Hello all, question.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Crazy Diamond Entertainme

Hello all, question.

Post by Crazy Diamond Entertainme »

Hi, My name is Ron and I am starting my own business in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. A few questions, What is the most effective way to approach club/bar owners to pitch your show? I'm experienced with running for political office, so approaching people is not an issue. Just would like to know the do's and don'ts.

My area has VERY few DJ/Karaoke services, probably 5 or less in the entire region. The market is wide open and I would like to get off on the right foot. Thanks.

-Ron Esquerra
Founder
Crazy Diamond Entertainment.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi Ron and welcome to the forum!

What I do is visit the bars and clubs in the area, usually in the afternoon when they are not too busy. I'll sit at the bar and order a soft drink and maybe even lunch. You'll find that you can learn more about the place by chatting with the bartenders than by any other means. Try to find out what type of entertainment they hire, on what nights, and what kind of crowds they bring in. If they do not already have karaoke regularly, bring up the fact that you own a karaoke company and wonder if this might be something the management would be interested in. Leave your business card and inquire as to when would be the best time to find the manager or owner there.

Having been a professional KJ for over 15 years, and having owned a night club, I know that most places are reluctant to hire a newly formed karaoke company. Simply for the fact that have not been around long enough to build up a following. You may have to offer a low, introductory, price just to get you foot in the door. By no means try to take a gig off of another company by undercutting them as this will only cause you a lot of trouble.
Crazy Diamond Entertainme

Post by Crazy Diamond Entertainme »

Thanks, Like I said before the market is wide open. A few miles east is Marquette, fairly big town; college town in fact. They only have one bar that does regular Karaoke. The DJ companies around here focus mainly on DJ services, only one puts much focus toward Karaoke and I believe they only do 3 to 4 shows a week regionaly. So undercutting shouldn't be a problem. Also with the relative novelty of a Karaoke service up here, I think owners will be interested to hear what it could bring to their business.

All solid advice, Looking through the forums I have to also bring up the great idea one of your members had awhile back about putting up outside banners that advertise "Karaoke tonight" with maybe your company logo on them. I'll be investing in one for sure. Thanks again, glad to have found this place.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Ah nostalgia. When I first started my business there was only one other karaoke company within a 100 mile radius. That has now reached several hundred companies. Enjoy it while it last. The banner suggestion is a good idea. I like to print out fliers for the bar to post in strategic places. Another little trick that has provided me with quite a few gigs is placing my logo and business phone number on my song request forms. It's like having business cards spread all around the room.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

I have a sandwich Board cost me about 160.00 canadian to have made, says "Karaoke Here tonight @ 9:30 P.M. Over 7,000 Songs to Choose From," My Company Logo And Phone Number. I usually go down to the bar before it opens and put it on the sidewalk.

and Yep! wiseguy is right, phone number and logo on my song slips, and on the back of them i have the locations I play, the day and times. I can honestly say, every 1 of my singers has one of those in their purse or wallet. It's great and easy to do.