What do you charge

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!
cmonroe50

What do you charge

Post by cmonroe50 »

I am just getting started. Do you charge by the hour or by the event and do you have a minimum? I thought I should charge less in the beginning until I get more expereince. Is There any kind of license involved?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Your fee will depend on many factors. As does ours.

What are you doing? Weddings, private parties, bars??

I charge by the hour for everything but bars. I have stopped doing anything but bars.

Now one thing you better do. If you are doing weddings that costs many thousands of dollars, you better have a back up plan for everything. If you use a computer, you need two. (NOT MAYBE) Two hard drives and anything else that can fail. You do not want to be sued for the cost of a $10-15-20,000 reception because you ruined everything by not providing the entertainment you contracted to provide. Only two things can ruin a wedding. Bad food or bad DJ.

This is one reason I stopped doing parties and weddings. Too much resposibility. I have everything backed up. But I don't like DJing and since I switched to computer, I don't have any DJ music on it. Like I said I don't want to do any of them anymore.

Bars get a straight price for 4 hours. This price is less because I look at these as my bread and butter steady income.

A bar job for me = $10,000 a year.

I do strictly karaoke all night long in a bar. Nothing else. No Djing of any kind.

Doing any kind of private party or a wedding, DJing will be a requirement with your karaoke. No DJing will cause a riot and you won't get any kind of a good recommendation for other parties.

Price also is based on how good you are.

How good your equipment is.

How well you know how to use it.

How current your music is.

How good your competition is.

What I charge and what I am worth are two different things. Because of a saturation of crappy KJs the fee I can charge is reduced.

My party fee was $100 per hour but that agin depends on the going rate in your area. $100 is probably pretty low now. I would at least do $200 hour today. Many are charging $3-400 per hour. So do a straight fee based on hours. These usually involve lights and other add-ons.

Most of my competition charges less than I do.

The fee subject is very subjective. :shock:

Licensing is required in certain areas. It's not really a license it could be a work permit that is connected with local tax collection. As a business person providing a service. I don't have anything like that.
cmonroe50

Rates

Post by cmonroe50 »

So I was thinking about 200.00 - 250.00 a party based on a 4 hour party to start. I am just building my equipment and my song library. I am computerized and was thinking of getting another computer like you said. I can't think of a worse nightmare than the computer crashing. I don't think I would do a wedding because I have watched too many court shows and wouldn't want to get sued. I do have my computer system loaded with DJ music as well but I am not an experienced DJ. I am starting this because of my true love for Karaoke. I have had numerous parties at my house that were a raging success and I really think I have a passion and a nack for the fun of it. I am not afraid to get up and sing should there be a laul and I am good at getting people to sing when they say they won't. This is not my main support so it would be a side job and my son will be my back up. I am going to purchase a speaker, mixer, amplifier system. I am looking at the Yamaha System. Do you bring your own monitor or rely on your customers (at Parties to have that)? Most bars already have a music system and tv but I am sure that a professional has all there own stuff.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I always have a 19" TV in my van. I had one bar job that I used it. The main TV was hung in the middle of the room. I set up at the back of the room behind the dance floor so I put it at the edge of the dance floor so the people sitting under and in back ot the hanging TV could see it.

Let me clarify something. I never use a stage and my singers sing from everywhere in the bar. No set singing spot, Ever. Now there are places where people like to stand but they don't have to. If they can see a bar TV they can sing. I hook up as many bar TVs as possible.

Most wedding/party halls have no TVs. So you will need at least one TV and a TV stand. I always used a stand on wheels because if some drunk jerk bumps into it, it can roll out of the way instead of falling over. Happened many times.

If I had to use a TV now I would upgrade to a flat screen at least 19". You don't want people to be right on top of a small screen to read it.

There is a problem too. Most people want to see the singers faces and they also want to see the words. So that means 2 TVs one facing the crowd and one for the singers to face the crowd.

Getting people (Friends) to get drunk and sing at your house is different than ENTERTAINING a bar crowd where over half to 3/4 of them won't sing. Notice the word ENTERTAINING. Not just doing what you want to do. Keeping all the nonsingers there and happy is your biggest project.

