Host singing and when not to sing

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
The Lone Ranger

Re: Host singing and when not to sing

Post by The Lone Ranger »

wiseguy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 am
Being honest, I can say that the only time I've seen a bad karaoke host get a big crowd is when the bar already was having big crowds without any entertainment or just a jukebox. In my area, you need to have a following of singers to be consistently successful. You will never accomplish this if you don't treat your singers like they are the most important part of your business.
8) Being honest, I can say that I have seen shows run by hacks, and charlatans, that had good crowds. Some lucked into a bar that had something going for it and no matter who hosted they would be successful. Some of these shows went on for years, and were only changed because new owners were looking to cut costs, the first place is usually entertainment. Sometimes it was because the owners wanted their friends running the show, which is always a bad call and a sure way to ruin a friendship. In a perfect world we like to think that order and sound business practices will make up for any short comings a show may have. It is very hard to have a host with what I call the full package as far as the varied talents needed to run a great show. Much of the old craftsmanship used to create a successful show is gone, this new generation of hosts have technology at their fingertips today that make many of the old shows look like horse and buggy.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have a couple of friends who are partners in a karaoke company. One of those friends I believe wasoriginally approached by the guy who I talked to. He referred him to me. I would guess to help me out. I have done the same for him. I believe that he enjoys running karaoke on an every other week basis on Saturday night and does private parties on the nights he isn't covering the bar. I don't really know but he thought of me and referred him to me. I am not going to argue with it.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

wiseguy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 pm The job of a KJ is to help the crowd enjoy themselves. Karaoke is the entertainment. We are not there to hog the mic and make ourselves the entertainment.
i fail to see how singing two or three songs in a night is hogging the mic and making myself the entertainment.
especially when compared to hosts who dj during the show. at least mine is all karaoke and not taking a 20 minute break to show off my DJ skills.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 am
wiseguy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 pm The job of a KJ is to help the crowd enjoy themselves. Karaoke is the entertainment. We are not there to hog the mic and make ourselves the entertainment.
i fail to see how singing two or three songs in a night is hogging the mic and making myself the entertainment.
especially when compared to hosts who dj during the show. at least mine is all karaoke and not taking a 20 minute break to show off my DJ skills.
If you have just 4 to 6 singers and put yourself in the rotation, you are certainly going to sing more than two or three songs. Every one is taking one from the singers. Do you feel the need to be Mr. entertainer? Unless I'm specifically hired to DJ I do it upon request from a large percentage of the crowd only. It's called being versatile and giving the crowd what they want. A capability you are apparently lacking.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Personally Wiseguy, I prefer straight karaoke and I pull myself out of the rotation after the rotation reached the number of singers that have put in requests. Most of the bar shows around here start out with a very small amount of singers and about midway through the show the large crowd comes in, majority of them work in the service industry and are just getting off work. Also consider that while the nonsingers in the audience knows that not all singers at karaoke are good, they still don't want to hear the same 4 or 6 singers get up multiple times. So an occasional DJ break or myself singing really isn't stealing any of the singers time especially in the first two hours of the show. A professional karaoke host would have the idea of when to sing and when to pull out of the rotation or for those who would prefer to play filler music when and when not to play filler music.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

wiseguy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:12 am
Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 am
If you have just 4 to 6 singers and put yourself in the rotation, you are certainly going to sing more than two or three songs. Every one is taking one from the singers. Do you feel the need to be Mr. entertainer? Unless I'm specifically hired to DJ I do it upon request from a large percentage of the crowd only. It's called being versatile and giving the crowd what they want. A capability you are apparently lacking.
4 to 6 singers?
i'm talking normal rotations...25+ at that point i may sing twice.