Karaoke KOPS.

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!

Do you think you or your local competition will ever be visited by the Karaoke Kops?

Yes
11%
No
44%
Maybe
44%

Total votes: 9

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

What is a "non-moving" hard drive?

Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sabrina59 wrote:What is a "non-moving" hard drive?
There is no such thing as a non-moving hard drive. They are mechanical devices and therefore prone to several forms of failure. Their data can be easily erased and they are subject to damage from computer viruses. They are suitable for short term storage only.

CD media (if stored correctly) is subject to age related degradation only. And it's very easy and inexpensive to make copies of them to ensure fresh and up to date backups.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Are you suggesting, wiseguy, that we back up our CD's every few years?

Also, do you really think SC is going to be successful in their attempt to make us all go back to discs? Even when I was using discs I wasn't taking my originals with me.
Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sabrina59 wrote:Are you suggesting, wiseguy, that we back up our CD's every few years?

Also, do you really think SC is going to be successful in their attempt to make us all go back to discs? Even when I was using discs I wasn't taking my originals with me.
Not your CDs themselves but the digital song tracks that were ripped from them should be backed up regularly. So when your hard drive crashes, and it will crash eventually, you can easily transfer your files to a new hard drive. Most of us carry a backup hard drive that contains all the music. But if you are forced to use this hard drive you are now playing with the only copy of your song collection.

And no, I don't think that Sound Choice nor anyone else will force us to go back to using discs. This is just a likely scenario that could occur if they were successful in making all bar owners believe that they would be held responsible if they employ a KJ that uses pirated music.

You have to look at the history of Sound Choice. First they told us that it was illegal to make backups of your karaoke discs. When that didn't work they told us that format shifting was illegal. Well now since they had to back off on that they want to send out letters to bar owners that more or less say that they will be held responsible if the KJ they hire is using illegally obtained karaoke songs.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Thank you for the clarification, wiseguy. I actually have my collection backed up in four locations: two external hard drives and two computers (although now that I have the second HD I'm going to drop on of the computers). Interestingly enough, it is not on the computer I use for my show. I use one of the externals for that.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

With about 1500 discs. Backing them up over and over to other discs makes no sense. We are talking about many, many hours of work.

I'm using a computer now that has no moving hard drive. It's a memory unit. Or whatever they call it.

Sure they are subject to viruses. But you don't have the back up hooked to anything. It's laying on a shelf. In two hours or less a hard drive can be duped. Less work and cheaper than 1500 premimum discs.

If I have 20 back up hard drives and only use one for shows...what's difference. Storage space for those 1500 discs is big. In the space I have my discs now I could put 500 hard drives. :shock:

A hard drive is magnetic. That means no aluminum to oxidize.

What is there to deteriorate in a flash drive?

Ipods seem to becoming more popular and bigger everyday. Nobody is carrying a compact disc player anymore. NON MOVING hard drives is the future. Soon you will be unable to but CD blanks. They will stop making them because nobody will be using them.

dinasours......cavemen......stones.....papyrus.....wax.....parchment....

troubadors...town criers....newspapers...telegraph....telephone....

tell-a-woman...radio...Vinyl records.....analog TV.....Reel-to-reels...

ELVIS...8 Tracks.....Cable TV.....Cassttes...Betas.....VCRs.....MTV...

Cell phones.....floppy discs....zip drives...Cds...Laser discs....

DVDs...flash drives...Reality TV...Digital TV.....HDTV......Tivo....

music downloads....ipods....

A black President...the future.... :arrow:

not going backwards :roll:

Very soon CD will be another forgotten media.... :cry:

Remember when all the music was to be on DVDs?? That died because the recording companies didn't want to do a video for every song on an album. It would have made the albums too expensive.

Are music videos as popular now???
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

With about 1500 discs. Backing them up over and over to other discs makes no sense. We are talking about many, many hours of work.
Take those 1500 original discs, pack them away in a safe place, and forget about them. Their purpose now is solely "proof of purchase". You need only back up your digitalized collection. You can fit approximately 1000 songs on a DVD. And they DO make DVD-R discs that will last over 50 years so there is no need to backup over and over. They're classified as archival grade like the Verbatim UltraLife Gold. And they do not cost a fortune.
I'm using a computer now that has no moving hard drive. It's a memory unit. Or whatever they call it.

Ok, I have to know what computer this is that uses a hard drive with no moving parts. What is the capacity of the hard drive?
A hard drive is magnetic. That means no aluminum to oxidize.
The data storing surface of a hard drive is metal. Of course it can oxidize. They also have a motor and moving parts that are affected my moisture and will definitely deteriorate over time. Hard drives do not have near the shelf life of archival grade discs. It's fact.

