The Ultimate Kareoke Pro System Setup. Need Help!

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
deutschauto

The Ultimate Kareoke Pro System Setup. Need Help!

Post by deutschauto »

Hi Folks. I'm new here and I've been reading a lot of your threads and I just have to say that your forum is an AMAZING source of information. You all seem very helpful to noobs (Newbies) like me.

I have a few technical questions to ask you since I'm building a system to replace a U-Best DA-168.

If you're not familiar with that product, check it out on

I have the manual if you need more info.

The key for my customer is that he wants a solution where the hard drive can easily be backed up. I.E. a computer solution???

Also, he's fed-up of inputing his CDG titles with a little remote and would rather a keyboard (which the U-Best DA-168 does not yet offer). Again this seems to be pushing us into a Computer based solution.

I'm currently evaluating the Advantages/Disadvantages of 3 of your most popular software choices (From the posts I've seen of what you guys use). MTU's Videohost, Invicion's Compuhost & Tricerasoft Justkaraoke. I'm also considering Tricerasoft's Swift Elite 4.0, Latishawsystems Karma & Unify

I'm not keen on the winamp based solutions; sax & dotty's etc, as I believe that an integrated all in one karaoke player solution is bound to have less longterm problems (from potential software updates) as opposed to these (custom frontends for winamp's backend) solutions. That's why I ruled them out.

However, here are my questions to you: Given that my customer has always benefited from the convenience of a remote control, which of the 3 major players (MTU, Tricerasoft justkaraoke & Compuhost) can be keymapped? Which of these can be controled by a remote controler such as the Snapstream Firefly?

Next. I've read on some of your posts that you absolutely need a Mixer for a karaoke system to work. But how about just using a M-Audio Fast track Ultra which has 4 Mic Preamps with individual gain knobs and here's the key point: It has an onbord DSP mixer with effects which they call "MX Core™ DSP technology"

I like the onboard DSP mixer because it is software based and can be controled by a mouse instead of physically being next to a mixer to mix. Do you this this kind of setup could work???

Also, I'm not clear as to what a sound compressor is and what it does. Is it necessary/important to have in a karaoke rig? Does the M-audio Fast Track Ultra have one?

I'm curious as to which of the 3 Main software players also could be setup so that my customer could setup his show beforehand, press play and let the show run itself while he sings and "schmoozes" with his croud?

Next question (actually getting back to a previous one; lol): If you judge that I still should get a physical mixer and not just the M-audio fast track Ultra. Which setup would you recommend? An all in one solution (USB soundcard, Mixer, 4 Preamps, Compressor, Equalizer, Effects Processor) such as the Behringer X1222USB which you mentioned in previous posts? Plugged in directly via USB into a desktop (with no sound card). Or plugged into the motherboard soundcard (i.e. why would I need a USB in that case???)

Or

Get a more basic exterior soundcard such as an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and a regular Analog mixer with 4 mic preamps with compressor and FX?

Which setup is better; Reliability, Functionality and sound quality wise?

Please keep in mind that although I'm trying to keep price within $2000 (without the music), this is still going into a home theater (the real thing with theater seats lol) that the customer already paid $50000.

This Is why I can't afford to give him an "amateur" setup. And while he is quite computer litterate, I have to keep the setup simple since I'm competing with a U-Best DA-168 with a remote (it doesn't get simpler than that). I'm also hoping to improve his sound quality & give him more functionality with this Computer based setup.

Also, here's some food for thought: What if you wanted to remote control your Karaoke Rig from a loptop or even better a touchpad?

If you have a computer at your rig with a wireless router setup, you could use another laptop, use Remote desktop connection to connect to the computer at your rig and control the karaoke hosting software there. Also, if you have the software based mixer found in the M-audio fast track ultra, you could also control your mixing from your remote laptop. Cool Eh?

Or, let's say you don't have a computer with a router at your rig. You could technically run hosting software from the remote laptop and send the audio video feed to the mixer at your rig using the following IO gear GUWAVKIT kit

So guys tell me if I'm nuts and in dreamland or would these two scenarios be feasible?

