I need the right amplifier to match my speakers.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
DanG2006

I need the right amplifier to match my speakers.

Post by DanG2006 »

I have a pair of EV ZX1's passive speakers. Their specs say that they are 200 watts continuous, 400 watts program and 800 watts peak. QSC states that you want to have an amplifier that is twice the wattage of the continuous wattage rating which is basically the program rating and when I enter the brand and model of my speakers state that I want an amplifier with 400 watts per side at 8ohms. Would that be correct?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: I need the right amplifier to match my speakers.

Post by wiseguy »

Yes, the rule of thumb is to use an amp that has double the power output of the combined continuous power handling capability of the speakers. The continuous rating is the baseline wattage that the cabinet can handle without risking any harm to the voice coil or other parts of the speaker. The program rating is the maximum wattage that the speaker can handle in bursts. So yes, the 400 watts per side would be the minimum recommended amp power output for those speakers.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Re: I need the right amplifier to match my speakers.

Post by DanG2006 »

Ok. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new amplifier, right now my budget really can't handle a price over $160 unless I use zzounds pay as you pay and I feel like I have too many of those going, I am paying for my EV ZX1's which the final payment is due in December and I am also paying for a pair of mics that if I get rid of my present mixer will not be usable with the mixer that I also financed through zzounds. Don't get me wrong. the speakers sound pretty good with the speakers, I just worry that the mixer might be working too hard since it only puts out 250 watts per channel power wise and the program is 400 watts per channel. So far I have been lucky but I don't want to push it. I am holding off selling the powered mixer until after the 22nd when an owner of a bar that I believe would be a good fit for me music genre wise gets back from vacation. I am actually right now looking at an off brand that is being sold by a dealer that I have bought from before even though I have never heard of the brand before but it meets the specs that I need to have to work with my speakers. If they are anywhere as good and reliable as the other brand that I have bought in the past, supposedly they are part of the same parent company, so I might be safe in assuming that it measures up to the same quality as the other brand. I know about some of the headaches of the Gemini brand and know that the other brand has a much better record of reliability.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads