Asian karaoke lounge - licensing question

Discuss any legal issues pertaining to karaoke.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
rustcat

Asian karaoke lounge - licensing question

Post by rustcat »

Hello,

I'd like to open a small karaoke lounge for Asian music lovers in the US. The tracks are hosted via the Internet ("cloud") by an overseas provider. They produce the tracks and there are no downloads involved. I pay a monthly access/subscription fee to use their online player for the tracks and on-screen lyrics which I will hookup to a TV and PA system. There will not be an active KJ hosting the sessions - each room will have its own IPAD or laptop with internet for customers to load the tracks and sing. Keeping it as simple as possible.

This will be a stand-alone karaoke establishment without food and alcohol (but it will be BYOB) - this helps me avoid expensive liquor licenses, liability insurance, etc.

Any guidance re/ licensing requirements and fees to BMI, ASCAP and anyone else would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Paradigm Karaoke

Re: Asian karaoke lounge - licensing question

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

yes, you need to pay ASCAP, SESAC, and BMI for this. the company providing the content pays the karaoke manufacturers (provided they are ALL overseas providers and not Sound Choice, Chartbusters, Pop Hits Monthly, All Star, Party Tyme) but the music rights holders in the U.S. want their cut. this is what the "alphabet" group covers.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Asian karaoke lounge - licensing question

Post by wiseguy »

I'm not too sure about that. Organizations like ASCAP and BMI collect royalties for the songwriters, composers and music publishers that they represent. If they don't represent the copyright holders of any of the Asian music I don't see how they can expect to collect any fees.