help with TJMedia TKR-304E with song updates

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
tetsuo73

help with TJMedia TKR-304E with song updates

Post by tetsuo73 »

Hello all, i am hoping someone on the forum can give me help on this unit. I had this unit for about 2 years and it works fine. Till last week I never tried to update the song via their web site. I downloaded their song vol 44 and followed the direction, installed via USB and it worked fine. So i said to self well may as well download 40-43 and install them too.
I download the songs with the same laptop and copied it with the same USB drive but each time I tried to update to the karaoke unit it tells me the USB memory is not connected properly. I said fine I tried another USB and got the same error. Each time I tried the unit rejects the USB drive for vol 40-43. I said what the f! I copy vol 44 back on the USB drive and put that on the karaoke unit just to see what will happen, and it said something around the lines of vol 44 is already installed and to remove the USB drive.
I tried reset the unit, and down load with another laptop with a 3rd USB drive but same error.
I tried searching on the net but could not find any forum regarding my problem. Hope someone can help me. thanks all.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum.

I looked for tjmedia online but the website I found had absolutely no information on either your TKR-304E, not any sign of downloadable music.

Please post the correct URL for your version of tjmedia. Preferably a link to the user manual.

Have you tried contacting tjmedia, directly?

Most companies are very helpful, if asked.

Sandy.
tetsuo73

Post by tetsuo73 »

Hi Sandy,
TJ Media is one of the largest vendor it is based out of South Korea. They had plans to come sell into USA but stop due to copy rights. Over 70% of korean KTV bars use their equipments. Vendors still sell them out of Asian store just not over the net like amazon.

Their main web site is in English but so far i have not received any answer back from them.

Reason i purchased this unit is the fact you can upload songs via the USB and you pay with a smart card that is part of the unit.

here is the link for the owners manual. http://www.tjmedia.co.kr/manual/eng_TKR-304E_manual.pdf

here is the link for the unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/TJ-Media-Korean ... 2c7ebdb289

here is the link for the step they removed the English page, but you can follow the steps by looking at the pics. http://newsong.tjmedia.co.kr/main.aspx on the left links click on the #2 that will bring you to the steps to download songs, put it onto usb, and etc.

thanks
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

HI Testuo73,
I've had a look through the manual and I have to say this is one of the most user unfriendly devices I've ever seen.

Passwords everywhere and smart cards. Dear me!

The maual doesn't actually say what format the downloaded songs are in but if I read the unit description OK, then it seems they are MP3+G as usual.

Your idea of trying to re-install your 44 "disc" is good as the machine is obviously reading the USB port OK as it says those tracks are already installed.

Therefore, there MUST be another reason it won't take "discs" 40 - 43.

The track update procedure is ridiculously complicated plus this smart card certification is beyond me.

What is it certifying?

Anyway, I noticed that there is an automatic boot up update for tracks by inserting the USB BEFORE switching the machine on (see the bottom of page 15 of the downloaded manual).

Have you tried that yet?

Is there any way to delete tracks from the drive?

If so, you could try deleting "disc" 44 that you successfully updated and retry it.

If that works, then I would suggest deleting again and try installing 40 - 44 in numeric sequence.

Let us know how you get on.

Sandy.
tetsuo73

Post by tetsuo73 »

Sandy,
thanks for the help. Yes, i left have the USB in the unit than turning it on and it did nothing, it just booted to the welcome screen after few secs.

The unit is made so you download the new songs disc from their web site, upload it to the unit via USB, than use the smart card which is one time use at $20 per card to certifying the disc before the unit will let you play those songs.

there is no way to delete the disc once it is uploaded.
My next step is hope to find a shop that sells those units and ask them for help.
ame-otoko

Re: help with TJMedia TKR-304E with song updates

Post by ame-otoko »

Not sure if the problem has eventually been solved… but since a lot of TJ media newbies may stumble across this thread via Google, I guess it can help to clarify some things.

About Content Updates:
The TKR-304E comes preinstalled with a certain number of volumes (e.g. up to volume 043). The volumes that have already been installed and certified/activated can be checked in the setting’s content menu, as described in the English language manual (p.26) found here.

@tetsuo73: Now, if you have installed the consecutive update(s), 044 in your case, it was obviously not necessary/possible to install any prior updates, e.g. 044-043… ;)

About Downloading Updates:
Currently 049 is the most recent update volume and can be downloaded from: http://newsong.tjmedia.co.kr/main.aspx
Although the site is in Korean language the menu on the left is pretty self-explanatory once clicked (fourth menu option for updates). Then choose either TKR-304K or TKR-304E, depending on your model, and click the light green button for a separate update window/downloading status to pop-up and download the respective update volume files. (as the site is optimized for Internet Explorer and may not work with other browsers, the download links can be copied from the source code of the pop-up window in case you cannot access them)
The dark green button allows you to download a .pdf file with the updated song list by the way.

About Updating via USB:
The instructions re/ USB stick updates are almost self-explanatory: basically a FAT format USB stick, a folder named tjmedia with the update volume files and preferably no other files/junk on the stick; again the English manual helps (pp. 15-16).
Just insert the USB stick and push the system’s power button. This will initiate the update upon booting the device, which has already been suggested by Sandy, and take you through the necessary steps.
Once the update process is completed (incl. a few system boot/self-check procedures), you will have to certify/activate each update with the separately purchased smart-card. Again, super easy to perform from the settings menu (English manual p. 17)… and to anyone wondering why this is necessary, well, the updates are obviously not for free.

@mnementh: Yeah, there are generally two simple passwords necessary to enter the settings menu (default: 1111) and to initiate updates (default: 0000). The device can be used in B2B environments after all, and you don’t want your fellow customers to mess with it, right? ;)

I hope this clarifies some questions. The system itself is great and up to this day it’s the only consumer focused solution offering high quality/semi-pro content and update capability, offering an ever growing library of songs with crispy clear HDMI Video at 720p, real instruments on the karaoke tracks, various songs with backing vocals performed by pro singers and a huge amount of options to personalize (record/alter/upload…) and enhance (key/tone/tempo/melody/ranking…) the overall karaoke experience. Be assured, this is not your single-color or blurry bitmap BGV karaoke with cheap MIDI tunes.

Granted, TJ Media’s English language support simply does_not_exist. Just as they lack a decent marketing strategy outside South Korea and The Philippines. But don’t blame the karaoke system for their lack of English language support, their lack of proper after-service and online usability of their site, or the slightly shortsighted user manual. Oh, and this bit of criticism should clarify that I am by no means affiliated with that company.
Expert on Japanese and Korean karaoke systems such as DAM, Joysound/UGA, TJ media, KumYoung...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: help with TJMedia TKR-304E with song updates

Post by wiseguy »

Welcome to the forum ame-otoko! You shared some very useful information that I'm sure will prove helpful to many.