Finding Duplicate Files

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You gotta take it in context. Look at the date of the post. It is way before Computer karaoke hosts were prevalent and the ability to run a show off computer was years away.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

mnementh wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:The permission that Chip alludes to only has to do with Disc to disc.
Actually not true!

The permission allows you to make a backup.

It does not say in any way shape or form what method of backup is implied.

As far as I can see, you can make your backup in any manner you choose.

YOU might choose to believe the backup is in the form of a CD+G disc or I might choose it to be in the form of an MP3+G.

The issue then becomes whether you use your backup and keep your originals safe, or not.

From my point of view, there is neither an implied permisiion to format shift or not, since the MP3+G option wasn't readily available when the permission was given.

Sandy
NOT TRUE

A hard drive back up is a format shift. You didn't originally buy an MPG3 file. You bought a CD+G disc.

A disc copy from a disc is not a format shift.

They made a big deal out of format shifting. The companies only had written agreements and permissions to put the music on a disc. A hard drive became a separate issue. As far as I know ther issue is not resolved. They only way to get the permission to put the music from a disc to a hard drive (format shift) was to pay for the music again to buy that permission.

So if nobody including Sound Choice has paid twice for every song...NOBODY has the permission to put their music on a hard drive as a back up from a disc. PERIOD.

Danny's written paparwork will not stop a lawsuit from the publishers if it doesn't specifically address the format shifting issue.

I wouldn't trust Sound Choice to be the end all voice about it.

The only thing THEIR AUDIT does is tell you THEY won't take you to court. It doesn't release any publishing company or song writer or owner from taking you to court for the unpaid for format shift. Sound Choice can only make that guarantee about their music and only about a 1-1 backup to a disc.

This is where Dan is getting confused and probably by Sound Choice.

Dan...POST THE LINK to a copy of the written permission that says you can legally format shift your songs from a disc to a hard drive. Not the permission to do a 1-1 back up to a disc. One that specifically says hard drive.

I'll wait... :shock:

I might believe you can put them on a hard drive IF you bought the MPG3 files..Backing them up would not be a format shift. That would be a 1-1 copy. But if you wanted to put them (back them up) to a CD+G disc that would be a format shift because the originals were files.

You gotta take it in context. Look at the date of the post. It is way before Computer karaoke hosts were prevalent and the ability to run a show off computer was years away.

Correct and when they found out everyone was putting them on a hard drive (format shifting) then it became a legal issue requiring that the permission to put songs on a hard drive from a dics had to be paid for separately.

Who has paid? I haven't. Did you? Has Sound Choice?

Sound Choice may have paid the publishers again for the permission for every song to be an MPG3 file. Where is the written permission slip?

That piece of paper is the only thing that will stop a court challege from a publisher (not Sound Choice) for format shifting.

Sound Choice just wants to make up some lost money and their promise not to take someone to court is just that...THEIR promise ..That doesn't come from the publishers that own the songs. So they can promise the moon.....doesn't make it legal with the publishers/copyright office. That is where you are getting confused. Maybe on purpose. :roll:

Ignorance of the law doesn't exempt anyone.

How many other suckers have the trapped? With a phoney promise not to sue. It's not going to be up to them.

Oh..your honor..Sound Choice said....Look here on this $6,000 piece of toilet paper...

They can only promise they won't sue you for their end of the deal which is the use of their copyrighted word sweeps and logo. That has nothing to do with format shifting.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Dan...POST THE LINK to a copy of the written permission that says you can legally format shift your songs from a disc to a hard drive. Not the permission to do a 1-1 back up to a disc. One that specifically says hard drive.

I'll wait... :roll:

Just as I Thought..... :shock:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have no way of posting it as I have no way of scanning it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:roll:

Here's the problem...It smells like Bernie Madoff is involved.

Sound Choice if they actually have the permission should want everyone to be able to see it. They should have it posted somewhere so EVERYONE could see it.

I don't believe it has this permission. Which means you and everyone that fell for their audit story doesn't have the legal (according to the copyright law) right to format shift. Meaning you could be in legal trouble with the copyright agency for format shifting without that permission.

So in Sound Choices eyes you're only legal with SC and they don't care about your legality with the copyright agency.

They are throwing you under the bus to get some of their money back. Until I see this paper work I would not believe backing up to a hard drive is legal. That goes for the music I have on my hard drives too.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Oh...this paper needs to be officially from the copyright offices...not something a Sound Choice ambulance chaser drew up in the basement.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Oh...this paper needs to be officially from the copyright offices...not something a Sound Choice ambulance chaser drew up in the basement.
Larson

Re: Finding Duplicate Files

Post by Larson »

i recommend Duplicate Files Deleter for finding duplicate file