Piracy strikes again?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Intentional Heartache

Piracy strikes again?

Post by Intentional Heartache »

Here's a snippet from the Pop Hits Monthly Newsletter...
Beginning with the October 2005 issue, we will no longer be able to produce a Rock disc. This is the first Stellar Records product that has fallen victim to piracy. As you all know, piracy has been on the increase and is now of epidemic proportions. While sales in general are declining as a result of piracy, sales of our Rock disc have now decreased to far below the break-even point and as a result we will no longer be able to produce this disc. While there have been a number of other contributing factors however (i.e. unfair competition from competitor labels producing un-licensed or unauthorized titles), we can definitely point to piracy and as the single biggest culprit in the overall declining sales. We hope that in the very near future, a solution to the piracy issue will be found that will be comfortable for both the consumer and the record labels. Until such time it is not likely that a rock disc will re-emerge from Stellar Records.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Piracy is the least of our worries about the future of karaoke music. Take a look at this article "Music Publishers Are Killing Karaoke" .
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Intentional Heartache

Post by Intentional Heartache »

Very interesting. It seems that the music industry is both taking and giving a beating to anyone who wants to participate in karaoke. I wonder what could be done to try and get some of these laws changes or to prevent piracy.
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

I think I have heard of a term widly used for this. It's called GREED. I do believe in paying a small liscencing fee, but if they keep in mind, most karaoke cd's are not actually the original artist but someone else's rendition, and sometimes not even a good rendition of the artist's music (maybe that's why they want more $$, as punishment - haha).

It's not like peole are getting rich from performing karaoke. People sing to the artists' songs in thier car, this only provides a public forum in which to gather together to do so.

The industry is getting rediculous. First Napster, then this. When Metallica attacked Napster (I believe they were the ones who started this mass attack), the biggest 2 questions out there were "How much more money do they need?" and "Isn't it true that the real money made is off of cancerts?" I've heard thousands of bands say in interviews that "record" sales is not where the money is at, but in concerts, and memorabilia.

Well that's my two cents, and maybe a little more.

No, wait, one more thing. If this is the way they are going to treat karaoke in the U.S., that can lead to 2 things:

1.) The loss of the business in the U.S. (also meaning the government gets less in the form of taxes from the businesses).

2.) More piracey, due to teh extreme cost of the discs.

Boy, that makes it sound like a totally idiodic move on thier part. Maybe if the discs didn't cost so much, there will be less piracy. Who knows.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box.

No wait, one more thing..... just kidding.

Thnx for letting me vent.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I give you one more thing the extreme costs of the discs may also affect the muscians pocket as there won't be enough money to go towards the real music.
karyoker

Post by karyoker »

The US and Security Exchange Comission requires an annual report from corps etc...

Here is the one for Warner music one of those suing to get rid of the competition

here

If you scroll down to the bottom of pg 47 you see that they had a 6 million dollar increase in earnings last year Continuing on 48 their biggest loss was a decline in sheet music sales further down a decrease in artists releases..

The url to look up ant company here

Dont believe what their public relations is putting out it is lies...