External Sound Card???

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
KJ1897

External Sound Card???

Post by KJ1897 »

I have always been a diehard disc Karaoke person just started switching over to PC based karaoke I got the Video part worked out a decent lap top I think , But the sound is no comparison to the player with the disc.. I am thinking a External sound card would be the answer?? any suggestions on this.. I am very picky about sound and won't settle for less than Great sound.. Id go back to disc if I had to lack in sound.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

A good dedicated sound card can certainly do a better job than the typical onboard/integrated one. But that is just one element of producing good quality sound. You will also want your audio files to be high quality. Many will say that a person cannot tell the difference between an audio file ripped to mp3 at a 128 bitrate over one at 256. I assure you that those with a discerning ear can often tell the difference. All my karaoke music is ripped to 256 bps and I only buy downloads ripped to at least 256. A good quality encoder also makes a difference. I never use any of the free CDG rippers. I use only Power CD+G Burner to rip CDG discs to MP3+G files.

You can only achieve good sound quality if you take all the elements that create that sound into consideration. The sound is only as good as the weakest link. One thing is for sure. You can get just as good of sound from your computer and karaoke files as you can from discs.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

Thanks for the reply. I do agree about the ripping, I thought we did do it at 256. Now the ones that I got from downloads I thought were the better quality too, but maybe I just assumed they were. I will have to check that out closer. I do have Power CD+G Burner software. I also agree about lots of low quality software out there that don't cut it. I will add when I first started Demo stuff I used my Older Desktop at home which I am sure has a better Sound card in it. I didn't do a lot with it but the few times I did I could have sworn the sound was spot on. I then got a Laptop for convince and start setting stuff up to demo more and that's when I noticed the sound difference, also I am hearing some buzzing noise from laptop on the audio?? I have to investigate yet. This is why I was thinking a Good External Sound Card would make the difference? Not sure what one to get though or where is best place to get one. I could go to my local Staples and get one and try it quick but thought that might be a mistake. I am sure that I could play the CD+G Disc in my Laptop I think I will do that and compare the sound to the ripped file see what happens if its just as bad then it has to be the sound card/Laptop. If it sound great then I will have to re look at the way files were ripped. I would think because it works great in the actual Karaoke Player. Just a thought that popped into my head.
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

Update, I ran the disc in the player and also in the laptop same thing BIG Difference seemed that the same thing happened with the disc that happened with the files the sound was not there. I also figured out the buzz comes from the external monitor being hooked up and yes the sound was shut of to that monitor feed. but even un hooking the monitor the sound just is not there so if I am thinking right an external Sound card would probably be the way to go ???
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I personally only use an external sound card for headphone monitoring I use my on board sound card for my audio out but I know a few people that really recommend "Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface" here is a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Alpha-S ... B000HVXMNE

However before you invest in something like this have you checked your sound card propereties ?
On mine you have an advanced tab where you can select different quality output from 16bit 4100 Hz to 24bit 19200Hz.
Also depending on the installed sound card I can open the Realtek HD Audio manager I can bring up a 10 band equalizer. This only works on the on board sound card not on an external card.

Your buzzing might be a ground loop problem, you can pick up ground loop isolators cheap enough here are some examples: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 180nwgjk_b
Don't think the dearest are the best I believe they all work as well as one another it's more the one with the fittings to match your setup.
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

Oh Thanks for the reply I have played around some check settings I be leave its set on 24 bit studio Sound. have not played with internal EQ. I can try it. guess I could try a ground loop Insulator it only does it when it is hooked to an outside monitor or TV I did make sure to try the adaptor to get rid of the 3 prong plug no difference. You feel The Lexicon Alpha is better than say a sound blaster I only ask because They have the sound blaster in stores around me.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

How are you connecting to your outside monitors ?
If you are going via an hdmi connection this also carries a sound signal. You can dissable the sound passing through the hdmi from the audio playback properties, this will not affect the video signal.
Normally you can tell if you need a ground loop isolater by just unplugging the computer charger so its just running on batteries, if the hum stops when running from the battery then you need the isolator as it is the charger that mostly causes this problem.
Regards the sound card I don't have one myself, as I said I know a few other karaoke hosts who swear by it. I think my hearig isn't as sensitive as others as I don't really notice that big a difference :mrgreen: I can't comment on the soundblaster card but will say you don't really need surround sound for karaoke.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Accidently reapeated post. Tried deleting this one but couldn't
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

Thanks again for the reply, I got the Buzzing fixed yes I am using HDMI and yes I shut off sound through HDMI, I did go in and tweak the card it did help, I still feel it should be better I say that again because even a regular audio disc played by the laptop does not produce as good of sound as does using the player. In fact I used to use my desk top at home hooked into my sound system just for playing music and it seemed to be spot on un like the laptop. If I could just get that sound a little better Id then be happy. I also realize I don't need surround sound, I really think I would like to try a sound card just not sure which one I guess to try I only mentioned the Blaster card because one of my local stores carry them. I think I would have likes 14 days to return it if it did nothing for. me
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Seeing as you can trial it first might as well give a go. Let us know if it improved the sound for you.
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

I will Update when I get everything tried out
KJ1897

Post by KJ1897 »

Well Update is The Sound Card did seem to make a difference in fact It worked real well I had to go with the one that was close to $100.00 for what I was doing but so far I am happy with it... I will be giving it a much better workout in the next few weeks. Thanks again for all the help...