Old picture tube type TVs need to stay away from the speakers. The heavy magnets will gauss up the screen. (rainbow effect it) I don't think a LCDs has that problem.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Perks are an important part of KJ pay, especially in tough times when everybody - bar, staff, KJ and genpop are all hurting.

First off, drinks. Non-comped drinks can cut into your pay quickly if you're working for $100 and they're $6 each. You can stick to water, bring your own soft drink, or at least demand free cokes, but if you like alcohol, make sure it's in the deal at least somewhat.

Food is important, too, you gotta eat. A meal in the deal is worth $10 easy plus you didn't have to cook it or fetch it, another $10 worth of time you didn't have to spend. 52X20$, that's more than $1000 annual perk right there.

Another perk is free admission if your venue has live entertainment on your off nights. This goes along with the employee discount. Just asking the question, "Is there an employee discount?" while discussing
KJ compenstation can yield the desired result - cheaper eats whenever you want.

Suggestion: When you do go to your venues, try to do a little publicizing - pass around flyers, put up a new poster, shake some hands. The boss'll like that.

Perhaps the biggest perk when you land a venue is your foot in their door. You can then work out percentages for bringing in parties that rent the room and buy food&drinks. Rehearsal dinners for weddings you're DJing, singer birthday parties and college graduations are typical events you can throw your venue's way. Have a percentage in place and that's nice gravy on top of your fee, see?

Tip jars also factors into things. I don't use one, because it can take away from the staff's tips. But if I make a CD for someone I'll collect a few bucks. Tip jars can also backfire if a clubowner uses it to justify lower pay - "Hey, I let you put out a tip jar!" Another reason I don't.

More on this topic to come...
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Hello All,

Fees for the show for a bar for a regular 1 time a week gig are always cheaper then a private party. I've heard some KJ's get as little as $75 for a 4 hour night ... up to $200 or $225.

Private Parties are more ... company parties are even more then that.

Your pricing should be based on what YOU want them to be and not be what your bar dictates them to be.

The way to develop your fees would be develop a USP.

What is a USP you ask? It stands for Unique Selling Proposition.
It is in essenced this:

What is the ONE THING that makes your potential customers want to hire you as opposed to any of the competetors or doing nothing at all.
THAT is what you need to answer.
Jason
Jason Christopher
Free Teleseminar Reveals “How To Earn An Executives Income Hosting Karaoke…Without Having To Work An Executives 70-Hour A Week Schedule” go to www.makemoneywithkaraoke.com now
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Acclaim wrote:Hello All,

Fees for the show for a bar for a regular 1 time a week gig are always cheaper then a private party. I've heard some KJ's get as little as $75 for a 4 hour night ... up to $200 or $225.

Private Parties are more ... company parties are even more then that.

Your pricing should be based on what YOU want them to be and not be what your bar dictates them to be.

The way to develop your fees would be develop a USP.

What is a USP you ask? It stands for Unique Selling Proposition.
It is in essenced this:

What is the ONE THING that makes your potential customers want to hire you as opposed to any of the competetors or doing nothing at all.
THAT is what you need to answer.
Jason
While I agree that this is OK and should be what determines your fee, in the real world where you are surrounded by pirates that suck and they can only charge $75-125 a night just to get work, it's hard to explain to a stupid bar owner how much more valuable you are.

I am worth much more than I actually charge. If I asked what I was really worth I would be sitting in my livingroom every night instead of working.

There is a multi rigger pirate working a job I used to do. He has 3 cheap Fender Passport systems with laptops and illegal hard drives.

His total investment for 3 systems is less than $5000.

I have $50,000 in music only. $5000 will buy you less than half of my one system.
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Bigdog

That's tough it really is. Bar owners are not the sharpest knife in the drawer for sure. But are there other services you can offer the bar owner instead of just Karaoke ? Are there other services that you can offer the bars customers that the pirates can't ? Personality and panache AND some extra little gimmick. Something that sets YOU and the BAR aside from the rest of the cheapies ? Do you offer back of room sales / special bonuses ? special offers ? Coupons ? Special 'theme nights' ?

Again, What is the ONE THING that makes your potential customers want to hire you as opposed to pirates?

