Dang It, Got Bit by the CAVS bug...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
letitrip

Dang It, Got Bit by the CAVS bug...

Post by letitrip »

We were asked to donate our DJ and Karaoke services for a holiday party this weekend at the local National Guard Armoury. Their real interest was in the DJ side of things, but the option to offer Karaoke was nice icing on the cake. Well we figured this would be a perfect time to try out our new 203G CAVS player. Well as it turns out, I'm glad we did because things didn't go well at all.

The first hour or so of the gig was dinner music, so we just ran a bunch of christmas CD's. BTW, the JBL EON15 G2's we bought were very impressive in this venu. Anyway, once dinner was wrapping up it was time for some announcements and then open up to Karaoke. Well we threw in an SCDG for Daryll (my business partner) to warm up the crowd and guess what? Player froze! Would not play any of our SCDGs. We had a couple CD+G discs with us, they worked fine. Seems our Brand Spanking new CAVS player has a logic board issue :x

We had tested our entire new setup repeatedly prior to this gig and didn't experience a problem, but as murphey would have it, get to the gig and it crapped out. Luckily we had a backup strategy and things turned out ok but time to look at some different options. The big problem being the amount of money invested in SCDG discs.

The player will be repaired, but I don't trust it much anymore. I think we'll be switching to a PC real soon. CAVS makes players that can play the SCDGs on the PC, or for about twice as much I can get an MP3+G player and the software to rip the songs off the SCDG's. Don't know which way we're headed yet but let this serve as yet another example of why backup equipment is SO important.

Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Alas, another CAVS horror story. Sorry you had to be involved in this one.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Eh I admittedly had heard some stories going in, but decided to take my chances anyway. The bright side is we at least have options and we're no worse for the wear (other than $230 on player that we may only use as a backup now).

Of course it was kinda funny that the CAVS player when it would fail kept throwing up that big CAVS logo screen for everyone in the joint to see while we were having problems. How about that for publicity!!
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Wow i've seen and heard all the stories and i would personally never get involved with any of their systems. 1 poor karaoke host none the wiser found out you can't differentiate between the DJ music and the karaoke music so which ever track you pull is a gamble. i hav heard many horror stories. I think ya can't fix something that ain't broke... so why change your karaoke style? system?

Marlena