Package System with songs vs without

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
jaycal

Package System with songs vs without

Post by jaycal »

I looking for a setup that I'd use for home primarily, but also to be used at some events and conferences (would not be charging, since I help organize the events). Family also does singing in various venues, so wanted something that is more than just the simple box with a mic (looking for better sound, multiple mics, etc). Budget $1000.
Reading the forums and various articles on getting started, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options, which is one reason I was looking at a system. I have some screens/monitors, but looking for the rest of the setup (wireless mics (2), expandable might be nice; speakers, mixer, and something to store/play songs). I like the idea of having a unit without a laptop, but that might just be silly - just trying to limit the amount of potential issues that the laptop adds (but if that is just dumb - let me know!)

I looked at items like this: https://www.acekaraoke.com/haceps0817.html#.Wjq1W9-nGbg and others there.

I also found this initially: http://store.singtronic.com/siprcokasysp.html - which is appealing given the songs that are included. However, I can't find much about singtronic (a few references on this sight, but nothing specific). I've also seen people caution against hard drives of songs. But this is appealing given that I would not be spending 100's or more on songs (assuming it is legit). I checked the Better Business Bureau the company, and the have an A rating, but lack of info on the equipment is a bit puzzling to me.

I can certainly dig in more and compare specific components, and saw a number of good recommendations here for mixers and speakers.

So my questions are, if anyone has time or info:
- Are the Signtronic systems worth it and legit?
- Are there other systems or ways to buy more bulk songs (legitimately) - I did not see those options on the sites I looked (recommended here) - unless I missed them?
- Are there are full package systems anyone recommends (or just go to ace and evaluate a few options and pick one)? I was looking for something that was simpler to get and setup (but if that is not a smart move - I'm okay with being told that!).
- Are there good harddrive systems to use or should I just use a laptop and karaoke software on it?

I greatly appreciate any insights, from anyone who has time. Happy holidays!