chosing a PA system for cookoffs

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
shane85

chosing a PA system for cookoffs

Post by shane85 »

Hey yall!
Ok we have a cook off team and I want to get a PA system to just play music off my phone via pandora or playlist or whatever while partying. and being able to do karaoke as well.
I talked to a guy at guitar center and looking at the EV ZLX-12p speakers and a powered sub as well. and a mixer.
My questions are...
what should i get to accomplish this?
If the speakers and sub are passive all i need is a mixer to hook to them?
Will my phone/ipod plug in USB or aux? do they have a bluetooth mixer thats good?
any recommendations on what to get will be awesome!
Sorry if my questions dont make that much sense haha!
THANKS!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: chosing a PA system for cookoffs

Post by wiseguy »

I think I would go with the Electro-Voice ZLX15P speakers with 15" woofers and forget about the sub. These are full range speakers and should do the job on their own. You can always add the sub(s) later if needed. These are "active" (powered) speakers and require only a signal feed from a mixer (typically an XLR microphone cable) and power from an electrical outlet. Passive speakers are not powered. You will be able to connect your mobile device to the RCA inputs of the mixer with an adapter cable.
shane85

Post by shane85 »

man thanks so much for the input that helps a lot!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The zlxis a passive speaker all you need to get is a mixer and a power amp. I nwow use a pair of EV ZXA1'S that is the baby of the zx series and they put out massive sound. I also have a Yamaha mg10xu mixer and love it.