All in one system vs component

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
enzyme80

All in one system vs component

Post by enzyme80 »

Hey - I am looking to get my wife a karaoke system. Her requirements are fairly easy but after a fair amount of research I am still having problems deciding what would be the best route. 99.9 % of the time this will just be used for in house / family and friends. We have a small house and the basement we will be using it in is about 630 sq feet total. Maybe once or twice a year will it be taken to a different location but still just for fun use and nothing major.
My wife wants it to be easy to use, and easy to add music to no matter the source. Easy setup is important to her - she never has cared for most electronics if they are too cumbersome to setup. She also doesn't care about sound quality (seriously like not even a little bit). On the other side of the equation is me. I will be there for most of the karaoke parties she has and I really like my sound. I also love setting up everything and know that i can make a component based system that should be easy for her as well.
She also really likes the idea of having a monitor built in but i think i can sell her on a larger monitor easily enough.
Lastly, this is her christmas present so I will be acting fairly quick.

Here is what I have... (i used to have so much more but my band quit and we sold everything)
a 2007 Macbook pro
I may have a SM57 mic somewhere as well.
a kick ass Windows based PC.
Around 30 CD+Gs (her parents have a cheap all-in-one karaoke machine)

My budget is around 500. I'd love to stay under that if at all possible. Absolute max is 600 but i will be hard pressed to pass the 500 number.
For the all in one I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZU ... 1_1&sr=8-1 it's between this one and the 10 inch version of the same thing.

For a component system
Mixer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5 ... 134cb773c9
Speakers?
Mics - she'd like wireless but that can be done later - probably a SM58 or equivalent.
Player? - Mac laptops seem to not be the best for karaoke so I think a player may be a better idea?
Monitor - I'll take care of that part.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: All in one system vs component

Post by wiseguy »

I don't know who they're trying to fool with that PYLE PKRK212 PA System calling it the "Karaoke Vibe" and mentioning karaoke several times in the description. It doesn't even play CD+G discs! You would be much better off with the Audio 2000 AKJ7809 connected to a TV.

If you go with the Behringer mixer you will need a pair of active speakers which will leave you with very little (if any) money for a player.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

I will take a look at that one. Thanks.

The pyle does have a dvd player on it so i assumed it would take CD+G discs.

Any other suggestions for something within my price range? I know it's going to be on the lower end of anything but it's all I can put towards it.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Phonic/Powe ... Package.gc - Never heard of Phonic anything I should even consider?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

enzyme80 wrote:I will take a look at that one. Thanks.

The pyle does have a dvd player on it so i assumed it would take CD+G discs.

Any other suggestions for something within my price range? I know it's going to be on the lower end of anything but it's all I can put towards it.
CD+G is not a video format. Standard DVD players will not play CD+G discs. There are multi-format players that will play both DVD and CD+G discs but those players will list CD+G as being supported.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

Good information. Thanks!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

enzyme80 wrote:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Phonic/Powe ... Package.gc - Never heard of Phonic anything I should even consider?
I've never heard of Phonic either but there is no shortage of generic components like this to be found. They are in general very poor quality and not reliable. I could find these just like you but I cannot in good conscious recommend any of them. I would not recommend anything less than a pair of BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B212D speakers to go along with the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx mixer. But there goes $480 of your $500 budget.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

That does put a bit of a hurting on the budget. However, white may work! http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B212D-W ... ABehringer

Would the 208s not be enough? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C4 ... PDKIKX0DER

I agree about the no name. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get a trusted name.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

That's crazy. The white speakers are exactly the same as the BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B212D's except for the color. I've actually listened to the BEHRINGER EUROLIVE B212D speakers and I know they sound good and are solidly built. I have no experience with the B208D.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

Thanks man. It's hard putting together something that will be decent with a tight budget.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

as far as a player, most laptops can play cd+g just fine. you may not need a "player" per say.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

my cd player in my laptop is busted. Any recommendations for an external?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

enzyme80 wrote:my cd player in my laptop is busted. Any recommendations for an external?
You can buy a cheap CD+G compatible external drive like the AGPtek USB 2.0 for $26. I don't recommend that you use your computer to play karaoke discs. Rip the songs from your CD+G discs to the hard drive and play them from there with a software player.
enzyme80

Post by enzyme80 »

I think that is the route I am going to go. Tried the software KJam and it seems like enough to be what I would need at least to start off. I am using a MAC and don't have Windows installed on it (though I know I can do that I haven't at this time). So here will be my (wife's) system... Any other changes / ideas before I pull the trigger?
2 - Behringer B212D speakers
1 - Behringer Xenyx 1202fx mixer
1 - AGPtek CD+G external drive
KJams or simular software for Mac.
(mics / cables)...
going to be a little over budget but I think it's worth it.
MixteryMike

Post by MixteryMike »

You may also want to consider Karafun and its streaming service. You'll have access to 21,000+ songs, and the Karafun player is easy to use and supports playing most digital formats. (I'm not sure though if it can play discs via the disc drive.) Also, the Karafun player is free.

The configuration you have listed above is very similar to my home setup. I have:

An HP15 Windows 10 laptop with the Karafun player and streaming service using HDMI out splitter to a TV and to a monitor via a VGA adapter.
Behringer Xenyx X1622USB mixer
Pyle PPHP1237UB 12" powered speakers
Pyle-Pro PDWM5000 VHF Wireless Microphone System

Admittedly, the mixer, speakers, and mics I use are a bit overkill for a home system, but they are equipment I already owned from other things I used to do.