Canada Day Karaoke

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Liara

Canada Day Karaoke

Post by Liara »

We're going to be renting a machine and stuff for a Canada Day Community celebration...I've never done anything remotely close to this before...any suggestions on how to go about this?

We were thinking on having a contest with some small prizes at the end...but don't want to have only the "best" singers join...we want everyone to have fun, Kids and Adults alike.

Should we just run it like the bars do, or does anyone have any "fun" ways of doing this :)

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Karaoke rentals can be difficult to find in many areas. If you have no luck with your local music stores you might try contacting some of the karaoke entertainment companies in your area. They often have systems that they rent out although they don't advertise this.

My suggestion on the karaoke contest is simply "don't have one". Too many people take these things way too seriously and you will end up with a lot of unhappy and complaining singers. Also, finding competent judges is nearly impossible.

Karaoke on it's own will be a big crowd pleaser. Be prepared to be swarmed by children at your karaoke booth. Kids love karaoke and they rarely get the chance to participate in it.

Good Luck!
Liara

Post by Liara »

Thanks for the ideas. The local music store here is great for their rentals. They have a nice enough system and a few books etc already done.

We thought about the kids too and are thinking on have a "Kids Karaoke" early in the day, just for them.

People do take contests seriously, so I have to agree with you. I don't think we'll run one :)
karaoke george

Post by karaoke george »

Good Luck Liara on your "Canada Day Community Celebration". You have the right idea, and i'm glad you can find the rental stuff you need. Yeah...i agree the contest thing is really popular, but like "Wiseguy" says, folks tend to get stupid. Seperate the kids, like you plan. I always do that to. All little people want to get up there and hold the mic and sing. And mama and grandma think it's so cute. But the dropped mics, and the fighting, and standing there not singing a word is aggravating. What i do. Is i buy two new cd's, and i find a couple cd+g's at walmart. Not Sound Choice, but not bad. Then i have this big clear plastic jar, that a club owner gave me. I think bar pickles came in it. I put all the song request forms in the jar. At the end of the night. I have someone draw a couple names out of the jar, and they have their choice as to what they prefer top country cd's, or cd+g's. Tell them they "MUST" be present to win. Keep's them there till the end of your show. The club owners and the folks just love it. And you can get new release cd's at Best Buy right now for $9.95. And walmart has cd+g karaoke disc for as little as $5.95. Not Sound Choice, but not bad. It works for me. It's a small investment, which pays off in the end. :idea:
karyoker

Post by karyoker »

Home or private parties in bars are totally different than typical bar type karaoke. I change to a DJ/Kj format and have the ability to switch on a dime depending on the crowd.
When renting a system make sure the karaoke and DJ library has a good selection in the genre that you will be using. I rent out a system which is totally computerized to preteens teens and adults for all night slumber parties. But before booking a party I have to make sure we have the type of music that will be requested KJ or DJ.

A computerized system is better to rent out or rent simply because the renter ot rentee does not have to worry about scratching cds or losing them.. And the kida can learn the software in about 30 seconds.. Some adults take a little longer.....

Forget structered formalities and go with the flow and do what the guests want but give all equal time (dancers, singers etc) This is one time when kids can totally enjoy a good karaoke system and personally I dont believe in restricting them in any way shape or form. This is the time to teach them they can party loosen up sing and dance without drugs or any other crutch .......
Liara

Post by Liara »

I really like the pickle Jar idea...We don't have a best buy, but I do know that the local walmart has some karaoke CD's.

I think it'll be fun to watch the kids have fun with the mic's. I know I gave my neice a mic and some music for Christmas...she loves me for it...her parents...not so much. I'm hoping everyone will have some fun and the we get a good response. My biggest fear is that No one will want to sing and well...I can't hold a tune, so it'll be up to Hubby to pick up the slack :)