Need advice for a budget karaoke system

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
sonpro684

Need advice for a budget karaoke system

Post by sonpro684 »

Hey guys, my family and I really enjoy doing the karaoke but this is the first time I try to build one for the house, and don't really know which parts i should get since my budget is pretty limited after upgrading the TV (around 400$, could be 500$ if i push it). So can you guys give recommendations for the mixers and speakers for that budget? The living room is L-shaped and the TV space is at the top corner of the L, the area can fits around 8-12 people.

The Lone Ranger

Re: Need advice for a budget karaoke system

Post by The Lone Ranger »

sonpro684 wrote:Hey guys, my family and I really enjoy doing the karaoke but this is the first time I try to build one for the house, and don't really know which parts i should get since my budget is pretty limited after upgrading the TV (around 400$, could be 500$ if i push it). So can you guys give recommendations for the mixers and speakers for that budget? The living room is L-shaped and the TV space is at the top corner of the L, the area can fits around 8-12 people.

8) This is a real tough one on that budget. If you just need a machine to practice on at home that is easy to setup and has everything you need you might want to look at the all in one machines "The Singing Machine" which you can buy at Sam's club for 150.00. I bought my wife two of these machines over the last 8 years, she wore out the original which I bought for 50% off at JC Penny's. So I bought her another for 150.00 at Amazon. This newer version has USB and bluetooth, comes with speakers and a small color monitor built in. This saved me having to set up my rig when she wanted to practice. There is also the Akai KS 878 same type of product with bluetooth $155.99. One thing about these units they don't take up much room and are easy to assemble. Both however have cheap mics, so you might want to invest on a better quality microphone. What can I say they are cheap and complete and don't sound that bad.
sonpro684

Post by sonpro684 »

The Lone Ranger wrote:
sonpro684 wrote:Hey guys, my family and I really enjoy doing the karaoke but this is the first time I try to build one for the house, and don't really know which parts i should get since my budget is pretty limited after upgrading the TV (around 400$, could be 500$ if i push it). So can you guys give recommendations for the mixers and speakers for that budget? The living room is L-shaped and the TV space is at the top corner of the L, the area can fits around 8-12 people.

8) This is a real tough one on that budget. If you just need a machine to practice on at home that is easy to setup and has everything you need you might want to look at the all in one machines "The Singing Machine" which you can buy at Sam's club for 150.00. I bought my wife two of these machines over the last 8 years, she wore out the original which I bought for 50% off at JC Penny's. So I bought her another for 150.00 at Amazon. This newer version has USB and bluetooth, comes with speakers and a small color monitor built in. This saved me having to set up my rig when she wanted to practice. There is also the Akai KS 878 same type of product with bluetooth $155.99. One thing about these units they don't take up much room and are easy to assemble. Both however have cheap mics, so you might want to invest on a better quality microphone. What can I say they are cheap and complete and don't sound that bad.
Hey man. Thanks for the reponse. So if I spend that budget on a pair of speakers, which one should i get? Can I also use that kind of speakers for home theater system, cause I'm using a sound bar right now and I could use the sound bar for my PC
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

sonpro684 wrote:
Hey man. Thanks for the reponse. So if I spend that budget on a pair of speakers, which one should i get? Can I also use that kind of speakers for home theater system, cause I'm using a sound bar right now and I could use the sound bar for my PC

8) You cannot use home theater system speakers, they are not PA and cannot handle microphone input, which will probably damage them. The all in one systems I talked about above have a built in speaker system that can handle microphone input signals. You don't need a pair of PA speakers, you can run left and right on one speaker if you have a mono setting on the machine you are using. Kustom has a powered 12" PA speaker at the Musician's Friend site that you can buy sometimes on sale for $129.00. I use this speaker since there is no feedback on it and it is light, in the 35 pound range, it gets the job done on a small room situation.

P.S. The product listing for the above mentioned speaker is the Kustom KPX112P 12" powered speaker, currently on sale at Musician's Friend for around $150.00. A word of caution if you use a powered speaker make sure the machine you are using has no amp, since additional power input could damage the powered speaker, it has it's own built in mini amp engineered at the factory for that particular speaker.
akatsuki

Post by akatsuki »

I've been kind of looking for the same.

Right now, my current (still in thinking phase) is:

1. GTD G-622H wireless mics - $170
2. Harbinger Vari V2112 PA speaker with integrated 3 channel mixer - $212
3. iPad or you could use a cheap tablet for music selection and lyrics - maybe mirror to TV eventually.

This seems like it would work pretty well. The Harbinger includes a 3-way mixer, so you can get the two GTD mics + music source working no problem.

If you need more mics, you could drop the GTD, get a regular mixer with enough channels, and add wired mics up to your budget.