System Setup - Big Picture Advice Needed!

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
theffern

System Setup - Big Picture Advice Needed!

Post by theffern »

Hey guys!

First time post for a karaoke newbie. My wife and I have hired a karaoke DJ for two recent parties and it was a HUGE hit. We decided to invest in our own equipment to have fun at home with family and friends! I have done extensive research online and have a general idea of what I need to get. However, I find a big void online when trying to figure out the big picture overview. I thought I'd post here and solicit advice!

Display
I have a very nice home theater with a 110" HD projector. I fully intend on using this as the karaoke display through an HDMI input.

Speakers
I understand that my home theater speakers, while top of the line, are not ideal for live vocals. So I plan to get 2 passive speakers optimized for live singing/karaoke.

Mics
I don't want to skimp here. Wireless is the choice. I am between the Shure PG58 combo that includes 2 mics or the GTD G787H which is cheaper but includes 4 mics.

Amp/Mixer
I definitely plan on getting a mixer, and would like one with an amp. I have my eye on the Samson XP800. That includes 2 speakers and the amp pushes 800W. It has 8 channels, so I can connect multiple mics and even our guitars or keyboard. That makes it more versatile than a dedicated karaoke mixer. It also has Bluetooth input - which we'll get back to. It does not have HDMI in or out.

So that brings me to the big question... How am I going to run the show? I know this much: I don't want a karaoke disc player.

Ideally, I would like to use my iPad mini to offer a wireless solution to karaoke. I could install a couple apps (KaraFun and RedKaraoke) that offer online subscriptions and huge song archives. Then, I use the iPad as the controller/selector. It sends audio output to the mixer via Bluetooth and video output to an Apple TV connected to my projector. The limitation here is that I cannot play any downloaded karaoke files. However, I have found the quality of most downloaded files to be far less than that offered by KaraFun. Also, KaraFun has the option to dial in the lead vocals as a guide since they record their own tracks. Is there a better app available for iOS that would run online streaming karaoke AND link to any downloaded files which would be stored on my home network? For example, the karaoke equivalent of Plex Media Server?

A secondary option would be to connect my existing media PC directly to an HDMI mixer (it's right behind it behind a wall). I could install the KaraFun software (which on PC allows streaming and local files). Then I'd have the best of both worlds. However, I would need some way to control the PC in the room where we sing. I was looking into remote desktops, but they are laggy and a pain to navigate. Any computer experts know of a remote desktop solution that would allow my iPad to run that PC? Another possibility I considered was a wireless touchscreen monitor for the PC. That would allow normal control of the karaoke software.

Finally, I could use a laptop to run the same karaoke software. It would be wired into the mixer and projector like a traditional DJ setup. I know some laptops have Bluetooth, and there are even HDMI dongles to maybe remove the cords.

So as you can see, my main issue is deciding the BEST app or software to actually play karaoke. That decision directly affects the mixer/amp decision. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious or there is a better solution. I am leaning on your combined wisdom!!!

Paradigm Karaoke

Re: System Setup - Big Picture Advice Needed!

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

my home setup
Behringer x1622USB mixer
GTD 787H mics
(2) Alto TS112A Speakers
karaokesparky

Post by karaokesparky »

I dabbled with different home setups over a couple of years and landed with this:

Computer: Windows laptop
Software: http://www.singsnap.com/ subscription
Mic: GTD Audio V-28H
Mixer: $60 Behringer mixer bought used from pawn shop
Display: Existing LCD TV
Speakers: Home Stereo

Assuming you have the stereo, TV, and laptop already, this is maybe $150 in equipment plus the monthly subscription for the website.

The mixer does not need to be fancy but I would say that reverb is required for the vocals. If you can get a mixer with compression and reverb built in, that would be ideal. Also, keep in mind that the headphone output on laptops varies wildly in quality. If your background music sounds bad, invest $20 in a USB - Audio adapter to improve the laptop audio.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

the exception is that home stereo equipment is not made to work with live vocals. over the years waaaayyyy too many people have blown their regular or even super audiophile home stereo systems just by singing through them a bit too loud or one accidental drop of the mic.