New user, just saying HI!

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
eskimo karaoke

New user, just saying HI!

Post by eskimo karaoke »

Hi Karaoke fans and hosts!! My name is Shauna and I am a KJ in northwest Montana. Just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know I'm glad I found this website!! It's nice to see real life situations discussed.

I am relatively new at hosting Karaoke, although I've helped my husband for the past six years, so I wasn't completely in the dark. He's hosted karaoke on and off for the past 15 years in our area. I was lucky this year, one of the area's longtime hosts decided to go back to school and knew that my husband and I had the equipment and offered to let me take over for her (with approval from the bar manager, of course.) She had been in this particular bar for the past 7 years and had a well-established crowd. On my slower night (Thursday) I usually have no less than 15 singers and on my busiest night, I've had up to 60 singers (Friday.) On Wednesdays and Saturdays, I average around 25-35 singers. I'm really enjoying the social aspect of working in the bar, and enjoy the break from the everyday humdrum that being a housewife brings.

I invite any of your suggestions on how to bring out a good personality (likable and not annoying) on the microphone as a host. I'm a little dry with mine and usually only let loose when it's later and the bar is slower. I actually had some people one night, who were thanking my dancers (as I had been all night) and then realized that I have a tendency to repeat myself ALOT. Good Job singer...thank you dancers....I'm actually trying to come up with different things, so again, any thoughts?

Well, I'm glad I found this and look forward to browsing all the threads and look forward to hearing from all of you!!

Shauna in Montana
aka original-eskimo

Intentional Heartache

Post by Intentional Heartache »

Welcome to the discussion board :)

I don't really have any good suggestions other than be yourself and the rest tend to work itself out in the wash. The more shows you do, the more comfortable you'll get as well.

Good Luck with it :)
eskimo karaoke

Post by eskimo karaoke »

Thanks IH!! Nice to "meet" you :D
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi Shauna and welcome to the karaoke forum!

Too many KJ's don't seem to grasp the fact that karaoke is an entertainment in which the crowd entertains themselves and are not entertained by the KJ. The KJ's job is help the crowd entertain themselves without becoming an intruding presence. By this I mean the practice of rambling on with trivial dialog between singers. There are only so many ways you can say "nice job" and "thank you". More importance should be placed on getting the crowd to applaud each performance.
Full House Entertainment

Post by Full House Entertainment »

Hi Shauna & Welcome!

My hubby & I have been KJ'ing for about 10 years with him behind the mic and me mixing with the crowd. Just this year have I gotten behind the mic for more than a song or two and I felt, like you expressed, that I was a little dry. I realized that I was comparing myself (and trying to duplicate) my husband! Once I started letting go of the comparison and decided to behave as if I was on the other side of the mic it worked alot better for me! I still feel that Richard is the better KJ but I know I can do it and keep their interest.

In reference to what wiseguy indicated, I personally like the KJ to be entertaining... By that I mean having a good sense of humor, cracking a joke, and just generally enjoying themselves. I think this is done by making the jokes and comments include the crowd (individually or seperately). If they just rambled on I guess I would find that annoying but I haven't experienced that yet! I do agree that a KJ should try to get the crowd involved with the performance and encouraging clapping.

Just a few thoughts,
Susie :)
You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

Karaoke with Full House Entertainment
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

One thing I like is that after the singer sings, make sure to make mention of the singers name. They like the fact that you are at least trying to know them. Give a little, "Give it up for ..." or "let's hear it for....." something to that effect. Makes it more personable.
eskimo karaoke

Post by eskimo karaoke »

Thanks for all of your suggestions!! This week was really different for me. Wednesday and Thursday were the slowest I've ever seen, but then again, we had snow come thru and the roads were horrible. So we all came to the consensus that was the problem. Friday was great and so was Saturday. People are telling me that I'm doing a good job and I'm learning to listen to what they respond to. It gets easier every time. When I first started a few months ago, I would actually get butterflies in my stomach just to open the night with the introductions of the bar staff. Thankfully, that's gone away.

Looking forward to meeting more of you thru this forum.

Shauna