Jason
Jason Christopher
Free Teleseminar Reveals “How To Earn An Executives Income Hosting Karaoke…Without Having To Work An Executives 70-Hour A Week Schedule” go to www.makemoneywithkaraoke.com now
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Being the best is what I offer. I have no problem working steady. No local KJ has worked as steady. I just can't get the money I deserve and still work. I'm at the high end of the pay scale for my area. There are bar owners that would never pay my fee. They don't understand how it all works. The old, "you get what you pay for." I won't work for jerks or in dives. I have 5 nights a week and just quit doing 6.

I don't have a web site and stopped paying for advertising years ago.
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Big Dog,

sounds like what you need to do is is three-fold
1) BOR Sales
2) MIST
3) OTHER MARKETS

BOR is Back Of Room Sales--in short it's offering something like a T-Shirt w/ something on it like " I was attacked by the Big Dog at Karaoke" and you sell them. There are a wide variety of things that could be similar.

MIST is Multiple Income Streams Technology--What OTHER ways can you get some income from the bars. Example: Do you have restaurant cooking knowledge? What about if you can consult with each of your restaurants and show them how to increase THEIR income and cut their food expense by 25% ?

OTHER MARKETS--can you branch out and get corporate KJ shows? More private parties? etc..

Jason
Jason Christopher
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

In 17 years of karaoke in at least 100 different bars I have learned one major thing.

EVERY bar owner is a total idiot when it comes to making money. They ALL do stupid things that kill business.

Someone just told me about a brand new bar that just started doing karaoke.

The regular guy wasn't there. The stand in couldn't get the computer running right. Couldn't get the TV hooked up. And the sound was horrible.

How does this build good business?

I can guess why they have that KJ. It has to do with his cheap price. Cheap KJs will usually kill business. Pennywise and dollar foolish.

My interest is quality karaoke. Selling T shirts or trying to give bar owners good advice won't work. At the end of the day the bar owner will still be an idiot.

Some KJs have a lot of balls. Most couldn't carry my lunch. They are not in my league and never will be. As long as there are lower class KJs working for peanuts my rate will have to be lowered to stay competative and working.

Bar owner education class is what is needed. But how many bar owners are going to listen to a KJ that has more hours working in bars than they do? I'm just a KJ. Not a bar owner. But I have seen every stupid bar owner mistake ever made. And they all do the same ones. They must have a failure manual that comes with the liquor lisence. Their stupidity makes me sick and frustrated.

They want the KJ to perform miracles and build them an instant crowd. Then they do stupid things that work against everything I do.

All of my competition has seen and heard my system and watched me work.

NOT ONE HAS DUPLICATED ME. They all know where I am in the karaoke pyramid. They are all under me. If I wanted to be as good as me and make as much money as me, I would try to do everything exactly the same. Nobody wants to spend the money or the time. So I have no worries about anyone taking me off the throne. They are all too cheap.

I have made suggestions to many bar owners over the years. I may as well be talking to my cat. It doesn't listen either.

Bar owners will always listen to and cater to the guy buying the dollar beer before they listen to the guy that could make them thousands of dollars, consistantly.

I give up trying to teach old stupid dogs new tricks. It doesn't work.

I had a KJ I replaced tell me tonight he is done doing karaoke in bars. I know why....because he can't because he sucks. His new idea is doing Name that Tune. He claims it pays more for less hours of work.

He is a DJ that added karaoke to his game. Typical when a DJ can't work steady they add karaoke and have to charge less because they can't get a karaoke crowd built. Loser DJ becomes a loser KJ. Seen it happen many times.

I do what I can to build a crowd. Bar owners work against me. So I take the money I can get. I quit arguing about hockey games that take priority over karaoke. I still get my full money so they can do whatever they want.

If they want to limit their income potential from me sitting idle while they let 5 buddies watch the game...so be it. I get my cut. Theirs will be the slice that gets wasted.

