Computer based karaoke companies under fire.

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!

Sound CHoice being fair or are they over reacting

yes they have a right to force us to stay in the age of cds
6%
no, they should only target those that are real pirates
94%

Total votes: 18

Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Computer based karaoke companies under fire.

Post by DanG2006 »

Sound Choice and the makers of Pop Hits Monthly have declared war on Computer based Karaoke Hosts. Their platform is that it is illegal, whether home based or Commercial to run a karaoke show using a cavs system or hard drive system. They equate us as pirates which we are not.
A pirate in my book is one who either copies discs to sell or give to others or runs more than one system off of one set of originals (whether or not it is multiple computers or disc based systems)and those who recieve the illegal libraries. It is those that Manufacturers should be going after, not those who run a one to one ratio as there is no financial loss to manufacturers of karaoke if each legitamite Karaoke company buys the number of copies of each disc in their collection for each system they run.

We as karaoke Hosts should not be bullied from moving to new techmology just cause two manufacturers are feeling threatened by a number of other companies making the move to converting their libraries to computer downloads so that We as the consumer can even avoid the whole format shift issue.

I propose we boycott the manufacturers that refuse to change with the times. Lets put them out of business by not buying their product untill they decide they have to adapt to stay afloat.

Danny G's Karaoke will no longer purchase discs from Steller Records (Pop Hits Monthly) and Sound Choice and hope others will join me in Boycotting these bullies who are going to turn dinosaurs as the digital age passes them by. Instead Top HIts Monthly and Zoom will be what I Buy as I can get the songs one at a time if I so choose.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It would not be a problem replacing the songs that Sound Choice and PHM release. They mostly mimic whatever Chartbuster, StarDisc, and THM release. Sound Choice, while they may be the best quality, are overpriced anyway. Sound Choice has also always been the "big crybaby" of the karaoke industry with their infinite greed. I quit buying their products long ago. Computer based karaoke is going to replace discs no matter who doesn't like it. Those who do not conform will simply cease to exist.

Maybe we should all just stop buying karaoke discs altogether and force all the music manufacturers to sell downloadable song tracks.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Maybe we should all just stop buying karaoke discs altogether and force all the music manufacturers to sell downloadable song tracks
That would be the ideal, however, the first step is folks like Panorama and others need to prove two things. One, they need to show the level of quality which Sound Choice and others have. Two they need show that they can provide the same if not better level of song selection as the CD based vendors.

Personally, we already have shifted most of our purchases to online. There are so many benefits that I can't even list them here. Panaroma seems to be leading the way and if their quality and selection continue to improve, they'll take over the market.

BTW, I believe Chart Busters has all but pulled out of the online game now haven't they? I can find few if any of their songs through CAVS or Tricerasoft.

For the record, what Sound Choice is doing by chasing the "small fish" is no different than what the RIAA has chosen to do. The big difference is Sound Choice is trying to invent laws that don't exist where as the RIAA has realized that whether they like it or not, it would be near impossible to go after those that chose to rip their legally owned CD's to the PC.

Maybe we need a logo that we can all add to our websites, signatures, etc. that declares we are "Sound Choice Free" :lol:
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

That would be the ideal, however, the first step is folks like Panorama and others need to prove two things. One, they need to show the level of quality which Sound Choice and others have. Two they need show that they can provide the same if not better level of song selection as the CD based vendors.
Zoom is as good if not better than Sound Choice and they have downloads on their site and on tricerasoft. And as for panarama, I find it as good as Pop Hits with the availability of what they release on cd in their downloads or even their mp3+g sets that are burnt to disc for distrubution.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have a hard time understanding something... :?

Sound Choice sells karaoke songs from their site, so you can download them to a....

C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R

H-A-R-D D-R-I-V-E. :shock:

What part of illegal am I missing???

