Single speaker karaoke setup

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
johnniz

Single speaker karaoke setup

Post by johnniz »

Hi.

I have a EV ZLX 12" active PA. I have used this for guitar applications, but now it is in the living room gathering dust. Lately I have been thinking of adding a mixer and microphone to make a simple home karaoke setup.

I was wondering how one would go about this when its a single speaker. I have been concidering a Behringer xenyx 1002fx, because this has reverb, but the online manual says nothing about single speaker applications.

The PA speaker has two TRS inputs and an Aux. I get "stereo" sound using the aux for playback through a PC or phone, but I`m not sure I will get a "stereo" sound with only using one of the mixer main outputs. I know "stereo sound" might be a vague term, but I mean not just the right or left channel. Im fully aware that "true stereo" only can be created with two speakers.

Thanks!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Single speaker karaoke setup

Post by wiseguy »

You cannot get stereo sound from a single speaker regardless of what input you use. You can get only the left side or right side of the stereo or both combined into a mono output. That is what you will need to do here. Output a mono signal from the mixer to the powered speaker.
johnniz

Post by johnniz »

Ok. What do you think about running the music through the aux input on the PA (this gives a stereo sound, or at least left and right channels combined) and running the mixer and microphone into the second TRS input (mono)? This effectivly only gives the mic a preamp and reverb (the mixer) into the second mono TRS input.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I see no reason why that wouldn't work.
johnniz

Post by johnniz »

awesome :) Do you know if there is a cheaper option to the Behringer xenyx 1002fx to get some reverb ?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The Alesis Multimix 4 is a little cheaper but for the small price difference I would opt for the BEHRINGER XENYX 1002FX.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

If your speaker has left and right inputs just connect your left and right as normal and the stereo will be summed to mono.
If you only have a single input then you will need to use 2 of the stereo channels on the mixer plugging both left and right into the left of each channel then pan or bal all channels left.
There is full description here for summing various mixers to mono.

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?tit ... k_UB1222FX

It is from a Bose forum but is the same for any single speaker with only one input.
johnniz

Post by johnniz »

wiseguy wrote:The Alesis Multimix 4 is a little cheaper but for the small price difference I would opt for the BEHRINGER XENYX 1002FX.
alright thanks!

In regards to left and right inputs, the manual says: "XLR/TRS INPUT—Balanced input for the connection of signal sources like mixing consoles, instruments or micorphones. Connections can be established using 1/4 inch TRS or XLR connectors."

And it seems that the aux input occupies one of these XLR/TRS inputs when used, so I cant use all 3 at once.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If I were setting this up I would run everything through the mixer and then connect to the speaker with a single XLR cable.