age. My mom wanted me to be a minister, well I really blew that situation right out of the box.

You would have a hard time finding a smoking bar in California, even the private clubs have to meet the state standards, pretty soon you won't be able to smoke even outside a club. Fortunately that is one bad habit I never started.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote:
Young people today are anything but more mature. It's simply a matter of technology that is changing things. They now have a multitude of methods of communication and interaction that they didn't have just a couple of decades ago. Social and dating websites have replaced typical meeting places like bars. They can learn a great deal about someone, and even develop a relationship, before ever meeting them in person. They still have the shallow and meaningless relationships... just more of them.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't see what is wrong with technology, checking things out before you meet with someone. Sure they can lie on line just like at a bar, but then you have sources that can check them out and make sure your not making a date with a criminal. Of course this technology does cut into bars profits and directly effects the entertainment business. I don't think it's any worse than getting dressed up, going to a bar and sitting on a stool. Trying to attract someone with 50 other people competing with you, trying to talk above the entertainment, spending $50 to $100.00 to go home by yourself, or worse wake up the next morning with a complete stranger, wondering how you got there.

P.S. not to mention all the lines, "Do you come here often", "What's your sign", "Are you new in town", or "What do you do for a living".
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't see what is wrong with technology, checking things out before you meet with someone. Sure they can lie on line just like at a bar, but then you have sources that can check them out and make sure your not making a date with a criminal. Of course this technology does cut into bars profits and directly effects the entertainment business. I don't think it's any worse than getting dressed up, going to a bar and sitting on a stool. Trying to attract someone with 50 other people competing with you, trying to talk above the entertainment, spending $50 to $100.00 to go home by yourself, or worse wake up the next morning with a complete stranger, wondering how you got there.

P.S. not to mention all the lines, "Do you come here often", "What's your sign", "Are you new in town", or "What do you do for a living".
I don't think you understand the way they're doing things now. Instead of meeting in a bar and having a one night stand, they meet online and arrange "hook ups". Before they even meet each other in person they agree to have sex. This has lead to way more multiple partners and meaningless relationships.
The Lone Ranger

wiseguy wrote:
I don't think you understand the way they're doing things now. Instead of meeting in a bar and having a one night stand, they meet online and arrange "hook ups". Before they even meet each other in person they agree to have sex. This has lead to way more multiple partners and meaningless relationships.
8) Some people are agreeing to have sex before they met the person. I don't think everyone is, to me that would be like buying a pig in a poke. Like I have said they could lie on line and not be the prince or princess they claim to be. As far as multiple partners are concerned I think that depends on the individual, after all "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote: 8) Some people are agreeing to have sex before they met the person. I don't think everyone is, to me that would be like buying a pig in a poke. Like I have said they could lie on line and not be the prince or princess they claim to be. As far as multiple partners are concerned I think that depends on the individual, after all "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Yes... some people are... and these are the same people who would have a one night stand with a person they just met in a bar. That's where technology comes in. Now an individual who is predisposed to this behavior can meet a lot more people and have a lot more one night stands. Studies and poll statistics bear out that casual sex among young people has increased substantially in step with technological advances.