Has SC Finally Gone The Way of CB?

Discuss any legal issues pertaining to karaoke.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Same company players ..just a different name....wouldn't a judge see through the smoke and mirrors and see this a just a ploy to dodge there legal problems?

Crap business model.... Sleppy sounds like a con man from day one.

The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) It is my belief that the demise of SC is near. Why else would they have to move all the assets to a LLC? CB did the same thing when they tried to avoid paying the CAVS suit. They were also looking a legal suits that were going to be filed against them by publishers. I find it very amusing the two manus who were trying to hold hosts accountable, themselves have accountability problems. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The thing that really pisses me off is...we bought these songs in good faith believing the songs were legal for use to buy. So we have been deceived and lied to. These guys perpetrated a fraud on all of their customers....technically putting all of us in a legal bind.
The Lone Ranger

8) You see Bigdog as long as the manus were making big bucks selling their product, they really didn't care how it was being used. Then when the piracy started cutting into their bottom line they decided to do something about it. They couldn't go after the home user abuser, which is where most of the piracy occurred. The hosts on the other hand are out in public and an easy target. The manus say that the material was never supposed to be used for commercial purposes.

The way they are interpreting the law means to provide a service. When before what is was really supposed cover is someone, making actual discs and passing them off as the real thing. Thus causing confusion in the market place. That was the way the law originally was supposed to be. What host is making exact copies of discs and passing them off as SC or CB?
The Lone Ranger

8) I just saw that Jim has posted on KS forum the new certification program that will be offered online by Phoenix for the SC product. It will be in effect until May 16th depending on the response as to if it will be continued. The price is 150.00 dollars for certification and there will not be an annual renewal fee necessary.

It would seem to me that SC is pretty much finished as far as the company is concerned. That Phoenix has taken over all that remained of the company. I just wonder if this was brought about by the pending legal issues surrounding the EMI suit? That the suit will bankrupt SC and this was a way to save whatever assets of the old company are left? I just wonder how the suit when it is settled will effect the GEM license holders? Will they be forced to turn in their licensed product and have to take the cost as a loss? If they have already earned more than the cost of GEM then I guess that would just be a moot point? One thing is for sure as far as commercial use of karaoke material is concerned no host can really state that they own their product, simply by the fact they purchased it, even if they do have all the paper work.
The Lone Ranger

Re: Has SC Finally Gone The Way of CB?

8) Well it looks like EMI is suing not only SC but the new Phoenix LLC, as well.

EMI Feist Catalog Inc. et al V Slep-Tone

Sorry on this one can't get the link to come up. You will have to look under the above series of names to come to the legal filing page. This suit lists a dozen or so EMI companies suing the defendants, SC, the Slep Brothers and Phoenix LLC. I guess forming the new LLC won't save them from getting sued after all. Jim SC's attorney says the only reason EMI is suing is for the insurance carried by the defendants. EMI is seeking 25 million dollars. That should sound the death knell for SC and Phoenix. They are also demanding the GEM series which were licensed to be turned in, since they were illegally produced in the first place. I guess what come around goes around. This suit was filed back on March the 19th.