Got new computer????

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
cmonroe50

Got new computer????

Post by cmonroe50 »

I use Karma. I had to get a new computer. I hooked up to the TV with the HDMI and it won't detect the display. When I click on 2nd display It won't detect it. What is the problem. I have used the VGA before and it does not work for the sound. You either have to turn the tv to HDMI or PC but not both. Help. I need a karaoke computer geek help!!! I used to use S video through the VCR worked great. Now nothing is working.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Back up.

Do you have the hosting program up and running on the computer and can you see the karaoke screen?

Did you make sure the new computer had Extended desktop capabilites before you bought it?

If it didn't and it doesn't, you're screwed.

My TV has to be hooked up to the computer before I turn the computer on.

Does your TV have an RCA video (yellow) input?
cmonroe50

Computer

Post by cmonroe50 »

yes the hosting program is up there. It has extended desktop. The Desktop comes up on the TV just fine but when I click the other box on Karma for video 2 which usually puts the lyrics up I get the second display not detected. I even got the same make of computer as I had. A sony Vaio. It is very frustrating. Yes the tv has the yellow input but if I hook it that way then I have to go to a different input on the TV. My old computer hooked up with the RCA jacks and and S Video. I found a HDMI to RCA cable online. Wonder if that would work to hook up the old way.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Have you dragged the lyric screen over to the second desk top?

Why so stuck on the s-video inputs?

Try any and every way to get a picture on the TV screen. Use the different video inputs and the menu to switch all the inputs. Channel 3 -4 to. Try everything. See what you can get.

One of my bars switched to new HD TVs. I could get a picture using the RCA inputs but I couldn't get it any other way. I wanted to use coax but that didn't happen. I ended up using a totally different TV with the RCA inputs.

The hardest thing about doing karaoke is hooking up the TVs

I spent 7 hours of my free time trying to get the new bar TVs wired up. It's not the way I expected it to work. But at this stage of the game as long as it is on one TV even though the picture isn't as bright as it should be, I don't care.
mnementh

Re: Got new computer????

Post by mnementh »

cmonroe50 wrote:I use Karma. I had to get a new computer. I hooked up to the TV with the HDMI and it won't detect the display. When I click on 2nd display It won't detect it. What is the problem. I have used the VGA before and it does not work for the sound. You either have to turn the tv to HDMI or PC but not both. Help. I need a karaoke computer geek help!!! I used to use S video through the VCR worked great. Now nothing is working.
Hi there.
1st up, the VGA output doesn't have sound capability, so that's why you have no sound.

I haven't used an HDMI connector from a PC, so can't comment on 2nd display detection. Might be an idea to contact Latshaw and ask if it's supported.

I did a quick Google and it appears that HDMI dual monitor support is not as simple as "plug it in and away you go".

Have a look at this link;

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2900 ... op-Problem

I'd recommend going back to a VGA lead and an additional audio lead as most modern TV's have audio inputs.

As for Bigdog's comment about the difficulty of hooking TV's up, that's one reason I chose Karma as well, as it's a simple click the 2nd monitor box and your extended desktop is working. Too easy for words.

Sandy
cmonroe50

Post by cmonroe50 »

Ok so it has been a few days since I posted this and I have been diligently researching and spending alot of time with support. I have figured it all out and I want to share. For those of you who are just hooking up to your home system this is it..
Use your HDMI plug on your newer computer and hook it directly to the tv HDMI In my case I only had one HDMI port on my tv and it was not being used. the newer tv's have as many as 3 or 4 so take your pick. Now the problem with the sound is it will only come out the tv. This is fine for some but I wanted it to go through my surround speakers and when I put the surrond input to TV the surrond was picking up a tv channel and not the music. Maybe this could be resolved by changin the plugs somehow but I couldn't do that because everything is burried behind in a million wires. I got help from support and I hooked the sound up directly from the headset on computer and went the way I used to through the VCR (because it has the RCA jacks right in front. So you could do it with any component that has easy access to the RCA Jacks. Now here is the tricky part. You have to go into the sound playback devices and select the computer speakers on your computer. In my case it was Realtech. Now even though I selected it it still was coming ou the tv. so I had to unplug the HDMI and replug it in. Then it worked. I use a seperate Fender amp for the microphone so nothing is hooked through the computer unless I want to make a recording with my CD recorder then I have to go through the mic in the computer. AS far as the trouble I was having with the secondary display Support told me to just press the FN +F7 key on my computer and select extended. After I did that my second display with Karma was fine. I don't know why the regular control panel method didn't work but it didn't. So that is it. Now everything is working the way it used to with THe S video and RCA. I think it was a little easier with the S Video but the graphics look a little better. I have sent for a cable that will adapt in case I bring my set up to someone elses house and they don't have HDMI so I will let you know if that works. I could not find this HDMI to RCA jack adapter anywhere localy where I lived. I tried Radio Shack and Frys. It was only 8.50 online so not too bad. Hope this helps all of you with new computers that no longer have the S Video port.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There is another way..

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1105788843 ... s&var=sbar

This uses the VGA (display) out and converts to everything.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

cmonroe50 wrote: AS far as the trouble I was having with the secondary display Support told me to just press the FN +F7 key on my computer and select extended. After I did that my second display with Karma was fine. I don't know why the regular control panel method didn't work but it didn't.
Ah! An even easier problem.

Although I haven't encountered it recently, it used to be common practice to sell laptops with the secondary VGA output switched off and if I remember correctly, you couldn't switch it on through the Control Panel.

You had to use a Function key, namely F7 to switch it on.

This lead to many display problems as it was possible to swich off the laptop LCD panel and use only the secondary output and even worse, switch BOTH off.

This made users believe their laptops had faulty displays, etc. and I believe this is why the secondary output is now defaulted to "ON".

Sandy
cmonroe50

Post by cmonroe50 »

Here is an update to my earlier post. I got the adapter for HDMI to RCA. It did not work! It was a rip off because you can't go from analog to digital. I still have a problem any time I find myself at someones house or club house with an older tv with no HDMI. Without the S video on the computer it seems very difficult to hook up. Recently someone asked me to bring my Karaoke system to a clubhouse and it was an older TV. I had to just run the lyrics off the computer screen and brought my own sound. It was not so hot because I only have a 15 inch screen. I guess I will have to explore the VGA rout, however some tv's are so old they don't even have that. Any ideas. Just so you know. I am not a KJ. I do not do this for money just friends.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you want to use old TV's you are going to need to end up with a VHF coaxial connection. You would need to convert the VGA to either composite RCA or S-video with a converter like this one and then use an RF modulator to convert this to VHF with coaxial out.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

get a computer monitor that you can bring with you. Then you can use the VGA out without any convertor.