What is there to deteriorate in a flash drive?
Flash drive technology will some day replace the mechanical hard drive and may prove to be the answer to long term data storage. But at this time they are too unstable.

Ipods seem to becoming more popular and bigger everyday. Nobody is carrying a compact disc player anymore. NON MOVING hard drives is the future. Soon you will be unable to but CD blanks. They will stop making them because nobody will be using them.
You know, they still make cassette tapes so I don't think compact discs are going anywhere any time soon.
Remember when all the music was to be on DVDs?? That died because the recording companies didn't want to do a video for every song on an album. It would have made the albums too expensive.
Personally, I'm glad they're gone. I hated those ridiculous videos. Besides, file size makes video karaoke unpractical for digital karaoke systems.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_disk

http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/SSD.htm

I use an HP mini laptop.

It has a 16 gig drive. It's not big but it does what I need. Soon the technology will be bigger.

It's the future of mass storage.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_ ... e_s_demise

Now we can add film to the list of things going away....digital.. :arrow:
KJ_LOCO

Post by KJ_LOCO »

WoW
zor

Post by zor »

Karaoke Kops? Is there such a thing?

What would be the procedure to find illegal karaoke music? Wouldn't you need some form of official paperwork to search my hard drive, like a warrant.

I haven't heard of anyone who has had their hard drive checked by someone in an official manner.

I would like to know if there is someone out there who has had their library checked, and if so, how it went down.

I do understand that you can be sued for just about anything, is there a KJ out there that has been sued, or a bar owner?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Yes there are a few out there that have been sued in Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Arizona etc. Most have settled with Sound Choice.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:
There is no such thing as a non-moving hard drive. They are mechanical devices and therefore prone to several forms of failure. Their data can be easily erased and they are subject to damage from computer viruses. They are suitable for short term storage only.
Actually Wiseguy, for no other reason than to be pedantic, there ARE, in fact, non moving hard drives.

These as I'm sure you know, are designated as Solid State Drives (SSD's) and are becoming more and more common. They are basically supersized Flash Drives.

Unfortunately for Bigdog, they are not the "magically" invulnerable devices he seems to believe they are.

They are subject to that most insidious of Flash Drive issues and that is the finite number of write cycles that each memory "node" can handle.

Eventually, the memory location on the drive will cease to allow data to be written to it and will fail.

There is no magic formula to determine when or if this will happen and data you have just written to the drive may "disappear" for no obvious reason

This, apparently, is why the expected explosion in use of SSD's hasn't happened yet. In critical applications, I fear it will be some time before built in reduncancy measures will make them reliable enough for general use and built in controller firmware will need to be able to flag any error issues with memory cells in order that measures can be taken to ensure data preservation.

To be fair, I have my Karaoke files on an external drive but this is an ordinary type and I have two other complete copies as backup.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
wiseguy wrote:
Actually Wiseguy, for no other reason than to be pedantic, there ARE, in fact, non moving hard drives.

These as I'm sure you know, are designated as Solid State Drives (SSD's) and are becoming more and more common. They are basically supersized Flash Drives.

Unfortunately for Bigdog, they are not the "magically" invulnerable devices he seems to believe they are.

They are subject to that most insidious of Flash Drive issues and that is the finite number of write cycles that each memory "node" can handle.

Eventually, the memory location on the drive will cease to allow data to be written to it and will fail.

There is no magic formula to determine when or if this will happen and data you have just written to the drive may "disappear" for no obvious reason

This, apparently, is why the expected explosion in use of SSD's hasn't happened yet. In critical applications, I fear it will be some time before built in reduncancy measures will make them reliable enough for general use and built in controller firmware will need to be able to flag any error issues with memory cells in order that measures can be taken to ensure data preservation.

To be fair, I have my Karaoke files on an external drive but this is an ordinary type and I have two other complete copies as backup.

Sandy
I'll stand by original. statement. A "hard drive" also referred to as a "hard disk drive" by definition is a non-volatile storage device for digital data that features one or more rotating rigid platters on a motor-driven spindle within a metal case.

The "supersized Flash Drives" you refer to are not considered hard drives.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I'll stand by original. statement. A "hard drive" also referred to as a "hard disk drive" by definition is a non-volatile storage device for digital data that features one or more rotating rigid platters on a motor-driven spindle within a metal case.

The "supersized Flash Drives" you refer to are not considered hard drives.

I'm sorry Wiseguy, that is simply splitting hairs. An SSD is by any other name a hard drive. It simply doesn't conform to your perceived expectation of it's working method.

It has an identical interface to a "hard" drive, it does the same job and to all intent and purpose, it is identical.

Sandy :roll: