Help please jam ka550 box controller

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
lindykick

Help please jam ka550 box controller

Post by lindykick »

Hi I have recently bought a jam ka550 vox vocal controller I have connected it through the aux input to the laptop and output it to an external mixer when I tryed singing on it the sound was distorted and somewhat muffled a really bad quality output can anyone help as to what I am doing wrong thanks

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Quick question. Why in the world are you running the controller through the laptop?
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
lindykick

Post by lindykick »

Why wudnt I use a laptop
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The controller should connect directly to the mixer. I can think of no good reason for it to go through a laptop. What are you using as the player?
lindykick

Post by lindykick »

I am using the laptop as an input device and virtualdj as software I bought the controller because I wanted to add vocal effects to the microphone etc
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Then your setup should be both the laptop and controller connected directly to the mixer on separate channels.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I had to read this a couple of times trying to understand but how you described it in your post sounds OK to me.

I would think you could go from your computer audio out (Headphone Jack) into one of the audio in jacks of the ka550. You would need to connect it this way for the key change of the music to work. The mics would also plug into the KA550 as well to get the effects from them to function. Then one of the outputs from the KA550 into an input on your mixer. Which sounds to me like how you have set it up.
If you use it as wiseguy suggests you would not have use of the vocal partner or key control through it.
Not being familiar with the controller I wonder if there is a Mic setting to lower the signal or whether you have the wrong type of mike plugged into it. I read something like this in the spec:
Microphone High & Low Contour Controls
High & Low Contour 'Mix' & High
Whether that has anything to do with it or you are just outputting the overaul signal too high into your mixer.
I presume your mixer you are connecting to is a powered mixer with its own built in amp otherwise you would go straight to the amp from the KA550 not needing another mixer in-between as the processor is in effect a mixer.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I use a karaoke hosting application and not just DJ software that will play karaoke files. I use the key control feature of the software as it allows me to set it in advance for each singer and is remembered in their singer history. Also, there is no way I would replace a good audio mixer with that vocal controller. For these reasons I would connect the laptop directly to the mixer. I believe that Virtual DJ has a key change feature.

For the vocal effects you simply need to connect the vocal controller to the mixer and run the microphones through it. This is what you typically do with any effects unit.

If this is your home system then I suppose you can get by using Virtual DJ for karaoke. If this is for a professional system and performing gigs I would strongly suggest using a separate hosting program for karaoke.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

What mixer are you using? Most mixers without effects have an effects send and return. if so get n effects unit like an alexis midiverb and run your effects through the send and return.