First Private Show

How would you handle these situations?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

#3 I set up in the bus parking lot of a Jimmy Buffet concert. People rented a big bus to tailgate from. Right after setting up there was the biggest downpour of rain I have ever been in. People were climbing on the bus to drape a tarp over my equipment. The lightning was crashing all around us. Everyone got totally drenched and one of my laser players got wet. I had to replace a $1000 player for a $200 party. :shock:

That party was definately not worth doing. Not including the 130 mile round trip. The guy did give me an extra $100 because of the water damage. But it still cost ME $700 to do the party. And I bought some music laser discs special for the party. This was when I was just starting out. I learned pretty fast about being under some type of roof when I play outside. No roof, no play.

#4 I did a church fair. Set up in the paved parking lot. 2 gilrs were singing a song and right in the middle of the song they started laughing and quit singing. They dropped my 2-$600 microphones right on the pavement and walked away. :evil: I literally wanted to beat the living crap out of them. That wasn't bad enough. A big storm blew in and one of my disc books fell on the ground and it got filled with real fine dirt particles that scratched most of the discs. Nearly ruined my entire DK set.

Private parties have not been very good to me. My top speakers got wet at one party and the wood started to swell out of shape. To this day it's warped.

#5 I had to walk 100 feet through a warehouse, go down the elevator and go about 100 more feet to where I had to set up. It took 8-9 trips. With 800 pounds plus a TV and TV stand.

#6 The party was on a big tug boat in the river converted into a bar. From the parking lot I had to go down a 50 foot gang plank. Go up a set of circular steps and walk 100 feet to the back of the boat with 800 pounds of equipment. And at the end of the night the bar owner had some of his people carry out my equipment. They laid it on the ground all around the van. The problem is I can't dead lift 90% of the equipment without help. This guy wanted me to take this job steady every week. I told him no way.

#7 I kept getting calls from another bar that was down a big flight of steps. They wanted me steady every week. I turned them down too. These last 2 jobs I turned down in the same month. That was $1200 worth of jobs a month. A lot of money about 10 years ago. I don't do steps for any amount of money.