Sell them to my computer hard drive and then arrest me for illegally having them???? :idea:

My lawyer would have a field day with this one... :lol:
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Where on SoundChoice's website can you download their music? I've seen they offer the ability to buy CD's and also buy custom CDG's but I've never seen anywhere on their site you can buy downloads.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

kingsofkaraoke wrote:Where on SoundChoice's website can you download their music? I've seen they offer the ability to buy CD's and also buy custom CDG's but I've never seen anywhere on their site you can buy downloads.
They sell it through google's video section. Problem is they are only playable through google's player so it is a waste of money. Again as Wiseguy says "They are over priced" at $5 a download.
Zoom is available for half of that and their quality blows Sound Choice away.
Considered purchasing some Nashville Star discs but recently found out that they are Sound Choice Products so they are in the do not purchase column along with Sing It Now (Pop Hits) and American Idol (Sound Choice).
It's okay to purchase Priddis as their stand is as long as it's a 1:1 ratio they don't care how you play it. Chartbuster was never available on tricerasoft but only available at CAVS' site.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

One thing is for sure. If there are enough people irritated with the industry it will make a difference. This might make the kjs who own their music store unhappy but maybe they need to come into the new age as well -- or get left behind -- again just as the 8track tape
"Come Sing with the Wolf!!"
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

I offer several opinions for your consideration:

As of yet, I have been unable to find a copy of the recent "letter" that SC and Stellar is purported to have sent to venues regarding computer based karaoke shows. So, I've come to the conclusion the letter doesn't exist and the two companies, if involved in this rumor, are glad to have caused this ado about nothing.

If format shifting is such a problem, why aren't the publishers going after DJ's who have their shows on computers?

The superiority of SC is in the ears of the beholder. And I, for one, have no qualms in purchasing alternative products.

Assuming, for argument's sake, that SC's quality is superior, opinions vary as to impact of having a "lesser" quality disc in ones catalog. Just because SC might be good doesn't mean that an alternative product is no good!

KJ's can test a competitor's product. Purchase a disc with several popular tracks from another manu and see the reaction, if any, of your regular singers to the replaced track. Consider, in doing so, that some may have a bias to the SC just because that is what they have become used to. So, you might have to suggest that they try the alternative a couple of times and keep an open mind when doing so!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

As of yet, I have been unable to find a copy of the recent "letter" that SC and Stellar is purported to have sent to venues regarding computer based karaoke shows. So, I've come to the conclusion the letter doesn't exist and the two companies, if involved in this rumor, are glad to have caused this ado about nothing.
Take a look here...
http://www.karaokestar.com/sounchoicsta11.html
http://www.karaokestar.com/stelrecstat.html
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Sorry, I am not impressed with that website. That website is, basically, what has caused the current frenzy. And if you stop to really consider the linked document, it is nothing more than a PURPORTED press release. There is no evidence that anyone in the news media has done a story on this subject. And even if they did, what significance should I draw from a story based upon a press release, anyway?

I also am suspect as to why this basically obscure website is the primary link on the internet people point to, to support the supposition that SC and Stellar are taking legal action regarding format shifting? Let's face it, that website is not the place where one should go for legal news!

If you Google the subject, you won't find anything more. Many have tried to do so and have failed. There's absolutely nothing new on-line involving SC and Stellar in regard to anyone having received this supposed letter! Most significant is the fact that there has been no other evidence on any forum that such a letter has been received by any venue.

It's my opinion that we have all been dupped into believing SC and Stellar are actually pursuing the matter. Meanwhile, so much energy has been exerted by so many of us, including myself, because of this posting on the Karaokestar website.

One poster on another forum has suggested that at a "karaoke" convention in late January, he confronted Stellar and SC regarding this letter. The poster believes that the furor they have caused (not accompanied by actions) was created as part of a settlement in a lawsuit initiated against both of them by an artist (Eminem). Whether true or not, where's the "beef". Let's see evidence that any venue received a legal letter from either SC or Stellar!

