Starting Karaoke business for local Bars and Need Some Help!

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
wolffen5066

Starting Karaoke business for local Bars and Need Some Help!

Post by wolffen5066 »

I am so confused looking at all the different equipment on Ebay, KaraokeWarehouse and cheapKaraoke.com. I do not know which system to choose ?? this is a new venture for me and this will be at different locations through the week so I kind of need something Portable but strong . There is either Laptop Karaoke with powered speakers and maybe a mixing board or they have Karaoke Juckboxes that say can hold up to 100,000 songs etc,, I just need an opinion from someone on which is the best option to go with. I need a complete Package and something that is not that difficult to get started with!! Thanks

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The biggest mistake every dead KJ makes is...How cheap can I do karaoke.

The cheaper you do it the faster your business will die.

My best advice is to buy a real PA system.

Nobody goes to karaoke shows that suck. (Sound System wise)

The entertainment dollars are drying up with the bad economy. Even when we get crowds that look big they aren't spending like they used to.

If gasoline hits the $5 or more they predict for summer....you'll be doing karaoke shows in your living room.... by yourself.... for free.... :lol:

Unless you plan on out doing all your competition by having the baddest show in town....you might want to reconsider...for now.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wolffen5066

Post by wolffen5066 »

Price is not the Problem. I have been saving for a long time now! I am just interested in knowing what system to buy? Should I use a Karaoke Laptop and Speaker Setup etc.. or Is it better going with one of these new Neo-Cd-g type of players?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wolffen5066 wrote:Price is not the Problem. I have been saving for a long time now! I am just interested in knowing what system to buy? Should I use a Karaoke Laptop and Speaker Setup etc.. or Is it better going with one of these new Neo-Cd-g type of players?
Hi there.
Bigdog is of the opinion that you MUST throw big bucks at Karaoke in order to get a good system and here we simply do not agree.

It is perfectly possible to put a system together without breaking the bank and have it sound excellent.

I'd stick to your plan of laptop or PC based kit with powered speakers.

You could certainly go for Neo+G and get up to 400 tracks per DVD but you are tied down to one particular type of disc.

Computer is more versatile.

Best of luck,

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

#1...having quality equipment has it's rewards.

I'll compare my karaoke income to anyones and my expensive system has paid back very big rewards. With big pay and steady work.

Cheap sounding systems play for cheap money.

When I say cheap system....

If you think you can buy the cheapest laptop and speakers and microphones and mixers and expect to have a quality sound...you're goofy.

Every KJ in my area knows who has the best sound. Not one has cared enough about their sound to try to match or exceed my system.

I can't count how many local KJs have gone out of business because they couldn't compete.

They now are trying "Name That Tune" and pay to sing money giveaways as a means to get crowds.....everything but actual karaoke.

Now you have a choice.....you have to be as good or better than your competition to survive in todays economy.

it's that simple.

and you can't do it cheap....

Every KJ on this borad can point to their cheap hardly working competition....

I'm not saying the cheap sounding KJs don't get work...they do....but they don't get paid what I get.

So do you want your time to be friutful or fruity...

If your business plan consistis of...I'll get paid to party...then buy cheap stuff and play for drinks...and small change..

Go big or go home.

Ask KJs why they can't get work.....they think it's every reason but cheap sounding equipment...all the KJs in my area can't hear....so why would sound matter...

They can hear but they won't admit they need to make any changes especially if it involves an equipment upgrade.

It' good enough for karaoke attitude....still sucks and doesn't pay.

Run with the Bigdogs or be a porch puppy...

Understand something.....I work full time in a union steelmill...I have always made way more money doing karaoke 5 nights a week ....been that way for 19 years.....so you decide how you want to go...
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) While agree with Bigdog that quality equipment that is top of the line is nice, but not everyone can afford it. When I started in the business many years ago, I was feeling my way along. Since there is no book that will tell you how to be a top DJ/KJ/. You learn by experience, sometimes learning can be expensive. Just remember don't quit your day job, the advice of most band members.

