New KJ, I have some questions

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: New KJ, I have some questions

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Speak for yourself. My Wedding in 1997 had karaoke and aside from the marriage not lasting five years, it was a huge success.
Just think about how long you might have stayed married if you hadn't jinxed it with karaoke at the reception. :D

The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

DanG2006 wrote:Speak for yourself. My Wedding in 1997 had karaoke and aside from the marriage not lasting five years, it was a huge success.

8) Good for you Danny, there are exceptions to every rule, I was just speaking from my personal experience. Every time the mixing of weddings with karaoke has come up the majority of hosts said it didn't work out that well. At least from the posts I've read on other forums.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Having quality equipment is good...knowing how to use it and mix the sound is more important. I've heard many complaints about other KJs that could care less how their show sounds. And that means they don't care how good their equipment is...or sounds. Also it's not just a way to get paid to drink and party. Wrong attitude for success. Every KJ that I ever knew that had that attitude wasted all their money. If you don't have a passion for putting on a quality show you'll fail. Or at least you won't make all the money you could be making.
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:Having quality equipment is good...knowing how to use it and mix the sound is more important. I've heard many complaints about other KJs that could care less how their show sounds. And that means they don't care how good their equipment is...or sounds. Also it's not just a way to get paid to drink and party. Wrong attitude for success. Every KJ that I ever knew that had that attitude wasted all their money. If you don't have a passion for putting on a quality show you'll fail. Or at least you won't make all the money you could be making.

8) Well said Bigdog.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Having quality equipment is important but knowing how to use it separates the average KJ from the real Super KJ. And if you got shit for music being a Super KJ doesn't matter because despite having the best equipment and knowing how to use it, you still sound like shit.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You can never depend on just one thing to make you successful. You must have a combination of a good sound system, an adequate and high quality music library, skills to get the best sound from your system, the right personality for the job, and the desire to treat everyone equally.
The Lone Ranger

That is why the total package is needed in this business. That is easier said than done, it still amazes me to see hosts that are successful and they haven't mastered all of the skills. That is where a certain amount of luck is needed. Some average hosts luck into long term high paying gigs, it does happen.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm constantly amazed at how many crappy KJs always seem to be working steady. These are the KJs everyone complains about their crap equipment that sounds bad....but for some reason people still go to their crap shows regularly. All these singers know the high quality show I put on...but they willingly settle for attending those crappy shows.
And I have the best sound system, quality music, $600 microphones, and I actually try to make EVERYONE sound good and run a fair rotation... So what am I doing wrong.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I'm constantly amazed at how many crappy KJs always seem to be working steady. These are the KJs everyone complains about their crap equipment that sounds bad....but for some reason people still go to their crap shows regularly. All these singers know the high quality show I put on...but they willingly settle for attending those crappy shows.
And I have the best sound system, quality music, $600 microphones, and I actually try to make EVERYONE sound good and run a fair rotation... So what am I doing wrong.
My guess would be your censored song library and refusal to work in smoking bars.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Bigdog wrote:I'm constantly amazed at how many crappy KJs always seem to be working steady. These are the KJs everyone complains about their crap equipment that sounds bad....but for some reason people still go to their crap shows regularly. All these singers know the high quality show I put on...but they willingly settle for attending those crappy shows.
Personality overrides $600 mikes. You can have the best equipment going but if you don't have a likable personality and sence of humour the crowds wont follow.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:redface:
Wow...so I should start smoking 3 packs a day, trade in my quality equipment for cheap crap, stop interacting with my cliental, run a profanity laced show, stop joking around and stop caring about how everyone sounds and I'll be successful....great advice...I should have done that 23 years ago...I could have been somebody.. :cry: I've wasted my life...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote::redface:
Wow...so I should start smoking 3 packs a day, trade in my quality equipment for cheap crap, stop interacting with my cliental, run a profanity laced show, stop joking around and stop caring about how everyone sounds and I'll be successful....great advice...I should have done that 23 years ago...I could have been somebody.. :cry: I've wasted my life...
We can always count on Bigdog to go into full blown exaggeration mode. You don't have to be a smoker to perform in smoking bars and the second hand smoke does not come close to equaling 3 packs per day. NOBODY mentioned anything about downgrading your equipment. NOBODY said anything about not interacting or joking around with your clientele. NOBODY said anything about not caring about how the singers sound.

Contrary to what you have talked yourself into believing, you don't have to censor your song selection to prevent running a "profanity laced show". I know because I've been doing it for over two decades. You asked why some people go to "crappy" shows instead of yours but you don't want the truth. You expect the customers to conform to what you want when it should be the other way around.
The Lone Ranger

While it is true wiseguy that a host has to play to the crowd, it is also true that the host is responsible for analyzing what kind of crowd he or she is playing to, and make the proper adjustments. If you are hired to do and adult gig then be adult. If you are doing a kid's party, however, and the entertainment is more family centered, you have to keep it clean. I have done everything from a bachelor party with full nudity to birthday parties for seniors, I tried to stay flexible. I didn't play at many smoking bars due to the strict California laws regulating when and where you could smoke.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Lone Ranger wrote:While it is true wiseguy that a host has to play to the crowd, it is also true that the host is responsible for analyzing what kind of crowd he or she is playing to, and make the proper adjustments. If you are hired to do and adult gig then be adult. If you are doing a kid's party, however, and the entertainment is more family centered, you have to keep it clean. I have done everything from a bachelor party with full nudity to birthday parties for seniors, I tried to stay flexible. I didn't play at many smoking bars due to the strict California laws regulating when and where you could smoke.
That is exactly what "conforming to the crowd" is. You don't need to censor your song selection. You simply tell the singer that a certain song is not appropriate for this particular venue and to pick something else. In another venue that same song may be perfectly fine. I've also done every type of venue imaginable, with the exception of a childrens' party, although I have done many community parties where children were present. The very worst are the full nudity parties for seniors :lol:. In some areas bars have a choice to be smoking or non-smoking. Few would disagree that smoking bars do better in these areas.
The Lone Ranger

very funny wiseguy.

By the way wiseguy do you think Bigdog is starting to feel the burn? Looks like it could be Sanders v.s. Trump, well at least this time voters could have a real choice, instead of the middle of the road baloney from both parties. Its Sunday everyone have a great day.