What do I need for a basic karaoke system?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
tiptop20133

What do I need for a basic karaoke system?

Post by tiptop20133 »

My question is very basic. Could you pls help me?

I want to sing karaoke on my television. I found that there are some streaming karaoke apps that can be played on my television.

So is this enough:

A mixer like Allen & Heath ZED-10FX or Mackie 402VLZ4

A wireless microphone

A pair of powered (active) speakers

Is that all I need to connect to my television?

Thank you for your advice.

Nita G

Re: What do I need for a basic karaoke system?

Post by Nita G »

I have one question.... does your system have mids for your vocals? I have been doing karaoke (both as business and at home) for at least 20 years now. I believe I've used it all.... karaoke players (included are a couple all in one systems that even had speaker in unit, I used as rental for my singers to take home and practice), laser disc players, cd+g disc players, and ones that will play vcds... back when I was playing discs. I have also used 3 different regular band type power mixers, even added a separate little mixer to mix my mics... I wore the first unit out, it was a Yamaha powermixer (I think 400 watt), very good.. the next one was good but not as good as the first one... but now I feel I have hit the jack-pot... about 3 yrs ago I purchased a Yamaha system.. it is the Yamaha i600, with 2 lightweight 300 watt speakers, stands & bags to carry it all... it has everything I want... I have several singers who are musicians and songwriters, they bring me their smart phones with their originals so I can play their songs, this system also has a usb input and mini plug input for them... this is awesome. this system has 4 mic inputs with treb., mids, and base... and 3 for instruments or other inputs like my computer... and one main volume, but each channel has it's own adjustments and gains... not one equalizer for everything... this is awesome, first time for me on this one.. remember in choosing a sound system, whatever you choose, my recommendation is make sure it has mids for vocals and separate effects for each channel.... most voices are mid frequencies... unless the singer is very very high or very very low... they are mid. I will never again use a system without mids adjustment... I found that most karaoke players, like my disc machines, did not have them... now I know the difference... I now use a computer to play files I made from all those discs, even captured a full set of pioneer lasers that I have on a shelf in back room... and of course I buy mostly cdg files now, unless I have to buy the disc.. some UK stores won't sell downloads, so if I want their versions of songs I have to buy the discs and rip them... but some are worth it. I use mtu's Hoster and several of their other programs to get them ready for loading.. and have a HP laptop, with a separate internal hard drive for my karaoke files. If laptop crashes, it will only effect the c drive. Laptop HP pavilion dv7 notebook, x64 based, 2013 model, tri-core with 2 internal hard drives 320G each and windows 7. internal memory is 4.00.. oh and I always use an external fan pointed at my C drive vent... processing video (including cdgs and vcds) is very taxing on PC. by keeping my show computer cool and everything kept updated and a good anti-virus... I've kept this computer going, just as good as the day I bought it..
mr.dj

Re: What do I need for a basic karaoke system?

Post by mr.dj »

tiptop20133 wrote:My question is very basic. Could you pls help me?

I want to sing karaoke on my television. I found that there are some streaming karaoke apps that can be played on my television.

So is this enough:

A mixer like Allen & Heath ZED-10FX or Mackie 402VLZ4

A wireless microphone

A pair of powered (active) speakers

Is that all I need to connect to my television?

Thank you for your advice.
Short answer, yes that is enough. The ZED-10FX is far better than the Mackie or another alternative is
Yamaha MG10XU 10-Input Stereo Mixer with Effects.