Computer vs Disc Player Poll

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

You, or most of the karaoke host you know, run karaoke shows with...

a laptop computer
89%
a karaoke disc player
11%

Total votes: 9

wiseguy
Site Admin

Computer vs Disc Player Poll

Post by wiseguy »

Please take a moment to respond to this poll.

Thank You

The Lone Ranger

Re: Computer vs Disc Player Poll

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) What about a hard drive disc player? check!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

how do you vote?

Computer...don't know of any KJs that still use discs.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:how do you vote?

Computer...don't know of any KJs that still use discs.
I actually know a few KJs in my area who still use discs. I also get a lot of emails from KJs wanting to convert over to a laptop.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:8) What about a hard drive disc player? check!
With the right CD drive and software a laptop could technically be considered hard drive disc player. The poll is about a disc player versus hosting software. A hard drive machine is not one of the options.
The Lone Ranger

No what I'm talking about wiseguy is an actual machine U-Best DA 268 that stores disc information on a hard drive, which you can also play discs on. Originally I started out as a disc based host and didn't go to laptop, but downloaded discs on a hard drive player. It is a lot of work up front with the loading, but once that is done you just punch the number and go. You can store up to 50,000 tracks on a machine. It is in between being disc based and going full computer.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:No what I'm talking about wiseguy is an actual machine U-Best DA 268 that stores disc information on a hard drive, which you can also play discs on. Originally I started out as a disc based host and didn't go to laptop, but downloaded discs on a hard drive player. It is a lot of work up front with the loading, but once that is done you just punch the number and go. You can store up to 50,000 tracks on a machine. It is in between being disc based and going full computer.
I'm well aware of the hard drive machines, especially the Acesonic KOD line. They are a step up from playing discs but don't offer near the options you get with hosting software. For the purpose of this poll hard drive machines should be considered disc players, otherwise I would have made the poll answer choices karaoke discs and karaoke files.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Computer vs discs.... Space shuttle vs cave man... Shortly disc will be like 8 track tapes....what was once the hottest idea...soon fades away for something else even hotter...to later be replaced by the next hottest thing... Carving on stones to IM... What's next? Without CDs They won't sell CD players. So if you don't convert to computer you will be out of business....
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Computer vs discs.... Space shuttle vs cave man... Shortly disc will be like 8 track tapes....what was once the hottest idea...soon fades away for something else even hotter...to later be replaced by the next hottest thing... Carving on stones to IM... What's next? Without CDs They won't sell CD players. So if you don't convert to computer you will be out of business....
There's no question that the trend is a computer and song files... but discs aren't going away totally anytime soon. Not only are disc players still being produced... there are new models coming out regularly. Just like movie files and streaming are available, don't expect Blu-ray discs to go away for awhile.

We already have streaming karaoke music, so what do you think the "next hottest thing" is that will replace the computer and song files?
MixteryMike

Post by MixteryMike »

I don't know if I would call it the "next hottest thing", but I would not be surprised if in the next several years that the next steps in the evolution of karaoke are subscription based all-in-one packages (like KaraoQ) and a push towards completely digital and wireless technologies. We already have speakers that offer bluetooth connectivity, though most karaoke hosts still prefer to use XLR cables. Imagine not needing any equipment other than a bluetooth capable laptop/tablet that connects wirelessly to the speakers you use, and wireless microphones that connect to the system without the need for a mixing board (or any other equipment) to run a karaoke show.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Which brings up the question of Karaokes popularity. Will there be any singers left to play to? Is karaoke... As popular, more popular or less popular than it has been?
MixteryMike

Post by MixteryMike »

I would argue that karaoke is perhaps more popular now than ever before judging by the availability of karaoke apps for smartphones and tablets, the availability of free apps with streaming services at reasonable subscription rates (like Karafun and Red Karaoke), home karaoke solutions like the Karaoke Channel (available with most on-demand cable services and some gaming systems) and easy to use karaoke machines being more reasonably priced than several years ago, and karaoke games for game systems.

Although, that may not be a good thing for karaoke hosts and bars as the availability and ease of use of karaoke apps and songs increases for the average person. On the other hand, it could allow singers to practice at home so they can nail their performances when they go out to the karaoke bars. Only time will tell.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

There will never be a shortage of singers, but there is definitely a decline in singers who want to go to a bar to sing. Home karaoke has exploded in recent years. It is most popular among younger people now, many of whom are too young to get into a bar. Karaoke has also moved into the social media realm. With sites like Soundcloud people can have their karaoke performances heard by thousands of people instead of just a few people in a bar. The same goes for online karaoke sites like SingSnap. Then there's all the karaoke apps like MixteryMike mentioned.
The Lone Ranger

So that would mean wiseguy that the professional karaoke host is on the endangered list and will become extinct? At least as far as the strictly bar venue is concerned. Bars themselves are having a hard go of it and may soon disappear in the near future. The real money is in private parties anyway. Although the public exposure of a karaoke service is important to let people know that you are in business and to see what your service provides.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Less popular but not extinct. There will always be those who need to sing in front of a crowd of strangers. The bar business is not what it used to be but it will never disappear unless it is made illegal. Private parties pay well but they are also a pain in the ass. Especially wedding receptions. Karaoke parlors are becoming more popular because they are open to people of all ages.