Building a home karaoke system

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
dougthonus

Building a home karaoke system

Post by dougthonus »

I'm looking to build a home karaoke system for my wife as a birthday present. She's Indian and hosts bollywood karaoke parties regularly but would borrow equipment from one of her friends.

Now that we just bought a new house I want to set up our own system in the basement. Something portable would be an added bonus because she has in the past rented out restaurants and halls and thrown karaoke parties outside the home too. I don't think that's so likely anymore, because our new space has plenty of room, but it's a possibility.

The system would primarily reside in our basement which is maybe 1500-2000 square feet. We would typically have 20-30 guests at a party, but with our new found room, we might invite more. When we threw parties out of the house we'd get up to 75.

From what I have seen so far, the source tracks for most hindi stuff is pretty poor. People typically use a website called meragana which has pretty dubious sound quality to me. There are occasionally good tracks, but I haven't seen much in the way of legitimate CD+G entertainment, and we typically just use youtube or meragana and stream the tracks from a laptop.

I'd say my overall budget is around $1000. I presently have no components at all, and I'm not looking to hook up anything to a TV or do anything else with it. This will be strictly for singing/p1laying music.

I get the general gist of the components I need. Either a Mixer and powered speakers or a mixer, amp, and non powered speakers, but I'm not sure what will be good enough. These people at these parties are always fiddling with the settings on the mixer, so I don't want something entry level, but I don't want to go over the top paying for performance I won't use.

I'm looking at a good recommendation or comments on my present thoughts which seem to be the:
Behringer XENYX X1204USB Premium 12-Input 2/2-Bus Mixer
2 Berhinger B115D speakers

Would these components fit my needs well? Too much? Too little? Is there something that's simply better out there for me?

We have at least one high quality shure mic already, but may look to get some wireless mics later.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Building a home karaoke system

Post by wiseguy »

Using a laptop as the player you will certainly want to go with a USB equipped mixer. Not only will it allow for a superior playback connection but it will also allow for bi-directional connectivity which would let you send the finished mix back to the laptop for recording karaoke performances. The XENYX X1204USB is a good mixer but I personally prefer the Yamaha MG10XU because of the superior SPX onboard effects and the fact that it offers XLR speaker outputs that make connecting to active speakers very easy and secure. The Berhinger B115D active speakers will supply plenty of power to cover the room you described.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
dougthonus

Re: Building a home karaoke system

Post by dougthonus »

Thanks for the tip, I switched to the Yamaha MG10XU since it was only a little bit more expensive.

We'll see how it goes when it all arrives!
How to Build a Home Karaoke System