Tip jar?

How would you handle these situations?
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You want folks to give you worms for tips?!?! Ew!

I know you put worms in a bait box, silly goose!

Sabrina the Cat
stormy

Post by stormy »

Sabrina59, very well put....the explanation that is. And happy fishing Bigdog. :wink:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Thank you, stormy, and welcome aboard.

I'll let you in on a little secret ... the Dog's bark is much worse than his bite. :o
Sabrina the Cat
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Hello All,

I never did a tip jar. BUT I will ACCEPT a tip if someone offers it as a good service. I will NEVER accept a tip to put someone in line next.

Now, at the end of the night IF the bar CAN stay open (and some of them can .. some can't) if there are more singers but my time is up.

I will PASS THE HAT if the singers want to keep me over time. It's understood that that if you pass the hat there is still a chance that your song will not come up.

If i get extra money, I stay. If not , I pack up.

Jason
Jason Christopher
Free Teleseminar Reveals “How To Earn An Executives Income Hosting Karaoke…Without Having To Work An Executives 70-Hour A Week Schedule” go to www.makemoneywithkaraoke.com now
djBe

Post by djBe »

Haven't added to this thread in a year, but in that year I have not put out a tip jar. My tips have been averaging about $20 a month with out one. Now I am leaning toward putting out a SONG FUND jar, for both tips and song suggestion slips. it costs at least $50-60 a month to update karaoke music effectively, which a the SONG FUND jar wold cover. What would you think of that?
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have had singers offer to buy or split the cost of buying a song for them. I decline. Especially if they are a regular customer.

I feel me paying for discs is part of doing business. One more issue. I edit my song book. Now if they want to pay for a song that I don't want, I'm screwed. If I pay for the song...I wasn't able to find it. :wink: End of problem.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Well all these months later i am still on the fence about tip jars and haven't yet put one out. The comments on both sides are excellent so i guess its a personal choice. i cant help thnking that if the clubowner perceives i am making a killing with tips maybe he can lower my pay lol. i also have a perception, perhaps wrongly so, that the KJs most likely to put out tip jars are the undercutters, who have to put them out to make any money on their 50 and 60 dollar shows. Maybe that's what keeps me from not putting one out yet.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If the owner saw you making big tips...he might want to lower your pay and use the tips to make up the difference. So he would actually be paying you less money per hour. Should the singers really be paying for your services? Their drink and food bills pay part of that indirectly. Tips would be them paying you directly.

But if you went home with the amount of money you normally charge does it really matter?

The only thing for me is...people would expect favors for their tip. That's a problem.