Home Karaoke PA advice

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
brandx

Home Karaoke PA advice

Post by brandx »

Hello All,

I`m in the process of setting up a karaoke system in my home basement and would like to run my proposed setup by you all and get feedback.

Firstly, the equipment below has been chosen from bestbuy (a retail electronic store) because a large part of the finacing for this equipment is from a gift card. So the make and model of PA equipment is limited.

My current setup is my laptop (karaoke software), a selection of karaoke songs (digital), home surround sound system, and 45in LCD which I plan to use to play & view the CDG-MP3`s.

The vocal portion will be standalone through the PA system i`ll be purchasing.

The equipment i`m considering is listed below

Yamaha 400 Watt Portable Stage PA System (STAGEPAS 400i) (My First choice, but most expensive)
Fender Passport 300 Pro PA System
Behringer Eurolive PA Monitor Speaker (B615D)
Behringer Eurolive 12” Active 2-way PA Monitor Speaker (B12D)
Audix Dynamic Vocal Mic (OM5) Would the OM3 suffice?

The behringer B12D is the cheapest, which if would work well for karaoke would be good, but I think a mixer might also be required?

Anyway, What do you think?

Cheers.

Paradigm Karaoke

Re: Home Karaoke PA advice

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

if you can, (never tried it at best buy) go listen to them. but if not, at home a pair of the B12D's would be fine. the Yamaha is nice, but if you want any more later you are kind of stuck.
you do need zome sort of mixer otherwise you will be changing the speaker setting every song. there is a Behringer at Best Buy that will be fine.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/behringer-x ... Id=3182285
and the OM5 is a great mic, the OM3 is very similar in sound and quality. if you can do the 5, awesome.
i would recommend putting the music through the PA as well as the mics. when separate, it does not sound "mixed" as you would find at a karaoke show or concert but more like you singing along with the radio, just louder.
brandx

Post by brandx »

Wow, another person basically recommended the extact same equipment from bestbuy....... crazzzzy :)

Thanks for the advice. it's looking like a game plan is starting to come together.

I'll probably go with the OM5.

As far as mixing the music and vocals through the PA. Would I simply run my audio cable from my audio out (1/8") on my laptop to a channel on the mixer (converting it to 1/4")?

Thanks again, very helpful.

Cheers,
Geary
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Let me be the third person to recommend the same equipment :) To connect the audio from the laptop to the mixer you will want to use a 1/8" to dual RCA adapter cable.
brandx

Post by brandx »

I'll monitor this post for anymore "input", but am pretty much solid on the equipment now. Time to spend some $$.

Very helpful guys, thanks.

Geary.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I would rather get the YAmaha MG10USBFX because I can hook into the mixer driectly from my laptop using a usb out. No need for the internal or external soundcards. it also has built in compression that will protect your speakers from screamers.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

Best Buy does not sell that particular mixer and he asked specifically for Best Buy suggestions. otherwise i would agree with you on that being a nice mixer.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Then having had the Yamaha Stagepass 300 I can vouch that it is a nice unit and would easily be able to store away well. The mixer has compression built into it as well as simple reverb effects for the vocal channels.