New computer new request policy

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

New computer new request policy

Post by DanG2006 »

I recently bought a new computer because I needed to address a newer technology due to the location of the singer's monitor that I use for the singer's monitor. The new TV location is basically across the room from where I set up and where I set up is the best location for acoustic purposes. Rather than run anot HDMI cable across the ceiling to the TV, I have chosen to use a technology that the TV has to receive the second screen wirelessly. Unfortunately my laptop is incapable of doing it. I was going to replace my Song Request Station with a computer that is running an up to date Operating system because the old one was running XP. I actually bought my new computer before I found out about the new TV and where it will be set up during the show. I guess that I got lucky that it has the capability to recognize wireless displays. I decided that if I am going totally digital with my setup that I should receive my requests the same way. I have an app that I can receive requests from any device capable of accessing the Web. I plan on setting up my old laptop for those who don't possess a device that is capable of doing it. So no more slips and no more verbal requests as well. I am still going to use books though so that those who don't have smartphones can look through and choose their songs before using the Song Request Station so that they don't tie it up.

DanG2006

Re: New computer new request policy

Post by DanG2006 »

For the most part, my singers tried their best to follow the new request submital policy. I can't blame them for its failure. The fault lay completely on how complicated the software designer made the steps to get a request done. If more of the singers had smartphones I might not have even noticed that there was a problem with the software. The reception end was the easiest of the software. It was trying to use it as a kiosk that got things screwed up. First you had to click log in to move to the actual log in screen. Then because it didn't differentiate between singer's names when you either logged in using Facebook or a set up account, say you had 4 Steves and they all used Steve as their Facebook first name or account first name, they would all come in as Steve with no way to know if it is the same singer or not so I have them use request W/On login and use a unique name like first name and last name initial. After that you had to type in my KJ handle to locate my book and hit make request to enter my songlist. Once there you can search my songlist and choose what you wanted to sing. After you finished with choosing your songs you had to click log off and then start all over again. I had my roommate working the kiosk or song request station and I spent more time guiding her through every step because when she got to where she was supposed to be looking for my handle, she would start entering the song title or artist that the singer wanted to sing before she was even in my book. I got so frustrated with the whole situation that I went to just taking verbal requests halfway through the show. I decided to look at other software choices and I believe that I found one that I had looked at previously before Tricerasoft and CompuHost came out with their kiosk softwares that actually sent the requests into the player's que. Siglos isn't set up to accept song requests straight into the que but supposedly they are looking at it for in the near future. I suggested to the developer of the program that I am going to be using which is SongbookDB that since they have already successfully integrated with MTU'S Hoster and PCDJ's Karaoki that the next logical step is to approach PowerKaraoke and suggest that they integrate his software with Siglos.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

While I have found a solution for the kiosk / Phone app working by switching to SongbookDB, I have decided to just use SongbookDB for my online Songlist. Instead I am toying with remote desktop which will allow me to actually run my show, with the exception of the mixing of the vocals and the music but I can do everything that I could do at the computer yet be able to walk over to someone browsing my books, I dropped the idea of totally getting rid of the books but choose not to print any more slips. I will just ask the spelling of their name if I don't know how to spell it. While it gets me in closer contact with my singers, it also allows me to let them know if the song they want to sing is already in the que for someone else and explain my policy on repeats.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Remote Request is a dead issue for me. I ran my last show with my remote desktop and loved it. My singers loved it too. I really enjoyed the interaction between my singers and myself and my singers seemed to like it too. All I did was to make it so that I could enter the songs without having to go to my computer or having to wait for them to come to me. I accomplished this by having a tablet and using a remote desktop app on my android tablet and my computer. I only had to return to my system to make minor changes in the mix of the vocals and the music.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

After careful consideration, I decided to go back to a modified kiosk approach. In trying to figure out how to run a kiosk and ensure that the person who actually put in the request is the singer that is getting up and not just someone who is trying to pull a joke on someone or even worse, someone who is trying to cheat the rotation system by creating a second or third profile, I am now running that kiosk on the tablet originally bought for the purpose of remote desktop. I now have an extra helping hand that is taking the tablet around collecting the requests while I man the sound system, call singers up to sing and transfer the requests into the player. Singers still get to make their requests from their own seat. To prevent the joke senerio I'm not accepting any outside requests. It must be made from the kiosk or I automatically ban the user and delete their request. I display the next four singers on the top of the singers monitor, consisting of a TV each for singer and audience, the singer's monitor that the singers use if they want the full effect of being a lead singer is a 19 inch tv that is facing away from the audience while the audience monitor is a large screen that the audience can see. So if a singer who sees and actually notices their name on the audience monitor and comes up to me and asks me what they are singing, I am going to call over my assistant to verify that they were the one putting in the request. If my assistant says no then that request gets deleted before I call them up to save them and myself from being a but of a joke. If the person who was playing the joke comes up and asks when is so and so coming up for the song that was put in as a joke, that person will get permanently banned from singing if they ever try to put one in for themselves.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

