Say It Ain't So Tricerasoft

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
DanG2006

Say It Ain't So Tricerasoft

Post by DanG2006 »

Apparently the content on Trcerasoft has been illegal since November 15, 2015 when SBI told Tricerasoft to pull their songs off of their site.

The Lone Ranger

Re: Say It Ain't So Tricerasoft

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) Do you mean they are like all the other manus that have questionable material in their own libraries Danny? Do you really think there is a manu that has completely clean hands? I know you only carry material that is licensed. If a host has any type of a library that is a good size, even though they payed in good faith, they still might have some questionable material. Can any host be absolutely sure that all of their material is kosher, I think not.

Even the brands that Kurt and Jim have obtained have material that has either fallen out of license, or was never licensed in the first place. This company only fell out of license last year in November. Anyone who bought the material before that time should be grandfathered in. If not then a host would have to eliminate any material from his or her library if it is not currently licensed. I guess that would apply to you Dan since you boast having only licensed material in your show.

At one time SC had over 16,000 tracks in their library, now they have GEM with 6,000, does that mean there are about 10,000 SC tracks that can no longer be used in a show since the licensing has not been renewed? Chartbuster is in just as bad a situation thousands of their tracks are no longer licensed, does that mean the hosts would have to get rid of them as well? Weren't you the host that said you were going to dump your CB since Kurt and Jim took over the legal suing for that label as well as SC? If you paid for your tracks why would you dump them?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

No it is not that the songs weren't licensed anymore it was because they were licensed for sale in the UK but not in the USA. Big difference.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Some UK sites refuse to sell music to the U.S. because of piracy/ copyright issues..
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Bigdog wrote:Some UK sites refuse to sell music to the U.S. because of piracy/ copyright issues..
I would think people are more likely to pirate it if they can't get it legally :roll:
The Lone Ranger

That is really the whole point. When you dry up the supply of legally available karaoke tracks that leaves no alternative but rampant piracy, which you are seeing today in the karaoke entertainment industry. With less than 2% of the hosts ever being sued for trademark infringement , and only two defunct labels SC and CB controlled by PEP trying to do anything about piracy, it would seem that the chances of getting busted are nearly nil.
The Lone Ranger

DanG2006 wrote:No it is not that the songs weren't licensed anymore it was because they were licensed for sale in the UK but not in the USA. Big difference.
8) There really is a difference Danny? If you take the purist stance that no unlicensed material should be used, then once the license expires that would mean the host would have to remove the material from his or her library. Otherwise hosts would be using currently illegal material in their libraries. Unless you acknowledge that grandfathering does occur. There is also the problem of determining which SBI product is illegal, since at one time SBI did sell their CDG's in this country, and I'm sure they paid the licensing fees to do so. I have a full set of Zoom CDG's that you can no longer purchase in this country, they should be legal shouldn't they?
The Lone Ranger

Bigdog wrote:Some UK sites refuse to sell music to the U.S. because of piracy/ copyright issues..
8) I don't think it is so much because of piracy/copyright issues exactly, but rather the sad fact that of all of the countries in the world, the U.S. copyright laws are hopelessly antiquated and need to be put in sync with the rest of the global economy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

if you have the discs and purchased them before the cutoff date which was in July of 2011 or got them in an ebay auction if I remember correctly then you are fine.
The Lone Ranger

DanG2006 wrote:if you have the discs and purchased them before the cutoff date which was in July of 2011 or got them in an ebay auction if I remember correctly then you are fine.
8) I think I would be fine anyway Danny since Zoom is not going to audit me for my material, that is if I were still actively in the business full time, instead of semi-retired. In the real world the chances of getting called for non licensed material is very small for KJ's and isn't going to happen for DJ's at all. There is some bad news and some bad news in this whole business. The bad news is hosts will not be able to get new material because most sources domestically and imported have been closed to them. The other bad news is all of this will result in more hosts having to obtain material either of questionable or illegal status. I would have to think that every host if they are still in the business, must have in their libraries material that is not kosher. The average response from most hosts is that they are not going to worry about it, and that they will risk the chance they might get called on it. Does that make them pirates, that isn't for me to say, my dog is not in that fight.