Back up your karaoke disc collection?

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!
karyoker

Post by karyoker »

I see all these references on forums and with a google search about so&so suing so&so Yet no outcomes are ever promulgated although I did find this one. here

And most try to differeintiate between private and commercial use..
• Purpose and Character: The purpose and character of the proposed use is likely non-commercial. That is, the owner of the Karaoke CDG, whether a professional who performs or hosts public shows or a private individual, is not trying to profit from copying and reselling the CDG. They are either backing up the content of the CDG, or simply moving the content from the CDG format to a Hard Drive format (for example) for ease and efficiency of use. This is exactly the type of copy contemplated for digital music in the AHRA. However, an argument could be made that the use is commercial, since the music contributes to the ability of karaoke DJs and nightclubs to profit. Even if ultimately found to be a primarily commercial use, this factor will not by itself be determinative in finding the overall use an infringement under US copyright law. For example, the US Supreme Court found the 2 Live Crew's use of a Roy Orbison song “Pretty Woman” to be a fair use even though the use was use for commercial purposes.
According to this playing music in a converted format does not constitute commercial use. Although Alot of folks are lying and want you to believe that...

There already is a trend that is favoring private parties and now they are talking about private karaoke rooms in this country. More and more are putting karaoke systems in their basement along with their home entertainment system.

Somebody needs to inform these producers that there is a new medium other than cd's and they need to start providing legal downloads at a fair price.. Instead of trying to bastardize federal copyright laws.. Remember we kj's do not have lobbyists in congress but I can see consumers are starting to see some representation at least from the 9th circuit court of appeals...

This post in no way supports piracy but it pales in comparison to what corps and developers are doing to their employees and this great nation of ours..

Marlena

Post by Marlena »

in canada, the us copyright laws to do not apply to us, and our copyright laws are different. So yes we can back up our discs no matter how much the manufacturers whine.

Marlena
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have many Sound Choice and other discs that are becoming ruined. You can see through the foil.
I will backup all of my music to a hard drive.

If my hard drive becomes illegal and I have to go out of business the first thing I will do, will be to buy a loaded illegal hard drive for the house. Personal use only. Nothing personal...
Alkmenes

Post by Alkmenes »

Just for joke:

Tim-myth said: "(3) Making a back-up copy means using the whole portion of the song. How good would a backup of only half the song be? Again, this would seem to favor the copyright holder."

But, if you make a copy extracting the song (is just an example) in a Mp3 format, regularly based on a 128Kbps bitrate, you're using only the (about) 10 (ten) % of the song.
Infact almost everybody knows that the Mp3 compression is a "lossy" way to compress the "wave" (usually 14.4KHz) to create a "backup" copy.

As well known, Mp3 compression, even if converted again in wav file, doesn't gives back the same quality (this means lossy, I guess, but I'm Italian and so maybe I'm in fault). So, the simple conversion from WAV to Mp3 and back should be intendend as a 10%-use of the song, or not?
From Italy, with a song ;)
djBe

Post by djBe »

Copying legally purchased CDG music to an upgraded storage media like a hard drive is no crime. Going CDG to CDG is a little more fuzzy.

I plan to back up my CDGs to a hard drive recorder that doesn't compress the tracks. Looking at U-Best DA-268. In the meantime, I've been busy backing up some of my CDGs to DVD through the RCA line-in of a Sony DVD recorder, about five CDGs fit on a sixty cent DVD-R Video set at LP.

I record five discs in a row with a 5-tray Acesonic player (that's good for nothing else) then chapter it out later, up to 99 chapters, each one is a track. It's real-time music backup and the sound quality seems fine so far. And I don't have to hang around while it works. Low-tech by today's options for sure but for those of you out there who want to back up your karaoke music without messing with 'puters or who can't afford to just yet...you can lighten your load by 80 percent with a top-name machine that's all over ebay, new, for $130.

I'll drop by this thread after I've run some of these homeade "DVDGs" at my shows.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
islawkugmo

Post by islawkugmo »

This is still an issue now.. Personally, I think I should be able to backup the copy of the karaoke cdg i purchased.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The copyright laws were written long before the computer age.

They haven't kept up to date to include format shifting.
The idea is that when you put the file on a comuter from a disc, you didn't have permission from the song owner to do it.

The majority of KJs feel we should have a right to protect our inverstment. As long as we are not using the files to sell or give away.

After switching to computer shows discs are too old fashioned now. With a hard drive the songs don't skip there is nothing to scratch and much easier to transport.

As far as using compressed or uncompressed files. I think my music sounds fine compressed. I, nor anyone at karaoke has ever said they have noticed any song sound quality difference.

I've worn out a lot of disc players. They were never built to take the punishment of playing out 5-6 night a week. Drawers open and closed every 3 minutes. The computer doesn't care and other than an occasional need to reboot or trouble shoot a software issue the mechanical part of the show keeps on ticking. Using a computer is far less expensive and trouble free as far as discs and player maintenance goes.

I won't go backwards.