What would be a "fair" karaoke contest?

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Ariespoker

Post by Ariespoker »

Bigdog wrote:It always starts innocently enough as a singing contest.

What it turns into is a gigantic business killing mess.

It becomes a beauty contest.

A popularity contest.

Who patronizes the bar the most contest.

Who's local and a regular contest?

Who spends a lot of money here contest?

How many locals will quit coming, if a local doesn't win contest.

What judge hates country music contest.

How many of my friends will come for the audience response, even if I suck contest.

Which one of the KJs friends will split the money with him if they win contest.

Who the bar owner wants to sleep with contest.

Very rarely does the best singer ever take the prize.

Singing contests should be exactly that, but I have seen every one of these happen. That's why as a KJ, I will never do a contest again. It's not worth the damage they leave behind.
that seems like a mess. i didn't realize folks take karaoke so seriously. i can see why u wouldn't do a contest again. what were ur reasons for throwing the one contest u threw in the first place?

djBe

Post by djBe »

contest.

i'm just getting through a contest where the judges were not properly coached leading to every possible problem including:

judges more concerned with partying than judging;

judges not paying attention to the contestants;

judges conversing loudly during performances;

judges walking away from the judges table during performances;

judges leaving before the contest is through leading to an even less-preapered judge;

judges openly collaborating with the other judges on score totals (total of 30 possible) rather than arriving at their results individually and impartially;

judges giving out perfect 10s for clearly flawed performances;

judges holding up their scorecards before the performance was through...and on and on.

the main point here is KJs need to be in on the judge vetting process because if that's out of your hands, the contest is out of your hands - yet its your rep that's on the line.

Bad judging also affects business. newcomers to the venue singers who felt they were judged badly haven't been back, so yeah we've got a bump in business with the contest but poor or poorly-coached judging can negate that by alienating newcomers and regulars alike.

As every other poster here noted, people will always second-guess the judges, blame the KJ, and holler foul, but at least if the judges (it always seems to be three like Idol nowadays) with the basic decorum that goes with judging anything - paying attention, looking interested, caring...you can keep the negative vibes to a minimum.

Just two more weeks to go...
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That is why I stopped doing contests. And I will never do one again even if it means losing the job. I'll walk.