Thanks again for all your help & input in this matter. :)

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

WOW..... :shock:

You passed me 25 years ago... :lol:
deutschauto

Post by deutschauto »

Hi Bigdog,

Well, thanks anyways for your interest and trying. I hope someone can give me some good advise as I don't have many replies to my posts. Maybe I asked too many questions lol. Maybe like you said, it sounds too complicated.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Most of us are professional KJs working nightly in bars and parties.

Our systems are professional sound systems geared for this task. We are not into remote control operation. We need to be hands on at all times making mixer/sound adjustments. Nobody uses auto song start features or computer onboard mixers, compression and effects. This sounds extremely complicated to operate during a show or while someone is singing. While my singers sing, I'm busy loading songs in to the queue and making mixing adjustments on a physical mixer.

You are basically talking about a high end home fantasy unit. Hit it and forget it. :lol: While it all sounds good and is probably very possible you're talking out of our league.

Our systems are taken down and moved before and after each show.

I have a karaoke system in my living room but it is a replica of my working system. 18 inch subs and 15 inch and horns on top. I can sit in my recliner and operate everything. My mixer and stuff sits to my left. My computer sits to my right. I can sing all night long without moving from my recliner.
deutschauto

Post by deutschauto »

NICE! I love the recliner karaoke setup you have.
deutschauto

Post by deutschauto »

Thanks for the help guys. I've tried out pretty much all the software and have arrived to the "seemingly" best solutions for this customer. As many of you have said, it's best to try before you settle, since each software has it's respective strengths and advantages. Just pick the features that are the most important to you and it will determine which software is you ideal match.
cmonroe50

Post by cmonroe50 »

I have been very happu with Karma for my home system. It is easy to operate and has playlists and show set up so you could just set up a show and leave if you wanted to. My only complaint is that it has no recording capabilities which would be fun. I think some do. I use a seperate fender amp for the mic. This way I don't get feed back as much. I just recently discovered this. I had been going through my mic in the computer to the surround sound but when I turned it up I had problems. You are way over my head as well but that's my 2 cents. Don't have a remote though.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Home surround sound units aren't made for live vocals. You'll blow the speakers.
cmonroe50

about speakers

Post by cmonroe50 »

good to know
deutschauto

Post by deutschauto »

I had heard about that before (blowing speakers & amps with vocals), but I seems this customer already has some kindof pro amp with speakers as he is currently using it with his CDG player. I ll be sure to look into this with him, but I doubt he will change his amp & speakers as this is not my mandate. But thanks for the heads-up Bigdog. Ill pass the message.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have 2 Boss surround systems with the small qubes.....they started crackin during the karaoke singing.....they are great for CD/TV listening but doing live vocals will kill them.

That is why my living room system is the exact same thing I use in my bar karaoke system. It's a real PA system any band would/could use. The speakers are specifically made for live music and vocals. They can handle the abuse. I haven't blown one in 18 years.

I have a good Kenwood receiver/amplifier in my surround system. I would rather use the real thing.
deutschauto

Post by deutschauto »

Good Advice. Personally, if it were my system, Id probably have a Crown or QSC amp (good one with at least 2000watts) & some good pro. JBL or Cerwin Vega or Peavey 15 inch speakers that can take it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You have to remember that the surround sound system is specifially made for a living room...not a concert hall venue.

You can use it for a while but sooner or later you'll ruin the speakers and maybe the receiver.
bigjohn1

Post by bigjohn1 »

karma and a good set of power speakers would do just fine I use 2 k12s and a small mackie pasive mixer and it works fine
techiebum

Re: The Ultimate Kareoke Pro System Setup. Need Help!

Post by techiebum »

Someone just gave me an old U-Best Karaoke machine. I think it is Da-168. Does anyone have a manual for it? When I turned it on, it says "no disk". How can I move it to the hard-drive mode? Please help. Thanks.