Speaker and Mixer Recommendations

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
ymhd872t

Speaker and Mixer Recommendations

Post by ymhd872t »

Hi,

I am looking to set up a new karaoke system and I am new to this. Please bare with me for some of the novice questions. I read through the forum, and decided to go with with a mixer and power speakers, skipping the Amp. (Is this recommended?). If so, I am now looking for recs on the equipment. I came across Behringer XENYX 1202FX in previous posts. However, I think my problem is that the karaoke machine here is an iPad, so the ideal situation is a to have some sort of video and audio input into the mixer and have video output (preferably HDMI) to the TV and the rest goes to the power speakers. Does products exist for my desired set up?

Would love some recs for speakers as well.

Thanks,

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Speaker and Mixer Recommendations

Post by wiseguy »

A mixer with powered speakers is a good way to go. The XENYX 1202FX is a good mixer for karaoke, in my opinion. There is absolutely no reason to run the video through any type of mixer. You will make two output connections from the iPad. The audio will connect to the mixer via a 1/8" TRS to dual RCA adapter cable. The video will connect to the TV with an iPad To HDMI Convert Cable and standard HDMI cable.

People have their preferences when it comes to system components like speakers. My favorite is Yamaha in general and specifically the Yamaha DBR12 or DBR15 powered speakers.
ymhd872t

Post by ymhd872t »

Thanks so much, this is tremendously helpful!

Regarding the speaker, if I were to get the ones you recommended I would need a set of two right?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

ymhd872t wrote:Thanks so much, this is tremendously helpful!

Regarding the speaker, if I were to get the ones you recommended I would need a set of two right?
Yes, to perform in stereo you would need two speakers.
ymhd872t

Post by ymhd872t »

Additional question, I stumbled across this when looking for some what cheaper options.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gear-One/PA ... Package.gc.

It seems to have replaced the powered speaker with a powered mixer. However, since this seems such a good deal on paper. I am rather uneasy as trying to see what the catch is here. Any thoughts?

Thanks
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Is this system going to be for professional use?
ymhd872t

Post by ymhd872t »

Sorry for the delay. This is not for professional use. It's for a home set up.

Thanks
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Unless you are setting up in a very large room the floor monitor speakers are really of no use. But if you do decide on that system you will find it for $100 less at Amazon.

A couple other systems you might consider are the Samson XP308i and the Seismic Audio - Landslide8-PKG22. Both are good quality and should work out well with your home system.
ymhd872t

Post by ymhd872t »

Thanks,

Is it better to get the system? (which i assume have all the items I need) Or better off getting the yamaha powered speakers and the behringer mixer?

Thanks again for your help through all this, really appreciate your expertise.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

you will get better sound from the Behringer board and Yamaha speakers. Samson is ok, Sam Ash house brand, Seismic has made huge strides in the last few years in quality and sound, but neither is up to the Yamahas.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:you will get better sound from the Behringer board and Yamaha speakers. Samson is ok, Sam Ash house brand, Seismic has made huge strides in the last few years in quality and sound, but neither is up to the Yamahas.
I agree.
ymhd872t

Post by ymhd872t »

Thanks Guys! I think the decision is made!