What would be a "fair" karaoke contest?

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!
wiseguy
Site Admin

What would be a "fair" karaoke contest?

Post by wiseguy »

You will rarely witness a karaoke contest where there are no complaints about the outcome, judges, scoring, etc.. Many people who enter a contest vow to never enter one again. What do you believe is needed in order to have a fair karaoke contest? What criteria should be considered in the judging? Should crowd response figure in? Who should select the judges? What credentials should judges possess? Should the KJ running the contest have any input?

overthehill2

Fair Karaoke Contest

Post by overthehill2 »

I don't really qualify to answer this one Wiseguy. You are right about one thing...there will be complaints for sure!! Just remember, do your best for you'll never please everyone! :wink:
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
kjgreg

Post by kjgreg »

We just finished a 4 week long contest that was as fair as we could make it and still we had complaints on scoring & judges. We rotated our judges and the was only one judge that judged twice. I know she was being unbias for she is my wife. But still had the comments of unfair judgeing.

I think there will never be a contest that does not go without problems. We can just do our best to run fair contest.
SingingDoc

Post by SingingDoc »

No contest is ever fair. There is always only one winner and a whole lot of 'losers'. Perhaps there is another way of saying contest without saying contest. Or perhaps incorporating a bunch of smaller contests within the main contest. That way no one ever feels left out....just a thought. :roll:
KSinger

Post by KSinger »

Contest can be fair if done properly;BUT you will ALWAYS have complent. Using
crowd response brings baisness in the result; may be good from the bar point of view.
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

I agree that you can never please everyone, no matter how well organised the contest but in my experience, it's a good idea to have judges who are not regulars to the contest venue so that they can be seen to be impartial. I also believe that this is the only 'criteria' that needs to be set for judges - except of course, a love of music and of being entertained. I've been a contest judge on many occasions and have had little difficulty picking my winner based on my appreciation of all of these things.
"Sing like there's nobody listening"
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

it's a good idea to have judges who are not regulars to the contest venue so that they can be seen to be impartial. I also believe that this is the only 'criteria' that needs to be set for judges - except of course, a love of music and of being entertained.
I agree that the judges should not be regulars but I have to strongly disagree that this be the only criteria. You can't have "tone deaf" judges that will most likely choose a winner because they like the song they sang or the way they look.
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

You can't have "tone deaf" judges that will most likely choose a winner because they like the song they sang or the way they look.
Lol..Good point! However, I have to say in my defense that most of the people I know (who would be the first to admit to being 'tone deaf') are also some of the harshest critics of those who profess to have musical ability and take the role of judging very seriously! :lol:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

people I know (who would be the first to admit to being 'tone deaf') are also some of the harshest critics of those who profess to have musical ability and take the role of judging very seriously!
Harsh critic or not, if I were blind I would make a poor judge at a beauty contest. :wink:
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

Harsh critic or not, if I were blind I would make a poor judge at a beauty contest.
Touché! :) ....but seriously, surely tone deaf people only lack the ability to sing in tune themselves?....it surely doesn't mean that they aren't able to appreciate hearing a good singer? Probably something like a third of the population regard themselves as 'tone deaf' but still show their appreciation of music and talent by buying CDs, going to concerts and even by playing a musical instrument.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

surely tone deaf people only lack the ability to sing in tune themselves?....it surely doesn't mean that they aren't able to appreciate hearing a good singer?
I think you're confusing people who are "tone deaf" with people who "can't carry a tune". Webster's dictionary defines tone deaf as "unable to distinguish differences in musical pitch". Those who are tone deaf can still play a musical instrument from sheet music but not by ear. Those who can't carry a tune do not have the vocal cords for singing but may still have a good ear for music.

In my opinion, anyone who is a good singer, and likes a wide variety of music, can be a good karaoke judge. Of course it helps if they stay sober during the contest. :wink:
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

Okay...I concede defeat re 'tone deaf' v 'can't carry a tune' :roll: but I can't agree that karaoke judges also have to be good singers! Simon Cowell (who I dislike intensely by the way), admits that he can't sing a note but never the less, he's made his millions from judging and recognising other people's talent. Oh...by the way...the sober bit was spot on! :lol:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I can't agree that karaoke judges also have to be good singers!
I wasn't implying that a person MUST be a good singer in order to be a good karaoke judge... thus my statement "Those who can't carry a tune do not have the vocal cords for singing but may still have a good ear for music". As for Cowell, I wouldn't have him for a judge at a pig calling contest. :wink:
Krissyoke

Post by Krissyoke »

Hmmmm....me neither! :)
"Sing like there's nobody listening"
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

wiseguy wrote:
surely tone deaf people only lack the ability to sing in tune themselves?....it surely doesn't mean that they aren't able to appreciate hearing a good singer?
I think you're confusing people who are "tone deaf" with people who "can't carry a tune". Webster's dictionary defines tone deaf as "unable to distinguish differences in musical pitch". Those who are tone deaf can still play a musical instrument from sheet music but not by ear. Those who can't carry a tune do not have the vocal cords for singing but may still have a good ear for music.

In my opinion, anyone who is a good singer, and likes a wide variety of music, can be a good karaoke judge. Of course it helps if they stay sober during the contest. :wink:
There is truth to this. If a person hates country music, will they judge accurately to those who sing country. The other part about being sober.... oh yes, what a difference this makes. I believe being drunk leads to being temporarily tone deaf.

Personally, I like having different categories like type of music (it's hard to be able to differentiate a good country singer to a good alternative rock singer), best performance, etc..

Not everyone is going to like your decisions. What I believe is, you don't like the way I run the contest, or you don't like the outcome, run your own and see if it's as easy as you think.