PS Since it's my opinion that there has been a great todo about nothing at this time regarding this matter, I am happy to see that only 4 people even bothered to respond to this poll!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

My question to KaraokeStar.com:
I am the owner of the Karaoke-Tutor.com web site and the Karaoke Forum. My question is about the alleged letters that Sound Choice and Stellar Records have been sending to karaoke venues in the Phoenix and Scottsdale area. Your pages at http://www.karaokestar.com/sounchoicsta11.html and http://www.karaokestar.com/stelrecstat.html appear to be the only source of this information. Some of my forum members, and other visitors to my site, believe these letters to be a hoax and further contend that there is no evidence that any karaoke venue has received one of these letters. Can you provide any evidence that these letters are indeed authentic and that any karaoke venue has received one?
Response from KaraokeStar.com (and for the record, I believe them)
We can assure you that these letters are real and have appeared in the local Phoenix karaoke magazine FastLane. In addition, many bars in this area HAVE received Cease and Desist letters directly from Sound Choice. We do not have a copy of the Cease and Desist letters on our website, but we have read it and we know for a fact based on conversations with local KJ's that the bar owners are taking notice. We have heard that some KJ's have been let go and bar owners are seeking out KJ's who use actual CDG's in their shows.

The reason this information is on our website is because we have a retail store in Phoenix and our local customers are being impacted. It appears that this issue has finally reached a boiling point (especially in this market) and the parties involved have selected Phoenix to initiate their campaign. We made sure these letters were authentic before we posted them. KaraokeStar.com has an excellent reputation in the karaoke industry and would never want to compromise it. We have forwarded your email to Stellar Records and Sound Choice in hopes that someone at their office will confirm this with you as well.

Perhaps the reason you are not finding these letters on other websites is that most of our competitors choose to sell the very equipment/systems mentioned in this letter and presenting this information would probably hurt their sales and be a conflict of THEIR interest. We've been in business over 10 years and have tried our best to educate our KJ customers on the best way to build their karaoke business within the laws as they stand today. While we would love to embrace all the new technology as we know how much easier it would be for our KJ customers (and much more profitable for US), we cannot bring ourselves to sell something that could get our customers in legal trouble. Someday that may happen, but in the meantime, we can only recommend the use of actual CDG's in a commercial environment.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

I'm still cynical, but let's see if we can find KJ's or venues from Phoenix to substantiate the statements made by Karaokestar. You would think such input would have already appeared in some KJ or Dj forum. Why Karaokestar is going to approach SC or Stellar for documentation instead of getting it from a local venue is beyond me? And I don't think SC or Stellar will provide a copy of a letter with the name of any recipient(s) on it! Without the name of a venue, a letter from SC/Stellar proves nothingl

It does make perfect sense, however, that Phoenix would be targeted first. There is an abundance of karaoke there, I'm told; vitually on every corner. And I've been informed that there are lots of venues that have their own computer rigs and hire hosts/hostesses to run them.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

And I don't think SC or Stellar will provide a copy of a letter with the name of any recipient(s) on it! Without the name of a venue, a letter from SC/Stellar proves nothingl
If Sound Choice or Stellar Records makes a statement that they have sent Cease and Desist letters to any venue in the Phoenix and/or Scottsdale area then this should be enough proof for anyone.
Phxkj

Post by Phxkj »

It does make perfect sense, however, that Phoenix would be targeted first
Wyndy, your right it does make perfedt sense, Phx has at least 500 karaoke shows a week maybe 750. Most of which are done off of hard drives with 60 to 90 thousand songs on the hard drive. You asked for someone from Phx to tell you, so I'll be happy too. The articles from SC and Stellar have been published in what would be one of our Bar/kataoke magazines here in town. It was a half page. I have also personally seen the cease and desist letter from SC. This has been a topic of conversation on several other sites for weeks now. Whether your for it or against it. I personally am a disc based kj that does around 40 shows a week. And am all for this obviosly. I am aware of 2 karaoke operators and about 20 bars/rest. that have gotten this letter.