Stupid bar owner ideas are a dime a dozen. I have seen many bars fail, and I will see many more. Just like cheap KJs. They come and go on the breeze.
DJ Dave

Post by DJ Dave »

Bigdog u need to relax. I'm the outsider looking in and to me,(my opinion) your very negative on issues that only suggest success. Don't take me wrong, you have good points but for every negative there is a positive. I always have said the right approach will get you everything you want. You must sell yourself and your expierence. Arrogance plays into unemployment. I know I'm good at what I do,BUT there is also better out there ,KJ, DJ, singer/musician? Comunication with a positive approach sets a medium for a payscale should be the standard of success. Ex: Mr. Bar owner I know you have KJ's that your paying x amount, but the reason I charge more is???
DJ Dave

Post by DJ Dave »

Entertainment? You must be able to make friends with your audience.
Remember its your show and you can either make it or break it. Now I'm not a know it all and there is time to be constructive and its ok to say I'm the best and nobody is going to top me at what I do. Thats Great!!! Talking down other industry trade is out of bounds. I'm just starting in the KJ business and I know if your not a people person and beable to entertain your not going to make it. Everbody is not stupid or even a looser. Be open for suggestions and create a value. Being constructive, thanks for reading. Bye now.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Dave, with literally no karaoke experience under your belt, you have a lot to learn. DJing and Karaoke are worlds apart.

If it was the same thing, we all would already be doing it. What it takes to make a good DJ is totally different than being a good KJ.

After you have lost what you thought was a good karaoke job to a KJ that charges half of what you do, then we can talk. It has happened to me many times and will again. Bar owners are all stupid. They have it all in a How to Kill your Bar Business Handbook. Just because you may be the best DJ within 100 miles doesn't give you any KJ/karaoke experience.

I'm not saying they are different to hear myself talk. I am not a good DJ. I don't pretend to be and I am not trying to be. I don't want to be. I hate DJing. I love KJing and promoting quality karaoke. That is my secret to my success. All the area KJs know who is the best. They are happy to fall in under me. Or they think they are better and don't try to improve. I know my competition. I hear all the singers complain about them and why. They are the reason I can't get my worth. Too many under developed wannabe KJs are saturating my market area. If you are the only ballgame in town you may get your price. If not good luck. I have replaced many KJs and charged more to do it. I have never undercut a KJ to get a/their job.

There are KJs and then there are wannbe KJs with cheap equipment and a I'm getting paid to party attitude. They usually suck and end up quitting. I can name many many quitter KJs. Couldn't get work, couldn't build crowds and thought they were going to put me out of business.

There are not many around with my experience and knowledge about running quality karaoke shows.

I don't know if it is the same with DJs, but for karaoke it's as cut throat as any business or more. I didn't get hired once because the next guy was $5 less per night. :shock: :roll: The bar owner actually told me that. Bar owners think if I can keep $5 in my pocket with a cheap KJ I'll make more money. You have a lot to learn about bar owners and karaoke. Especially if you want to get jobs and keep working as a KJ.

Never trust another KJ that could take your job..

The nicer the place/job, the bigger the crowd is the more KJs that want to take it from you by any means possible. They will back stab and front stab you.

The karaoke industry is taking itself down with cheap wannabe KJs. They are keeping our fees lower than they should be. Get into the real karaoke world and experience everything I'm talking about....You'll see. That goes from all the STUPID bar owners to all the wannabe KJs.

DJing isn't in our ballgame. That experience isn't worth much in the karaoke world. The singers are completely in charge of the musical selection...not you. If you let them the singers will run the show. Many will try to hi-jack the show to be what they want it to be. You need to figure out how to maintain control of a show that you will not pick each and every song all night long. They do remember that.

DJs are in control of every aspect of their DJ show from the lights to the sound and the music. That makes you the king pin. With karaoke you are the master of ceremonies and the sound man and song request player. The singers will determine if the crowd stays entertained or not. Your input will be very limited. If the show starts going south because of too many country songs or love songs or bad singers...what and how do you compensate. Most KJs will play some dance music.

I play 100% karaoke music and every song is sung by someone all night long. No filler music between singers and no dance sets. All continuous karaoke music for 4 straight hours. Most KJs can't comprehend that. 99% can't do it.
DJ Dave

Post by DJ Dave »

Bigdog I agree I have alot to learn. In our area KJ's and Dj's are 50/50. Bars and clubs play rotation only unless you can't make the grade for them($$$). we have no establishment that employs a fulltime house KJ or DJ which sucks ,but 50 minutes away in the Pittsburgh area they do. That would be a hard market to get into.
Your definitely right about backstabing. I know your being constuctive with me, but I'm still going to give it try and your input I feel will help me or break me. Again communication is what its all about. Thanks again, will talk 2 ya later. Bye now.