I know a woman who ran a successful wedding planner business. She thought she could save money by doing the DJ/KJ function herself. She invested around $30,000.00 in equipment and discs, before she really tried doing the host job. She found out she didn't like hosting and in the end had to hire a host to run her equipment.

Not everyone is cut out to be a host. There are many skills needed to run a successful hosting service. You must have a knowledge of music, business skills, promotional skills, people skills, and technical skills in order to trouble shoot your equipment. You must have a plan B if plan A fails, and even sometimes a plan C.

A true host has to have what I call the full package, some hosts are better at some aspects than others. You try to do like a football team and play to your strengths and away from your weakness's.
It takes year's to perfect your craft, and to build up your song library and upgrade your equipment. It is not for someone who is looking for instant success, it is a long gradual process.

I worked for the U.S. government for 37 years, between the military and civilian agencies. I retired when I was 57 and hosted until a little over a year ago. I will be 70 in July. I started hosting when I was around 50 part-time. Before I bought any equipment I rented mine to make sure I really wanted to host. You might want to work for someone who has many rigs and get some experience before you make the great leap forward.

When I quit hosting I was working six days a week 10 months out of the year. Making gross about 60K a year, with tips.

P.S. Please remember Not one brand of music, or top equipment will make or break a show. It is how well you use what you have, and how skillful you are. Like they say when you are handed lemons make lemonade.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I agree with Sandy and the Lone Ranger... you don't need to spend a fortune to put together a good sounding system. If you go with trusted brand names you will be fine.

Nobody can tell you that you need to buy a particular amp, mixer, mic, or speaker. You will need to make some decisions based on your unique situation. For the most part this means the average (physical) size of the venues you will perform in and your budget.

Every professional karaoke system consists of an amplifier, mixer, player, microphones, monitor, speakers, and music. These can be in several configurations.

I recommend that you visit the Karaoke at Home section of this website that will explain the various components and options. Although it was created for home users there is virtually no difference between a home karaoke system and a professional one. You will also be able to contact me directly with any specific questions.
The Lone Ranger

8) You a right wiseguy. Sometimes that amplifier gets heavy lugging it around though. Especially when you are getting up in years. Too save the back buying good quality active speakers can be the solution to carrying around a heavy amp. The newer amps are lighter in weight that come with active speakers.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I have nothing against active speakers except that they require both an audio signal feed and a power feed. This can be a nuisance in some setup situations. The modern powered mixers are not heavy like the older ones. Take the Yamaha EMX512SC for example that weighs just 22 pounds.
The Lone Ranger

[quote="wiseguy"]I have nothing against active speakers except that they require both an audio signal feed and a power feed. This can be a nuisance in some setup situations. The modern powered mixers are not heavy like the older ones. Take the [url=http://www.zzounds.com/a--484599/item--YAMEMX512SC]Yamaha EMX512SC[/url] for example that weighs just 22 pounds.[/quote]

8) As far as the power feeds are concerned all you have to do is put a Cyber Power CPS-121RMs Rackmount PDU Power/Surge Strip-12-Putlet 15A 1800 VA 1800 Joules on the rack. This would solve the power connections problem, as long as you have at least one power source. As far as the audio wouldn't that be standard connections on the Yamaha MG124cx? Also with two powered speakers if you are running them mono, if one goes out you still have the other. If your amp goes out which they do you are stuck unless you carry two.

Another advantage to buying active speakers you don't have to guess if the amp is suitable for the speaker, since this was all determined by engineers working for the company producing the speaker.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The power feed problem I was referring to is the fact that you have to run a power feed to each speaker in addition to the audio feed. Passive speakers require only a single speaker cable.

With passive speakers you also still have one if the other goes out... but you're right... if the amp goes out you're done. Then again, if you're running active speakers, and the mixer goes out, your also done.

The best argument for active speakers is the fact that they eliminate the need to match the amp and speakers.
The Lone Ranger

8) That's why I developed a light weight rack system with two mixers in case one should go out. I will say in 19 years I was very lucky I only had two amps go out on me. Never had a problem with a mixer, however. That is why is is very important to maintain equipment and to have a backup plan always. Thanks for you input wiseguy, have a good day. :D :D :D