Echo

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Chameleon

Echo

Post by Chameleon »

Could someone please suggest a way to include echo with a karaoke set-up if echo is not included with the mixer. I am lead to understand that there is a small piece of equipment that can be placed between the mixer and the speakers. (Passive spkrs)
Thank you for taking the time to read/answer this question.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Echo

Post by wiseguy »

You will want to use reverb as echo is not the same and seldom called for. You could put a reverb signal processor between the mic and the mixer, but unless it's a powered mixer you have, the better solution would probably be to just replace the mixer with one that includes effects. The price of a new mixer would be around the same price as a signal processor.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

You could take a chance on this.: https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/enhancer-exc ... Al3S8P8HAQ
I have no idea if it's any good but probably ok for Home use.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Thanks for the help you guys. Very grateful. Respect.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

yes, you can get an effect unit to add reverb and delay to the mic, but for about the same price you can get a decent board that has it built in. what board are you currently using?
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Thank Paradigm. I have ordered a pre matched kit (I've never tried Karaoke) which will hopefully arrive this week. The mixer is a Resident DJ TMX-2211 3/2 Channel Party DJ Mixer with Talkover which, I believe, does not have echo. I also have a very old mixer that someone gave me OM Professional DJ-6500. It has a PAT sticker on it dated 2001. What I want to try to do is produce a sound similar to the Walker Brothers from the 60s. I always thought Scott Walker sounded great. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Hi again Paradigm. I should have added. I have no intention of bigging this up merely at home and for friends or in my friends bar which holds at a max, 60 people.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You ordered the wrong mixer for what you are wanting to do. The one you ordered not only has no built in effects, it doesn't even have XLR inputs to let you use condenser microphones. If I were you I would send that one back an opt for something like the Behringer 1002FX. The Walker Brothers used a lot of reverb on their mics, no echo at all.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

wiseguy is right. that is not a mixer for karaoke, just dj work which is much less demanding hardware wise. you said you ordered a pre matched kit? what is it and from who? if we can see what all you bought we can go from there and steer you the best way.
-------------------------------edit---------------------------------
please tell me it is not this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL- ... 1962492867
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Hi Paradigm and Wiseguy. I apologise for the delay in responding. Paradigm my heart sank when I saw your post because, yes, that's exactly what I bought. I have since discovered what a mistake that was. There are absolutely no instructions with the 'kit' whatsoever. I contacted Hi-Fi Tower and asked for someone to draw me a diagram of how the kit should be connected but their response was that they were unable to provide any information. I am completely new to Karaoke and thought that buying a kit would make life simple because it would be pre-matched and everything required would be there. Of course I understood that a lap-top and a suitable monitor/TV and requisite leads would have to be supplied by myself. I have spent many frustrating days trying to get it hitched up and working properly and when I finally managed to coax a sound out of the equipment, the results were appalling. It reminded me of when I was a kid and hummed tunes through a comb wrapped in toilet paper. In the end I contacted a friend who has a blues rock group and even he was at a loss. He loaned me an old mixer and that was a great improvement but still not up to what I wanted from this kit plus, the old mixer has lost one channel so only one speaker and microphone. We are going to re-try perhaps Sunday with his modern mixer. I think I may have to buy another mixer and a pair of better microphone. I haven't re-contacted Hi Fi Tower yet but will be doing so shortly. I'll keep you both posted. Thank you both for your interest in my problems.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Hi Wiseguy. Thank you also for your input here. I have checked the Behringer 1002FX but wonder if it's going to be a bit over the top for my needs. There will only ever be two people using the equipment and as I've previously said it would be nice to have some reverb and also the ability to change the key of the musical background. I do find many songs are pitched too high for me. Perhaps you could have a look at my post to Paradigm above. If you have anything to add or suggest I would be delighted to take it on board. If only I could have spoken to people like you two before I bought my equipment. Thanks for your time.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Hi again Wiseguy. I have now re-checked the Behringer and I conclude that your advice is sound, I may even go for the 1202FX. I've been looking at YouTube and listening to people who own and use them and learning how to use them myself. I'm going to borrow a Behringer (not sure which) from a friend to check how it performs with my amp and speakers. Have a good weekend mate.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I recommended the 1202FX because it is the least expensive mixer I know of that has all the features you need. Don't look for a key change feature in a mixer. The key change is a feature of the player whether it be a disc player or software program.

In the end, even though the system you bought is low quality, with a better mixer, and if you set it up properly, it should produce reasonably good sound. The microphones are just a step above a toy so replacing them would also help.

You should not let the company that sold you the system get by with not supplying you with a wiring diagram. If you bought the system through eBay you should contact the seller and threaten to leave a negative feedback and also to contact eBay about their lack of support for their product.
Chameleon

Post by Chameleon »

Wiseguy thanks for your input with this it has been an expensive mistake and I guess I'll learn from it. I will go for the Behringer mixer and I will also change the microphones, maybe for XLRs. I have not yet contacted the company (HiFi Tower) but will do so as soon as I am sure of my facts. You and Paradigm have given me premium guidance and I thank you both for that.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You're welcome Chameleon and I hope you get everything worked out.