Karaoke KOPS.

You know you have an opinion. Express it here!

Do you think you or your local competition will ever be visited by the Karaoke Kops?

Yes
11%
No
44%
Maybe
44%

Total votes: 9

Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If it was a prostitute would you spend the time to check her out??? :lol: How many times??? :oops: :cigar:

If Sound Choice/lawyers would send out a registered Cease and Desist letter to every bar owner...what would you check on?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:If Sound Choice/lawyers would send out a registered Cease and Desist letter to every bar owner...what would you check on?
They would have to furnish absolute proof of illegal activity or I would tell them where to shove the Cease and Desist letter. Lawyers do not make laws and have no authority. No judge will pay them any attention without sufficient evidence that an illegal act has been committed. Are you really that afraid of lawyers? I'm not.

The bottom line is that if bar owners were made to insure the absolute legitimacy of any computerized KJ they hire, karaoke in general would suffer greatly. Most bar owners would not want to spend the time and energy required to do this. If you want to work you better plan on going back to using discs, and the originals, not the backups.

But then this is what Sound Choice has wanted all along. :)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm not going back to discs, EVER. :shock:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

in 16 years I have worked in many bars that had illegal poker machines in them.

Under certain circumstances bars can be raided and pad locked. Which means my equipment could have been part of the impound. Making me an innocent victim. I'm not sure what I would have had to do to get my stuff and how long the process would take.

Sound Choice is making it sound like the bar owners will not be treated as innocent.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Sound Choice is making it sound like the bar owners will not be treated as innocent.
They would love this to be true. Just like the format shifting farce. They have shown that they will say anything to try and swing things in their favor. But they better be careful how far they go or they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

I know that they're fighting a losing battle against piracy, and it sucks, but getting bar owners involved isn't going to help anyone.
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

The bar owners are NOT responsible for copyright violations by a KJ, just as a KJ is NOT responsible for the licensing violations (failure to pay BMI/ASCAP fees) of the bar owner.

Sound Choice is trying the same flim-flam con the deli owner tried to pull on Sabrina. If the bar owners tell Sound Choice et al. to pound sand, there's nothing SC can do except try to figure out a way to get probable cause for searching a KJ's residence without resorting to blatant falsehoods.

Although the Federal Government has worked hard for the last 30 years to eradicate them, we still have a few civil rights left.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Let's say the KJ gets busted for his illegal songs. They visit the bar and check his hard drive. And force him to prove he has the original discs, which he doesn't. Now the bar owner has a choice to make.

Now the bar owner knows for sure, not maybe.

What's he gonna do? Keep the KJ?

If the KJ still works after that....or fire him?

Do you think the bar owner is going to be a happy camper after he finds out the postition the KJ put him in? If the bar owner gets dragged to court?

If you were the bar owner and they found you guilty and you had to pay some rediculous amount of money, would you turn around and sue the KJ?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:
Bigdog wrote:If Sound Choice/lawyers would send out a registered Cease and Desist letter to every bar owner...what would you check on?
If the letter said you will be considered an accomplice to music piracy subject to fines and or imprisonment for employing an illegal KJ. Would you inspect his wares?

What do you think this is...Don't ask, don't tell?

I watched a lot of Judge Judy and being STUPID was never a viable defense.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Let's say the KJ gets busted for his illegal songs. They visit the bar and check his hard drive. And force him to prove he has the original discs, which he doesn't. Now the bar owner has a choice to make.

Now the bar owner knows for sure, not maybe.

What's he gonna do? Keep the KJ?

If the KJ still works after that....or fire him?
No decision to make as this KJ will be out of business with all his music and equipment confiscated.
If the letter said you will be considered an accomplice to music piracy subject to fines and or imprisonment for employing an illegal KJ. Would you inspect his wares?
Not without proof. Saying something doesn't make it fact. They could send a letter like this to every bar in the country. Should every bar owner that hires karaoke investigate the KJ?

What if I would send a legal looking letter to all of the bars you do stating that I think you are using pirated music and the bar owner will be considered an accomplice to music piracy subject to fines and or imprisonment for employing an illegal KJ.? Should this give the bar owners reason to suspend your employment until they can check out your entire collection. Or possibly just fire you to save the hassle?

Lawyer letters are just that... letters. You cannot allow yourself to be manipulated by this type of thing.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What if I would send a legal looking letter to all of the bars you do stating that I think you are using pirated music and the bar owner will be considered an accomplice to music piracy subject to fines and or imprisonment for employing an illegal KJ.?

What if the multi-riggers got an official looking letter that stated the legal impications. Would they back off and possibly start using one rig?
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

wiseguy wrote:[If you want to work you better plan on going back to using discs, and the originals, not the backups.

But then this is what Sound Choice has wanted all along. :)
Do you really think it will come to this?
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I believe the CD as we know it will soon be as gone as 8 tracks.

They originally said CDs would last 50 years.... :lol:

Many of my Sound Choice discs didn't last 5 years before the foil oxidized and they look like swiss cheese.

Not many companies still make cd players.

I POD. non moving hard drives.

That's the future...not STUPID cds.

Cave men would have loved cds.

I'm not going back.

That's the reason I but a disc and immeadiately rip it to a hard drive. Then it can oxidize all it wants.

The only way a cd will ever last is if the foil is made of gold. Which they could do but who would want to pay for it?

The CDs are doomed to failure from the very first step in the manufacturing process.

The aluminum would have to be cooked (melted,) poured and rolled in a total vacuum to keep the impurities out of it. That will never happen..too expensive. And they wouldn't think it neccessary. So they will all eventually oxidize and become worthless. So technically, every cd you have should be ripped to a hard drive and have a back up of that.

Protect your investment from becoming useless before it's too late.

If you still use discs and don't put them on a hard drive, they won't be around long and neither will your business.

You'll keep losing music until you have none to play.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Sound Choice is making it sound like the bar owners will not be treated as innocent.
They would love this to be true. Just like the format shifting farce. They have shown that they will say anything to try and swing things in their favor. But they better be careful how far they go or they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

I know that they're fighting a losing battle against piracy, and it sucks, but getting bar owners involved isn't going to help anyone.
Excaclty because if every barowner believed these letters then they wouldn't hire any karaoke for fear that they might get sued or worse face criminal charges and that is not gonna happen.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

That's the reason I but a disc and immeadiately rip it to a hard drive. Then it can oxidize all it wants.

The only way a cd will ever last is if the foil is made of gold. Which they could do but who would want to pay for it?

The CDs are doomed to failure from the very first step in the manufacturing process.

Actually, high quality compact discs are much more stable than any hard drive. Premium CD-R and DVD-R media, like some of those manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, can safely archive data for at least 50 years if stored properly. Even the best hard drive has an average life of five years and magnetic media is never recommended for long term storage.

If you want to preserve your music collection you are best off to store it on premium CD-R or DVD-R media.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Premium...only means they charge more.

If the aluminum was not totally conceived in a vacuum...premium means nothing to the longevity. Unless the foil is gold. Which would last forever.

Even if the aluminum is sealed on both sides with plastic, the impurities are already sealed in with it. Oxidation will (is already) happen. It may be slowed some but...sooner or later. I highly doubt 50 years. :roll:

I would say a non moving hard drive would be better. (BEST)