DanG2006 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm For the most part, my singers tried their best to follow the new request submital policy. I can't blame them for its failure. The fault lay completely on how complicated the software designer made the steps to get a request done. If more of the singers had smartphones I might not have even noticed that there was a problem with the software. The reception end was the easiest of the software. It was trying to use it as a kiosk that got things screwed up. First you had to click log in to move to the actual log in screen. Then because it didn't differentiate between singer's names when you either logged in using Facebook or a set up account, say you had 4 Steves and they all used Steve as their Facebook first name or account first name, they would all come in as Steve with no way to know if it is the same singer or not so I have them use request W/On login and use a unique name like first name and last name initial. After that you had to type in my KJ handle to locate my book and hit make request to enter my songlist. Once there you can search my songlist and choose what you wanted to sing. After you finished with choosing your songs you had to click log off and then start all over again. I had my roommate working the kiosk or song request station and I spent more time guiding her through every step because when she got to where she was supposed to be looking for my handle, she would start entering the song title or artist that the singer wanted to sing before she was even in my book. I got so frustrated with the whole situation that I went to just taking verbal requests halfway through the show. I decided to look at other software choices and I believe that I found one that I had looked at previously before Tricerasoft and CompuHost came out with their kiosk softwares that actually sent the requests into the player's que. Siglos isn't set up to accept song requests straight into the que but supposedly they are looking at it for in the near future. I suggested to the developer of the program that I am going to be using which is SongbookDB that since they have already successfully integrated with MTU'S Hoster and PCDJ's Karaoki that the next logical step is to approach PowerKaraoke and suggest that they integrate his software with Siglos.
Dan I use SongbookDB as a kiosk all the time. The way you describe your use it seems you are not logging in as a Kiosk because if you do log in as a kiosk once its setup no one else has to log in through face book or any other way or log out to let the next singer request a song. All they see is the main page for search. Once they search for a song and select their request they are taken to another screen to enter their name and initial, from the same page they can send you a note and request a key change. When that's done they send request, a notice comes up "request sent" then it resets to the search dialog for next request.
The only person who has to log in is you the DJ to set it up once at the start of the evening.

To set it up as a kiosk you have to add the word kiosk to the front of your login name with no spaces. you can't log yourself in via Facebook as that won't Tag on the kiosk.
Example: if your log in name is "[email protected]" you enter ="[email protected]"
I made a video of my complete setup using SongbookDB as a kiosk but I did also buy another app that locks the user into SongbookDB and stops them diverting to other sites. You can view my video here: https://youtu.be/L_qsmoTcGoY
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

To add to my above post here is the link to songbbookDB own video instruction on setting up as kiosk https://www.songbookdb.com/docs/djs/tut ... eos/#kiosk
You can fast forward to about 1.48 min to get to the main bit about entering your name with kiosk added.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The issue was with Luv2Sing. I already have used the SongbookDB app as a mobile kiosk at least once. I personally wish that they would integrate with the software that I am using because I have zero intentions of switching software now. The other person who is going to be working with me is now on what I consider a medical leave so I am actually going back to slips until she gets well enough to do the job that I have for her because collecting the requests, transferring requests, calling up singers and mixing the sound is a lot to do for just one person taking the requests as I am going to do once she is back on her feet. The singers who have smartphones can search my songlist and write down the songs that they want to sing so that they don't tie up the songbooks that are available for the non smartphone users. I think that I may pick up a in box for the singers to put their requests in so I can tell what hasn't been entered into the player.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Found a solution to the limited time issue. I am switching over to MTU Hoster on Thursday. Found out that SongbookDB doesn't have the issue that is present in Compuhost's phone app and kiosk which is the ability to create fake profiles and play pranks on friends by submitting songs under their names. I will be allowing users who possess smartphones to submit their songs via the phone app or SongbookDB webpage. For the ones who don't have smartphones they can make use of the mobile kiosk to submit their songs.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Had to buy a new laptop because the one that I was using got stolen from my apartment. I was at a friend's karaoke show of all things. I was supposed to have picked it up today but for some reason the laptop got delayed and separated from the other items that I bought. I am going back to a stationary kiosk and ditching the mobile kiosk idea. Although I enjoyed going out into the audience and collecting song requests, I actually prefer being close to the controls so I can adequately adjust the mix between the vocals and the music. I have one singer that I have to ride herd on the volume controls on the mic channel. I have to turn her down and then when she's finished turn the mic volume back up so that the other singers can be heard.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) I guess I was old school I just used the books arranged by artist or song title. True all I had was a little over 18,600 tracks listed but nobody ever complained I didn't have any tunes. Also I could always play any disc brought in.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I can play singer's discs and flash drives although I only ran into this once in a 20+ years of doing this. Although I embrace new technology that makes running a show easier, in many ways I am still a little bit old school when it comes down to how I run my shows.